PDA

View Full Version : 97 Banshee

SCEADU
05-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I am looking at a 97 Banshee to buy. The owner says that he was riding it and 1 cylinder went down and he tried to get it back to the camp and the other cylinder went out. You can kick it over but it won't start. I asked him what mix he was running and he said 50:1. Could he have burnt a hole in the top of the pistonws? If so how much would it cost to rebuild it. It has had some work done to it such as the 2 to 1 carb mod and FMF fatty pipes and silencers.

mike from long island
05-26-2008, 08:31 PM
A few things could have gone wrong.Wrong jetting is one.Here is a quick rebuild kit I found on ebay for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BANSHEE-ATV-PARTS-TOP-END-Piston-REBUILD-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ43977QQihZ007QQitemZ170188037275QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 08:10 AM
The machine's chasis is in good shape. It has the single carb as I stated before, Why would you want to run the single carb over the twins? If I get this is it easy to go back to the twins? I can see where the chain must have derailed and slammed the case but there is now evidence of any leaks. What should the compression be? If he did run it lean what is the chances of the bottom end bearing being bad?

diggerzmound
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
It probably needs a rebuild, bore and pistons. Riding on one cylinder is not good. The single carb makes a little more responsive machine has a little more bottom end and less top. Easier to tune too. The compression should be over 100 and within 20% side to side.

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 03:48 PM
can the pistons be replaced with the block in the frame or will iot have to be removed?

Mosh
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Banshee's are about the easiest quads to work on.

Compression should be no less than 115 on a good stock engine.Depending on sea-level

More than likely,the left side crank bearing is bad.The stator cover gets water in there,then chews up the seal,and then the bearing goes and the piston slams the spark plug gap closed.Pull the plugs and see if the electrode is smashed.If so,it will need a new crank.

Bore 80 bucks
piston kit 229

Crank,329

seals 30 bucks.

The 2 into carb might not have been sealing well and leaned out the engine.I personally think they are worthless.
Twin carbs are great,if you know how to sync them in well.

I have owned many banshee's.I think they are the best quads,if they are set-up well and you are not mx racing one.

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks Mosh. I am now on ebay looking for the stock carbs one set is $60 "BIN" price. did you see the link for the pistons above @ $119. Oh and check your PM's

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
What iis the TORS system on the carbs?

Mosh
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
My piston pricing above was for Wiesco.

The ebay pistons,I dunno.I have heard too many stories of them cracking skirts.But I have no experience with them.(WSM)I hear good and bad about them.I know they were in water craft engines for a long time.

I have run Wiesco,and Namura($169.95) pistons in Banshee's,and I have gotten 4 years out of them with no issues.The wifes shee is running on a 5 year old top end.Been re-ringed once.I am a believer,you get what you pay for.
Dont forget new reeds with the build.If you want massive low end trail torque,go for a MotoFast 2 into 1 pipe and gear down the front sprocket to 12 teeth.Stump pulling power that way.

Mosh
05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
What iis the TORS system on the carbs?
It is a 60 pound pile of garbage that causes the cables to stick and a stiff thumb throttle.Use it to prop your door open on the back porch,or you can try fly fishing with them.:lol:

Actually,it was cut-out switch that killed the ignition if the carbs hung wide open too long.

Dump em and get the Removal system.

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Compression test is at 95 lbs. on both cylinders. Holes in the pistons or just new rings?

Mosh
05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I have had Banshee's run as low as 85 psi.It should run for you.I would guess you have the basics? Spark and fuel?

Pull the stator cover and check the crank.Otherwise,you do a rebuild,and you could fry the new top end.

I will bet a cheap beer that the stator is rust orange in color,from water intrusion.

SCEADU
05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh boy did I get taken. The blaock has a hole on the bottom of the stator cover. Looks like I'm going ebaying to look for a motor. The cylinders has been polished and ported.

Mosh
05-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Yikes!!!

Yeah,he prolly ran it with the left crank bearing out and it let loose on him and slammed the rod thru the case.

Call this guy.

His name is Dale.Tell him I sent you.

He had a few engines at his shop a few weeks ago.He will prolly sell you some good cases at a fair price.

330-264-0837.Ask for Dale or Jim

SCEADU
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks Mosh. The hole is where the stator cover mounts to the case so prolly had something come up from the trail. Igues I could JB it but at this point I think i would rather put the engine in perfect shape.

Mosh
05-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Is it thru the engine where you can see the crank??
Or just towards the rear of the stator shaped like a - U?
That U shaped hole is supposed to be there.There is a little grommet that plugs that hole.

SCEADU
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
It is in the front of the block on the bottom. I have no spark right now. i think he drowned it and killed the Stator

SCEADU
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
The stator must be working cause If I kick it for a bit I can get the lights to glow. What next?

SCEADU
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow,,

Now i find out there is no CDI box on her. I guess that is a good reason why I don't have spark!

Mosh
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
WTF?

The cdi is under the rear seat,behind the grab bar.It aint there?

They can have lights and no spark.The little black box outside the flywheel is what gives them the signal for spark to the CDI.

SCEADU
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Not there!!!!

I found Banshee HQ, A guy by the name of NYUK is going to help me out with the parts I need.

It amazes me how some people can sleep at night. This guy could have sole me the Brooklyn Bridge. Lesson learned!!!!!!!

Mosh
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow,that sucks.
NYUK has benn a banshee guy for a while over there.

He seems pretty cool.

SCEADU
05-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I talked to NYUK on the phone the other day. He seems abrasive when you first speak to him because he has the "Jersey" accent, but once you start talking with him the guy seems very straight up. He said fo me to get a list together and he would have me running for next week.

I left a message for the guy that I bought the bike from to call me and discuss all the lies he told me when I picked it up. I am hoping that I can get him to commit to paying for the parts he scavenged of it.