PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 250r or any other trike

bebeav
06-10-2003, 09:47 PM
anyone seen some project like that. if yes send me link, info everything you know, i,m really interesting?

will a 2 stroke engine handle a turbo??

ALP
Beav

Kilborg
06-11-2003, 02:03 PM
A 2 stroke will indeed handle some forced induction. I see guys running NOS all the time. Nos of course isn't quite the same, but its a similar principal. Detroit Diesel makes some 2500 (and up) horsepower 2 cycle diesel engines which are turbocharged.

The problem is mostly money. You can wring more power out of a 250r then the stock bottom end can handle without any means of forced induction with the right engine builder and component selection. Beef up the bottom end, and there is still room for improvement without the forced induction. If your goal was over 100 horsepower, and you had lots of funds, the turbocharger would be a viable solution. However, your going to run into problems with Fuel management and durability running much boost pressure. If you could hook up with a good engine builder, you might be able to get the fuel management and boost pressures down pat, only once you get the engine able to reliably handle the forced induction.

In short, its not a really viable solution economically. If you have the funds to burn, by all means...but you can get as much power in a 250r as you need for anything but hardcore sand drags without forced induction.

Kilborg
06-11-2003, 03:06 PM
A few other points i thought up...

Routing! have fun getting a turbo into a 250r chassis, they are tight enough as it is with the 250 engine. you could possibly rig up a side mount, but there would still be a veritable jungle gym of tubing and the like. You could side-mount the turbo..but it would have a chance of being ripped off in many situations, making it even less versatile. Drag racing would probably be about all you could do.

powerband...2 strokes usually have a fairly narrow powerband, but this has been improved through the use of reedvalve induction and powervalves. A turbocharger will siginificantly up the rev range, and without some porting and other mods the 250r just doesnt make topend. You need a good deal of pressure to spin a turbo of a size that would make a significant difference. Add this to the fact that you typically want to run lower compression, and you will lose a TON of bottom end. Like I said before, turbocharging a trike would only be really viable for racing since it would make most of its power in the upper rev ranges.

Hope this helps, ill probanbly come up with some more ideas for you here as I sit and think it over.

FullBore
06-11-2003, 05:51 PM
It is VERY difficlut to Turbo or Supercharge a 2 stroke, It'll generally just blow the crankcase oil seals plus you've got poor'ish piston sealing too, get a 4 stroke to turbo, much easier.
The Detroit 2 stroke diesel had a sump with oil in the same as a car engine it just had inlet ports operated by the piston, the blower was just just push the exhaust gas out mainly, usually 4 valve per cylinder, all exhaust valves!

Nat

bebeav
06-11-2003, 06:34 PM
umm that's what i call real information dude, thx alot Jonnhy Blaze

where to place the turbo? umm I think about it a bit and the solution i found is : put it where the sotck air box is and then find a new place for the filter. loll but i know it would be hard that's where i found a real prob :)

but i think before turbocharging my trike i'll bring him to a little 50-60hp :¬} (if i can) and keep it N/A

ALP
Beav

Kilborg
06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah, no problem..You should have no problem at all getting 50 horses out of a 250, but it will cost some money.

200xer
06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
I remember an article in dirt wheels about a turbo banshee. They had to find the smallest turbo they could find and felt that the banshee passed enough gases to turn it good. So I'd say it'd be way too difficult to do a 250 motor.

bebeav
06-12-2003, 09:13 PM
ok, but if someday i try it i'll tell you all, and i think i'll take a turbo from a 3 cyl. firefly or the 9b from a 1.6l dodge colt sohc.

thx for all the reply guys

ALP
Beav

bebeav
11-04-2003, 01:11 AM
i'm back with the turbo idea but now it's only for general information for futher project maybe.

i read a lot of stuff on turbo and etc.

i found that a draw through setup would be more easy to do and less dangerous for the engine.

the room for a turbo isn't really a prob the real big problem is there : fuel and oil supply.

fuel supply : will the stock carb with larger main and idle jet would be enough?? or will it need an accelerator pump or a bigger carb??

oil supply : a turbo need oil to turn the problem is that a 2 stroke engine doesn't have an oil ¨reserve¨ for engine oil, it's already mixed with gasoline. so here's my guess on that problem; a box full of oil where the inlet and outlet of the turbo line would plug. would it work for the oil idea?

