PDA

View Full Version : Backfires thru carb and pipe

Hayward
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
After 3 good soakings and cleaning carb., I got my '84 TRX200 to rev up. Now I developed another problem, backfires through carb , bad. Also does not idle well at all. I hear the backfiring out the exhaust while trying to idle. I did not notice any backfiring before the last carb cleaning, carb kit, new air filter and spark plug. Any suggestions on the backfiring issue ? valves maybe ?

MTS
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Give the valves an adjustment, adjust the cam chain tensionor, worst case your cam chain is worn and it skipped a few teeth, or your cam is done.

Erics350x
05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
you could have a rocker arm too tight or its outta time or a broken flywheel key

Hayward
05-24-2008, 12:43 AM
you could have a rocker arm too tight or its outta time or a broken flywheel key

I attempted setting the timing but, evidently, I'm not doing something right. I open the cover to check the 'T' mark , cranked up and oil covered the side of the bike before I could shut it down. Is it normal to blow out of the hole like that ?

Erics350x
05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Why would you be cranking it while checking the cam timing? It's not like setting the distributor on a car. You need to set the engine at TDC and see if the cam gear marks are aligned

Hayward
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Why would you be cranking it while checking the cam timing? It's not like setting the distributor on a car. You need to set the engine at TDC and see if the cam gear marks are aligned

I was trying to check ignition timing with light. I assume you don't think that was a wise idea.? I cranked up and set cam chain tensioner but, have not checked cam gear marks. Beings you've mentioned it, I'll try that.

Erics350x
05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
it realy sounds like a busted flywheel key or valve adjustment

Hayward
05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Thank you, Eric, for all these suggestions. I have adjusted valves and will pull the cover and check the flywheel key.