PDA

View Full Version : 34' 9" gutter I built for an historical home.Plus a few other projects

mike from long island
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I had gotten a call to go and see if I could repair a 4"x9 1/4" thick gutter.It was made of fir and was one peice handmade back in the day.Unfortunitly termites and water damage was too severe and I had to build a new one.Ofcourse I didnt get a single peice of lumber for the build.The peice of wood would have cost way too much for the 90 year old homeowner.So I just made do with what we actually had at the shop.Plywood,2x8,and versatex(plastic lumber) was all I needed.The picture is not the finished gutter.I still have to install the rest of the plywood inside filler and taper the gutter from center out to the left and right for the water to flow out.Doing that tomorrow.I can lift the gutter myself.But at almost 35 feet,it is flimsy.Thank god I only had to drive a few blocks to the house.The gutter wasnt happy on the racks!!!!!!!! This is just a small sample of some of the really cool restoration I get to do!!!! I might not be able to rebuild a carb.But I can pretty much rebuild anything on a house! :D I have finally started to get a portfolio together.At some point I hope to be complete on my own.Right now I sub off a contractor here every week.And do most of my own projects after work and weekend. Hope you all like the big arse gutter..:beer

oldtime3wheeler
06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I like the craftmanship. Been in those shoes before.

mike from long island
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Here is a bunkbed I built for a guy who works for national security.I guess they make big bucks!! He had a nautical theme going.The dark wood is mahogney with the white being clear cedar.This took a little over 150 hours to build.I built a plywwod carrcuss and just finished it off with the finished wood.There are to tv alcoves for his small plasmas.The port hole windows work too!!! The bottom drawers open out to 40 inch.The room is too small to get a full front view picture.This was one of the coolest jobs lately.I also buils a free standing mantle and bathroom vanity.Cant find pics of those though? And right now I just started restoring an old horse barn.Once I get a little more done Ill show some before and after pics. For the record too.The majority of the time I do everything by myself.Tough to find any help that wants to work let alone have any brains!!!

mike from long island
06-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Here is a quick door I built last week and installed.

mike from long island
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
And lastly for tonight.Here is last years project.I restored this great old home.THe back addition is new as is all the porch brakcets and as I call them soffit brackets.I also built the complete screen porch and the screen panels too.I actually just built the frame for the sceen door today.I install the windows,doors and did the siding as no one was ready when I was.:D The Family loves the house.They paid 1.75 million for the house,then did the renovation.I dont know the cost of all the renovation,but probably around 4-5 hundred thousands.It is crazy what people are paying out here.

84honda200s
06-06-2008, 09:16 PM
very very nice work mike. my grandfather use to make ceder chests out of ceder on the inside (of course lmao) and oak, ash, walnut, or zebra wood on the out side. he also did grandfather clocks and a whole bunch o other stuff to the day he had his stroke at the age of 82 . now me on the other hand... i couldnt build anything of wood if my life depended on it.

anyway i just wanted to give ya mad props because you have a talent i wish i had. great work mike !!!

honda250sx
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Mike. Got to hand it to you. You do phenomenal work. Very Very cool stuff. I really like the bunk bed. Super cool. I would have loved that as a kid. As an adult not so sure. But a very cool addition to any home.

J.D.
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Very cool Mike! You and I are complete opposites. I can rebuild that carb with my eyes closed....but I can even drive a nail into a board close to straight and especially not without smashing my hand hahaha. Your work looks awesome!

Rookie
06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Man your talented. Theres no way I could do that, they don't make lefthanded hammers :lol: .