PDA

View Full Version : selling a trike on ebay question

Jim mac
05-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I decided to try and sell the trikes (87 200X's) on ebay. So for you guys thats done this before. How do you deal with shipping? We've sold a few car parts and stuff that fits in boxes. But never anything big. Lastly I understand you get the money in your paypal acct. transfer it to your regular bank acct. once it's in your bank acct. its pretty much a for sure transfer, that theres no nigerian bank scam they can do, correct? thanks jim

DeePa
05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
well, you can do 2 things for shipping.

one is not offer it. make it local pick up only. Or offer to deliver up to x miles for a set fee or x cents per mile.

Two is look up a shipping company in your area. Forward Air is one that I know of. Others will chime in for more. You can offer to drop it off at a location for shipping, or just say that buyer is responsible for all costs of shipping. Such as crating, pick up, actual delivery, insurance, and whatever else goes with it.

As far as paypal, once that money is in your paypal account, and you transfer it to your bank account, its yours. You can avoid scams by looking buyers feedback rating, as well as good communication after the sale. Just be sure to list the item correctly, dont hide any big problems, and say sold as is. The more detailed the pictures, the better. Videos of it running really help too. Be honest and cover your ass and its not going to come back and bite you.

Mike

Jim mac
05-25-2008, 12:07 PM
thanks for the input. I really wanted to just sell it local, that way the buyer can check it out in person. I only see one real issue with one of them, which is the stop on the kick start is worn and the nub on the end is worn so it wont stay in. I tried the local craigslist. But I dont think ATC's get any real response around here. Jim

devilman
05-25-2008, 03:39 PM
watch out for the guy that says "i'll send you a check for X amount of money to cover purchase and shipping. send extra many western union to such and such shipping company. big scam, i had this happen on a caddy i tried selling. lucky the bank caught the counterfit check for $16000.00

Huffa
05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
By saying no shipping though you may be hurting the sale $$ wise but I always list no shipping anyways BUT here is what happened..........

I (I'm from PA) listed a 250SX about 2 months ago and stated just that, NO SHIPPING/PICK UP ONLY and who bids on it, a guy from Texas!

I called him since he left a # and said that is highly frowned upon, to bid on something then later tell the seller your from out of state and need it shipped but did agree if he scheduled P/U to my door and it was simply wheeled on a truck, there would be no problem.

Well that's just what happened, I got 400 more then I expected and most likely would have not got near that if I didn't agree on shipping it.

he saved around $300 on shipping by listing it up for bids at http://www.uship.com/shipping/vehicles/?&gclid=CJWYkLfCwpMCFQQbFQod-g7dDg

A straight flat bed truck came and picked it up, then took it back to there location where a tractor trailer would have more room to do the pick up.

I guess that was their policy so you don't have a huge tractor trailer coming in small neighborhoods and possibly running into a problem where to park/turn around.

Jim mac
05-25-2008, 08:13 PM
I posted on craigslist to see if I could save myself the hassle. guy in illinois wants it, has a friend in phoenix thats got another 86 200X that he bought. He might have his friend pick them both up and pay for them at the same time. (cash). Then later this summer he's planning on coming down and getting all three trikes. You know the saying. "a friend in need, is a pain in the @ss." Jim

Jim mac
05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree about the buying sight unseen. I just sold my 84 200X today. I already got 2 calls back on the trike, 1st was how to adjust the idle on the carb.
2nd it quit running. lost compression. but was told he may have overheated it. Then again I talked him through a valve adjustment. He was saying that the rockers didnt feel like it had any lash in them. Hopefully he got it straightened out. Other than that, he said it ran great, shifted great, clutch worked fine. So im hoping it was just a matter of cleaning it out. Jim