PDA

View Full Version : yamaha badger 80 problem

SYKO
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
so.... one of my cuz's sinks the little 80 in some muddy water, tows it back to the house, I get it to bust off again, but I decide the best thing for it is to drain everything anyway. So after fresh oil, new plug and clean gas and air filter, I cant get it to start. It has spark, not super bright but spark non the less, and here where it gets interesting, it wont even pop off one time with either! nothing! like there is NO spark! what gives? with either sprayed in there even with a weak spark it should bust off, what am I needing to chase on this? electrical? I think I heard that the cdi's on these tend to go bad is that true?

help me out guys my little cuz's are killin my 86 125m! they need there 80 back!

Youngrasher
06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Try a plug that you know works, i've had this trouble with my drz, when the sparkplug was tested resting on the head it would spark but it wouldn't run, i put the old plug in and it fired up,

SYKO
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
thanx for the tip, but ive been through 2 new and 2 old to see if thats the culprit.

The Goat
06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
syko, I had one of these...and I sunk it on more than one occasion....you've got a bad cdi, or a bad plug if I had to guess.

try a new plug, put it in first, place one hand on the back of the huge seat pressing down, and one hand on the throttle side of the handle bar, push it in a circle on concrete, if it doesn't fire up immediately, that can rule out your starter and battery.

SYKO
06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
syko, I had one of these...and I sunk it on more than one occasion....you've got a bad cdi, or a bad plug if I had to guess.

try a new plug, put it in first, place one hand on the back of the huge seat pressing down, and one hand on the throttle side of the handle bar, push it in a circle on concrete, if it doesn't fire up immediately, that can rule out your starter and battery.

WTF?:wondering

The Goat
06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
lol...i ran mine without a battery for about 2 years, it's the easiest way to just push it off, if you push it in a circle.

oh nevermind.

SYKO
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
well still cant get this thing figured out, all the electrical conections are tight and clean, im thinking something with the cdi/coil/stator somewhere unfortunatly I dont have anything to test with so, as soon as I get my truck back off to the shop it goes for testing!

ccdhowell
06-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Syko, I have one of these for my daughter, and did the same thing. I tested my coil and it was below spec. When I got a new coil on it, she fired up and ran half okay. Ended up adjusting the valves and that straightened everything out. Don't ask me how sinking in a pond messes up the valves, but it did. I'd say put a coil on it that you know to be good, get it running and adjust the valves. Good luck.

Chris

bubboyce
06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Alan,

I have an '85 Moto-4 80 in the garage I'm parting out. What year is the bike you're working on and if it will work, I'll get you whatever you need.

Nick

lndy650
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
if you suck in any dirt or pebbles it can bend or ding a valve... check the compression