PDA

View Full Version : Banshee or 400ex, Which to get??

Dynofox
06-11-2003, 02:55 AM
My dad and I are thinking of going in together on either a used banshee or 400ex. We would be buying the quad so he would have something to ride when he wants and so I have something other than my Z to ride. The quad would be used for trail riding by both of us. I'm used to riding my Z and his last quad was 10 years ago when he raced a modded 250 quad racer. Which do you think would be the better choice? I like the idea of the banshee since it's been around for so long it will be easier to find a cheaper used one and the power is much better than the ex. If I had the money we'd get a yfz 450! :D

Dynofox
06-11-2003, 02:58 AM
One other question; i've heard the banshee can be a handfull in the woods, would it be any harder to control than my modded z?

200xman
06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
I was riding a Banshee this weekend with a fresh stock topend, FMF fatty pipes and jets, and straight hauler paddles and it would pull the front tires up in 4th when it hit the powerband. I think a banshee would be too much for the woods.

TimSr
06-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Both are bargains right now, new or used because of the new model releases, and both would probably work out fine. Its wise to gear low for the woods for either one, and more critical on the Banshee so you can keep the revs up and keep it cleaned out, but they both very wide turning, and neither has reverse so I dont see any real advantage to one over over the other. The STOCK 4 stroker has a lot more bottem end, and that might be a consideration if your woods riding invloves hillclimbing. The Banshee can be tuned for awesome low end as well. I too have heard the Banshee is a "handful" or "too much" in the woods but Im clueless as to what that means, or in what way. Its no harder to maneuver than the other large sport quads, including my 250R, and the throttle response will not be nearly as radical as your TriZ, beacause of a heavy front end and excess power being disipated through wheelspin instead of wheelie. This is just my personal experience riding Banshees in the woods.

cmracer15
06-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Are the trails open in the woods? where u could ride at a moderate speed? ( 2-3rd gear 1/2+ throttle)..i would go with the banshee, Especialy if u have alot of open areas, but if the trails are tight and require slow speeds, id go with the 400, you will have nothin but trouble tryin to keep a banshee running going 5 mph for 2-3 hours. Mainly the fact of it bein a 2 stroke.

J.D.
06-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Like Tim said, gearing it low can solve the 5mph issue.

ATC crazy
06-11-2003, 03:00 PM
I would get the 400ex if the trails are tight. On the Banshee, you have to constantly "feather" the clutch to keep the power coming. It's very hard on the clutch too. The 400ex just feels right at home in the woods...perfect egronomics, handling, and suspension...and thats the strong points a quad needs through woods with roots and rocks littering the trail. (My Foreman kills me on the rough stuff :x )

Wickedfinger
06-11-2003, 03:56 PM
My Banshee was a royal pain in the ass in the tight woods I ride in. Nothing but constant throttle blipping and clutch feathering. Do yourself a favor and go with the 400EX.

Bill X_R
06-11-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't have much saddle time on either one, But I would go for the Shee with the exception of I thought the handling was terrible...I can't really explain it...I just know I didn't like it. I'm sure if I was able to log some more hours on it I would have grown to adapt to it. The 400 is great handling quad, but I in my opinion is low on power...I like something to "HIT" and hit hard, when you gas it. They will spin the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of some tires, but hey, isn't that half the fun? Rippin stuff up! Find both quads your willing to purchase...Then just be up-front with the dude (or chick...got to be P.C.) and have your cash in hand, so he knows your not just lookin for a joy ride...ride both quads and buy the one you guys like!

Keep us posted!

Dynofox<----The most level headed 21 yr old, I've ever met!

Keep us posted!

YTZ250#1
06-11-2003, 11:18 PM
for trail riding I'd have to say the 400 would be your best bet.mine was
great,with a dyno jet kit they have plenty power to get you any where.they also handle better than most quads.

Bill X_R
06-12-2003, 11:08 AM
with a dyno jet kit they have plenty power to get you any where

I thought Iread in Dirt wheels that a pipe and jet kit only added like 1 more hp to a 400? I'll have to look tonight to see if I was dreaming or something.

350Xccelerator
06-12-2003, 01:50 PM
if you go trail riding you should get the EX

ATC crazy
06-12-2003, 02:42 PM

I thought Iread in Dirt wheels that a pipe and jet kit only added like 1 more hp to a 400? I'll have to look tonight to see if I was dreaming or something.

Yes, you're dreaming.

Bill X_R
06-12-2003, 06:35 PM

Yes, you're dreaming.

No actually, I don't think I was!