ALP
Beav

Dan Tenn
11-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Another issue with this concept is the fact that you are only dealing with 1 cylinder. Has anyone ever seen a single cylinder turbo? I doubt it. If one does exist, it more than likely is a crappy prototype that did not work. The other problem that was stated earlier is that it is a two stroke. There just isnt enough top end exhaust pressure to run it. A banshee would be better due to it being a twin, that way there is a more consistent flow to the turbo. There are many problems associated with turbo charging a single. If you really want boost, I would first try super charging. I forgot that another reason you cant turbo a two stroke is because of the reeds, you need to convert to an electronically controlled fuel injection.

HemiChallenger71
11-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Turbo sleds are common, but of course they are fuel injected, powervalved and usually 2-3 cylinders. The real mystery is how they oil them, because you cannot use 2 cycle oil, it has to be 10W-30 or thicker to even be safe. You have to have a constant flow of oil and coolant also to the turbo to keep it alive for any longer than 5 sec. There are turbos without coolant lines, but the oiling is still a problem. Little electric motors? That's all I can think of, those turbos spin at around 30,000 RPM too. I'm sure a snowmobile board would have a awnser to all our questions. It wouldn't be that hard to turbo a 250R I dont think, just a lot of custom intake an exhaust work, with the carb before the turbo. I'm sure a super small turbo like someone mentioned erlier would have no problem spooling up with the 250r, you would need a forged piston and rod at least to hold up to the boost though. You would have to clean out the exhaust often also because of all the oil in it. I'm sure you would have to run a fuel pump too. All in all it would be more worth your time to just get the power out of the motor N/A because it's easier and more reliable. A turbo 250R of any sort especially a 3 wheeler would be sweet though.

TeCaTe_MaN
11-05-2003, 01:27 AM
check this $h!t out!

KASEY
11-05-2003, 02:25 AM
ONE THING AND THE MOST INPORTANT IS ,,, the two stoke 250r uses a expantion chanber to scavenge fuel and exahust gas putting a turbo on eliminates the effect of the pipe... it wont ever work properly,,,, cause you will never get a sound wave back thru a turbo to help close off the exahust port ,,,,,,,,,,, which is very important in a two stroke engine,,,,,,,,,,,

samster143
11-07-2003, 08:02 PM
turbo goes after the expansion chamber.

TrikeKid
11-08-2003, 03:54 AM
its not a two stroke but it is a blown twin carb 50 engine

bigred110
11-08-2003, 04:07 AM
Their was a company that was going to make a turbo kit for the predator. I'll post more info about if some one whats it, gotta go through my mags to find it.

bebeav
11-08-2003, 03:38 PM
yeah i also read something about a turbo kit for the predator. they already make one for the 400ex and raptor.

someone told me that he saw a turbo blaster. turbo coming from a turbo dodge car. i'll try to get more information about this blaster cause if a blaster can be turboed a 250r will be also possible.

ALP
Beav

NOS_350X
11-08-2003, 03:47 PM
about a week after i bought my 350x there was a turbocharger on ebay for it. it was recomended for 400-700cc 4 strokes and 250 -400cc 2 strokes but it was listed for a 350x atc

250rAL
11-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Years ago, one of the magazines had a Honda Foreman with a turbo. They said it would pull wheelies in fourth gear.

Da_Catt
11-09-2003, 04:16 PM
i have seen a turbo 250r 4wheeler race at the drag strip. it was fast. he used a aerocharger turbo i think. that was a little more than a year ago i saw it. there is also this place http://www.kmsturbo.com/ nothing for a 250r.