PDA

View Full Version : Automatic vs. Manual (cars/trucks)

PowerTrike
06-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Well I'm in the market for my first car or truck (probably a truck or a blazer/jimmy). What would you guys reccomend buying and why. I wouldn't be doing much towing. I am considering a manual for the fun factor and better off road capabilities. I would drive in town (some stop and go) but not much big city driving. Since I will probably be getting an older rig would you reccomend an auto? I've heard that manuals wear out faster and the last thing i want to do is put a new tranny in a rig that i just bought. Thanks for any advice :)

smokinwrench
06-11-2003, 09:39 PM
I say automatic 100%. My first 3 vehicles were stick and I swore that I would never own another (unless its a good deal).

AUTO good points- 1 Easier to drive 2 easier to have your girl friend sit next to ya 3 easier to undo your girl friends bra while cruising 4 gear shift will never be in the way while making out.

Manual good points- 1 its fun for a little while but soon gets boring

Josh

Billy Golightly
06-11-2003, 09:42 PM
After putting the 5 spd overdrive manual transmission swap into my dads 94 F-250, I almost cannot stand to drive an automatic anymore. I get into cars/trucks with an auto and I'm always trying to find the clutch pedal and the stick. Personally I really like stick shifts and like them better then auto's. But, Admittingly if your doing alot of in town stop and go driving, an auto is better.

TrikeKid
06-11-2003, 10:09 PM
I'd go auto because it is better off-roading capabilities because you're not trying to clutch,brake,gas and shift at the same time

FullBore
06-12-2003, 05:56 PM
There is admittedly a lot more to go wrong in an auto tranny, I don't know much about them so I can't say anything about them, I like Autos because you can just stick the pedal to the metal and keep it there, but I like manuals better because of the way you can cog it down a gear and take off!, also love clutches!
Shame I have a 110!

Nat

J.D.
06-12-2003, 06:04 PM
I'd go auto because it is better off-roading capabilities because you're not trying to clutch,brake,gas and shift at the same time

I highly disagree, I think a stick is better in off-road situations, you don't continually have the tranny telling YOU what gear you're gonna be in.

Overall, I like sticks best. Better gas mileage, less of a strain on the engine, YOU decide what gear your in, much better for peel-outs, less maintenace, auto trannys go out way more often than manuals. Infact, I've never heard of anything going wrong with a stick except clutch bearings. Never heard of any tranny probs(allthough I'm sure they do occur.) Overall I think a stick is a much better choice than an auto. People say you lose fun with sticks over time, I've been using a stick for 7 years and I still love them today just as much as I did then.

Kilborg
06-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Goku, your right there...but also wrong. For hardcore mud (im talking real mud), automatics are the only option unless you have enough power and speed to be able effectively to pull a gear and keep enough foward momentum without bogging the engine...you lose a ton of wheelspin in the real muddy situations as you shift.

I prefer standard, since you get more control over the vehicle mainly. Not only is it more fun, but it also keeps you more on the ball while driving around (easier to space out when you aint gotta shift). You gain such an understanding of zen when driving a standard effectively you would not even understand, its just there. Too bad about 7-10% of vehicles nowadays are standards.

ATC crazy
06-12-2003, 07:04 PM
I highly disagree, I think a stick is better in off-road situations, you don't continually have the tranny telling YOU what gear you're gonna be in.

Overall, I like sticks best. Better gas mileage, less of a strain on the engine, YOU decide what gear your in, much better for peel-outs, less maintenace, auto trannys go out way more often than manuals. Infact, I've never heard of anything going wrong with a stick except clutch bearings. Never heard of any tranny probs(allthough I'm sure they do occur.) Overall I think a stick is a much better choice than an auto. People say you lose fun with sticks over time, I've been using a stick for 7 years and I still love them today just as much as I did then.

On auto's it has gear selectors for 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gear so it locks right in.

I love auto's...just set it and forget it. The tranny in out Aerostar has over 160,000 miles on it. My dad had it taken apart 5 years ago and the mechanic said that there was some metal shavings in the pan. Dad said to bolt it back together and she's still running strong today. It shifts very strong and brisk. I just think the sticks are too complicated...You almost need 3 legs to work them at times. Around town you cant eat, or drink or even talk on them tiny cell phones w/ only 2 hands easily. I'm sticking to auto's and will never get a stick. :x

TrikeKid
06-12-2003, 07:06 PM
My uncle runs an auto in his jeep and it is nice because all you have to do is hit the gas plus it can stop faster and you consentrate on driving instead of shifting and clutching. Also most autos arent so stubborn that they cant be told what gear to stay in

350Xrider
06-13-2003, 02:13 PM
I think it should be mandatory that everyone drive a stick,maybe it'd cut down on the number of people talking on their phones as they drive. Every time I pass someone I see they have a dam cell phone stuck up to their head. I personally drive a 1982 F.150 4X4 with a 4 speed and a bad clutch and throwout bearing at the time,it also jumps third quite frequently,so that really keeps you on the ball.lol

Billy Golightly
06-13-2003, 03:19 PM
automatic=Quad
stick=threewheeler

ones easier, and ones harder. Each have their good and bad sides.