PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt they make direct injection two strokes?

VenomRS4
06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Why didnt they use this type of technology on motorcycles and dirtbikes? Would it help?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=viWhxvo6DLk

300rman
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
it is a new technology. that, and 4 strokes are the new craze.....as soon as people realize that they suck ass, the big 4 will start adapting this tech to bikes and such.

84honda200s
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
it is a new technology. that, and 4 strokes are the new craze.....as soon as people realize that they suck ass, the big 4 will start adapting this tech to bikes and such.

its not just that its a craze (4 strokes that is) is why 2 strokes arnt being adapted. its the fact that the good old us is restricting the crap out of 2 stroke to the point that they wont be worth a crap. all because the tree hungers feel they are bad for the environment. this is probably the reason most sleds are 4 strokes now. its all to avoid the tree lovers and their bullshit they try feeding us.

anyway thats why i think 2 strokes arnt being upgraded like the 4 strokes.

200xman
06-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I work on boats for a living and see the 2 vs. 4 stroke stuff all the time. What amazes me it the typical 2 stroke V6 outboard on average would only use about a gallon of 2 stroke oil for the year with the oil injection and all the 4 stroke outboards hold 8 quarts in the crankcase that has to be changed yearly. i guess the big difference is most of the 4 strokes don't burn oil but we have a couple that are hammered that burn just as much oil as a 2 stroke.

RoscoW
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't follow outboard technology but if they are only running air thru the crankcase and injecting the fuel , what do they do for bottom end lubrication? If they don't use the crankcase and reed type valves for moving the air then you would think it would need some sort of compressor (ie supercharger). This would be similar to the two stroke diesels.

Ross..

Erics350x
06-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't follow outboard technology but if they are only running air thru the crankcase and injecting the fuel , what do they do for bottom end lubrication? If they don't use the crankcase and reed type valves for moving the air then you would think it would need some sort of compressor (ie supercharger). This would be similar to the two stroke diesels.

Ross..

The oil is injected in the intake (oil injection) as for the air some still use reeds and some use a setup like rotax's rotary valve. this has been proven in the pwc and snowmobile world for years. Heck the Polaris 700i can get something like 100 miles at wot per tank

RoscoW
06-15-2008, 10:20 PM
There was a part two to the video that explains how the direct injection motors are lubricated. Two stroke oil is injected directly into the crankcase via an injection pump controlled by the computer. Oil would be picked up by the air to lubricate the bearings and then be burnt off in the combustion chamber when the gas was injected.

ATC70DUDE
06-16-2008, 10:00 PM
If you want to see what new technology 2 strokes have, just take a look at Ski-Doo's new etec 600 in their 09 sled's. BTW, 80% of sled sales are 2 strokes, there are few 4 stroke sleds other than the yamaha crap! Arctic cat is coming out with a new 177hp turbo 4 stroke, polaris has 1 4 stroke for trails, and ski-doo is coming out with a 495lbs 1200 3 cylinder 4stroke to BLOW the oeice of crap they call a nytro out of the water!!!!!!!!!

The EPA is the problem, the 08 rev 800 had to have it's compression lowered to meet thier requirement to be sold in the USA. It would have had 160 ponies stock if it weren't for that! The sleds and BRP's (evinrude) boat motors have TONS of new technology in them, almost more than the 4 strokes, just so they can keep producing them to meet the strict EPA guidlines!

VenomRS4
06-17-2008, 12:41 AM
I wonder what a modern 250 pinger with this kind of technology would make for power...and how efficient they will be.

84honda200s
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
i dont know about power. id imagine it would but i do know if it had fi (fuel injection) it would be a little better on gas and a bit more reliable in the sense you wouldnt have to worry about carb adjustments getting knocked out of wak.

i think they should come out with fi pingers. id think they would sell like hot cakes. hell id buy one if i wasnt so danm poor lmao.

Tecate250
06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a feeling BRP will bring the Can Am motorcycle back with the etec motor. Also I hope to see a ds 250r lol

WLL
06-21-2008, 05:13 PM
here is a new 350 2-stroke. still using a carb:wondering. shame this stuff aint comming to america:(