SOURCE:

Dirt Wheels Feb 2002

ATC crazy
06-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Actually, I was right in a way. At 3500 RPM the stocker puts out 10.2HP. The Pro Circuit pipe at 3500 RPM makes 15.9HP. Thats a 5.7 HP gain. AND the CT makes 16.3 at 4000RPM compared to the stockers 11 or 12 (I'm only guessing the stock HP at 4000RPM based on the 3500RPM tests)
This is from the March 2001 issue.

They should try the Snuff 'R' Not end cap on the E-Series...I bet it would put out some more ponies then.

Bill X_R
06-12-2003, 08:29 PM
OH YEA!!!...WELL MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!!!

The 400 makes 15 hp stock

Source:

Memory!

Ummmmm after giving it some thought...I'm not sure if thats correct or not?

Wickedfinger
06-12-2003, 11:11 PM
According to Honda, the 400EX motor puts out 27.8 HP Peak Horsepower -which is the same rating as the 350X motor.

YTZ250#1
06-13-2003, 12:05 AM
BILL THATS A PIPE SHOOT OUT.NOT A JET KIT.WITH THE STOCK PIPE AND A JET KIT (K&N FILTER &JETS)THE QUAD RUNS THE BEST.I would
put my EX (if I still had it)up aginst any DS(in the trails)and drink a beer
before you cought up.you need more saddle time on a honda.the peek
power might be much,but the honda handling is the chit.

Yes, you're dreaming.

No actually, I don't think I was!

SOURCE:

Dirt Wheels Feb 2002

Bill X_R
06-13-2003, 12:24 AM
YTZ...the only thing that is going to keep me from being on your azz and passing you on the trails on your 400 that you got rid of, is two things!
1 is a tree...2 is also a tree that is less than 52 inches away from tree # 1

GAWD I"M FUNNY!!!!

Have a GREAT day!!

ATC crazy
06-13-2003, 11:44 AM
OH YEA!!!...WELL MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!!!

:D LMAO

200xer
06-13-2003, 05:45 PM
400ex is an amazing trail quad. Ride it all day and not get tired. They are going for under 3500 on ebay. Nobody can match Honda reliability also. My uncle picked up 2 last year, both with very very low hours in the Syracuse area for $4000 a piece. They looked like brand new.

Dynofox
06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
We went an looked at a mint 99 400ex today and we're going to pick it up on monday night! :D I'll post some pics of it when we get it here, thanks for all the relpys!

sweetquads
06-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Ive ridden both the Banshee and the 400ex. The 400 will handle alot better in the woods, mostly cause of the suspension. I never tried to adjust the banshee though for woods riding. I also never had a problem with the 2-stroke aspect of the banshee in the woods. on the contrary since it was a 2stroke it was more forgiving when you wanted to take off.(IMO) I notice my Z-400 wants to take off alot more quickly and pull the wheels up going around corners(not the best situation) Also the ass of the banshee sits lower than the 400 so i was always bashing it on rocks and stumps. If you are a light(not fat) rider the Banshee is ok for the woods and will smoke the 400 anywhere else. If your a heavy rider i would just get the 400 be it a honda or Z.

350Xrider
06-16-2003, 01:16 PM
If you ask me there is nothing amazing about the 400ex in any place. I mean look at the motor the 350x is close to the same thing really other than it has a dry sump system and it's a 5 speed. The ex has a good suspension and handeling but thats about it. The 17 year old 350X is a better motor because it is geared better and the powerband is a little broader. I mean look at the 400ex it has 15/38 gearing and it is a 5 speed and stock it will not anywhere near a stock 350x,and if you geared it to pull anything in second gear it would be so slow it wouldn't even be funny. Both the the 400ex's I rode would hardly pull a hill in 2nd gear without a run and if it was very steep you might have had to hit 1st. ran about on par with a 200x from what i could tell.I was dissapointed with it. I think they geared the bike all wrong. I have rode one modified with a pipe and jet kit,and it was decent but the other one I rode with a pipe and jet kit made no real difference. the e-series was the only one that mattered and it cost dam near $300.

ATC crazy
06-16-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't think the EX was running right that day...

I can pull hills in 4th gear on my FOREMAN! They are no small hills either.

REDMAN225
06-19-2003, 03:16 PM
good decision for a woods quad.

ridesa02400ex
07-06-2003, 11:14 PM
when you get it get a renthal 14t counter sprocket for it and who cares if it doesnt have as much power as a 350x or whatever all of the fo hundreds power can be used because it has the handling power is useless unless you can handle it