PDA

View Full Version : riding in massachusetts

mbg75
06-10-2003, 09:16 PM
i heard there is legal riding in massachusetts? anyone know about this?

Doc86R
06-13-2003, 05:53 PM
lots of places to ride in western mass, but you need to register in order to avoid hassles, its $30 for two years and you have to mount a plate on the trike.

The 5 western state parks allow ATVs:
http://www.state.ma.us/dem/recreate/orv.htm

The state park trails are mostly technical, 4wd oriented - but you find alot of public land to ride on plus some of the snowmobile trails can be used. Potter Mtn road (east of the Pittsfield State Forest) is an old fire road that you can really rip on, plus it ties into a power line system. My new favorite place is Hinsdale where we unload at an electrical substation and ride the power lines plus the snowmobile trails that intersect. Met one of Hinsdale's finest last weekend while we were unloading and he gave us no grief.

86350X
06-19-2003, 03:46 AM
There are places everywhere, even here on thesouth shore near boston,,,, I ca leave from my driveway to a couplespots, r drive between 10-45 minutes to get to some other "legal" places

Green Monster
07-08-2003, 03:25 PM
:?: Do they allow 3-wheelers because I know Vermont does not, they only allow 4-wheelers on the trails. Insurance reasons I guess.

Doc86R
07-12-2003, 06:09 PM
haven't seen any differences b/n trikes and carts; in fact the registration is the same for 2, 3 or 4 wheels

Tecate performance
07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
doc 86r, have you ridden at october mountain? i haven't been there in about 6 years, but there used to be a killer sand pit that you could access from one of the parking areas in addition to all the trails.

Doc86R
07-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Nope, haven't ridden there - really a newbie to the area, been riding about 3 years now. Buddy of mine went to OM and did a technical ride with the local atv club a couple of weeks ago- did about 30mi of rock crawling in 6 hours and he might know where the pit is. I'm pressing him, 'cause my fav pit was posted this year:( Do you remember if it was on the north (Pittsfield Lenox) side or the south side (Lee)?