PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Equipment Operators

BigGreenMachine
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hey guys,

Any of you in the Heavy Equipment trade on here?

Any advice for a FNG a month out of college? shens What about resources for learning everything you possibly can as far as books and vids go?

Getting a crack at a full time job in about a week with a well respected local company. Nervous as fawk! :lol: :D

What is your favourite piece to use? For me its a toss up between the excavator and the rubber tire ho.

James

Billy Golightly
06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe its just me, but I've found you can be an absolute expert on piece of machinery and know ALL of its little quirks and issues, and go to another one of a different make or model and everything is different, you have to completely re learn.

Like our Cat D3, I can make that thing do ANYTHING, I know exactly how fast the blade lifts or falls, how quick it rusn when you lock up the track, the delay on switching speeds and gears, how close I can run on an edge without sliding off, the teeter balance point under it, everything. But when I got on a newer style Komatsu, I had to creep around and I kept screwing stuff up just because I was so use to and accommodated to the D3 and all of its little issues.

BigGreenMachine
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I know what you mean. Using old stuff then hoping into something fresh is an odd feeling but the techniques are all the same. Its just a matter of getting comfortable with the equipment you are using, just like you said about the Cat.

Isn't it great what they can accomplish versus the ol'shovel? I've built some muscle with a shovel mind you.

brapp
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
well excavator is top payign salary but i think dozer or track load er is funnest. just learn to be aware of your souroundings and its not somethign that can be learned overnight i have been running equipment since i was 4 years old and i am stillnot an expert but can run everythgin fairly well and i own / opperate my own slmall excavatign company so i do know what i am talkign about and agree with billy 100% each piece of equipment is diffrent even the same identical machine they all have thier quarks.

KASEY
06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
i have been running equipment all my life,,, i have been on everything dozers ,loaders backhoes, excavators , haul trucks , graders,, scrapers too,,, the biggest thing i can say as a former equipment manager,,,,, keep the cab spotless,,, all the time,, grease your machine if its your job,, take care of it as if it was your own!!! the managers will notice it will pay big in the future,, be careful and really try to do the best you can,,, its better to put forth alot of effort even if your not the best operator,,, you will be,,, someday,,,, the buisness i am in now ,, i get to run some of the biggest now,,, we have several D11'S SEVERAL 5130 SHOVELS, SOME CAT 777 HAUL TRUCKS AND A FEW 550 ARTICULATED TRUCKS,,, so its fun to get out and play on the big toyz!!

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
well excavator is top payign salary but i think dozer or track load er is funnest. just learn to be aware of your souroundings and its not somethign that can be learned overnight i have been running equipment since i was 4 years old and i am stillnot an expert but can run everythgin fairly well and i own / opperate my own slmall excavatign company so i do know what i am talkign about and agree with billy 100% each piece of equipment is diffrent even the same identical machine they all have thier quarks.

i have been running equipment all my life,,, i have been on everything dozers ,loaders backhoes, excavators , haul trucks , graders,, scrapers too,,, the biggest thing i can say as a former equipment manager,,,,, keep the cab spotless,,, all the time,, grease your machine if its your job,, take care of it as if it was your own!!! the managers will notice it will pay big in the future,, be careful and really try to do the best you can,,, its better to put forth alot of effort even if your not the best operator,,, you will be,,, someday,,,, the buisness i am in now ,, i get to run some of the biggest now,,, we have several D11'S SEVERAL 5130 SHOVELS, SOME CAT 777 HAUL TRUCKS AND A FEW 550 ARTICULATED TRUCKS,,, so its fun to get out and play on the big toyz!!

Thank you both, your advice really is welcome. :beer

I am by no means an expert. I graduated top of my class however and have that going for me. I also love this job, how could anyone tire of playing in the dirt? :cool: :beer

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
5130, Damn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiOOIiKjw8&feature=related

brapp
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
you didnt go to any sort of heavy equipment school did you?

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I took a HEO course. Top of my class of 12.

Around here and in Alberta the bigger outfits want papers.

ProCarbine2k1
06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
There are a lot of good owner/operators out there, probably some of the best all together.. but in the commercial industry you cant be good on one piece of equipment, you have to be great on them all. Just like other jobs these days, companies want you to be able to know each piece of equipment as if it were the only one you ran.
I work for Kokosing Construction as a welder/ fabricator, and I get to see a lot of younger men and women make the transition from non union, some non technical related fields into careers such as these. Most seem to have the focus and background (somewhat) before they ever make a move, but many are unaware of what lies ahead, such as training and costs. I wish you luck, get tied in with a strong, supportive company and youll do well. I have a friend that spent around 30K on an operating school, and just knew that he would be an operator because of this. Go figure, it never worked out that way.. but like I said, if you are persistent and able to do the less than desirable jobs, it shows your employer you have the dedication to pursue a career such as operating.

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks ProCarbine2K1. Great post.

I want to master them all! I feel the company that is taking me along will be a great opportunity to better myself. The owner is very well respected amoung the community. I could see myself and would enjoy working there quite a while.

Yamada
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tips: If you don't want someone to play with your exacavator during the night, don't hide the keys in the holes under the cab. All the operator here do that. That how I learned to operate an excavator...

KASEY
06-05-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7lBw28bEM&NR=1

blue27
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7lBw28bEM&NR=1

Thats some good stuff there!!!

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Holy! Some major pucker moments there!

LonesomeTriZ
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I have alway had a special place in my haert for D9's.

Billy Golightly
06-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Anything that makes hippies and tree huggers tie themselves to trees to keep them from coming through is cool in my book :lol:

LonesomeTriZ
06-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Anything that makes hippies and tree huggers tie themselves to trees to keep them from coming through is cool in my book :lol:

:lol: :lol: :w00t: :welcome:

brapp
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
i always liekd thies 2 links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rysIcSM1FsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pm77RITCFQ