PDA

View Full Version : The only polaris I ever wanted

tbirdscott
06-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Picked up a 250F/A Trail Boss last week for $250. Needs an engine rebuild and one front wheel bearing and I'll be good to go.

Its a 1987 but it came with a pile of parts for a 1993 (including engine, transmission and clutches)

Already ordered up a new piston, rod, main bearings, and gasket/seal kit, still need to get a throttle cable and air filter then I'll be set. Get it up and running nice and install a set of mudlites.

It dont look too chit hot but It will look fine once I'm finished with it. heres some pice before starting on it, its stripped down right now, gonna repaint it and graft on some good fenders while I get the engine squared up.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/turbosprunt/quadr.jpg?t=1214800953

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/turbosprunt/quadl.jpg?t=1214800954

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/turbosprunt/quadprt.jpg?t=1214800954

I've always hated polaris quads but we had a 91-92 trail boss in the shop for a month or so and I loved ripping around on it, it was so snappy and light I cant wait to get this thing going. Should be a huge change from the foremans I used to have.

Anyone know of a good polaris forum??

Scott

MTS
06-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Just a tip for popin the crank out, Heat the Case's up on the PTO side and pop the whole crank/bearing out, would also recomend a needle+seat for the carb, them thing vibrate quite a bit and wear out after a few years, other wise pretty rock solid little units =)

tbirdscott
06-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Used the 2 ton press at work, popped it right apart without lifting a hammer (done that way too many times, lots of rubber mallets DOA) comes apart just like a tundra 2 engine. I'll have to heat them to get it back together though I'm sure.

I'm looking around to find a complete carb kit and replace all the jets and needles, we'll see how it cleans up though. Left it in the Kleen-Flo bucket for the weekend, if theres anything left tuesday I'll rebuild it :P I'll order in a needle and seat for sure, never even dawned on me.

Any tips for getting more power out of it? I know a bigger carb and a decent pipe would help but I've only found Aaen making pipes $$$.

Scott

tbirdscott
07-01-2008, 02:25 AM
I was planning on running injection if it works properly. I usually toss some oil in the fuel anyway just for good measure, plugs are cheaper than pistons.

Thanks for the help. Still cant find a polaris forum anywhere, doesnt seem to be much info on these at all.

Scott

brapp
07-04-2008, 07:47 PM
man nto bad bu those things are a dime a dozzen around here
i passed up 2 last week for under 500 dollars and both verry presentableshape too

tbirdscott
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Any running quad, even a 2wd around here is $1000 with exception to the china junk. I could sell the two trannys I have and be in the green. But I'm not planning on making money on it. Got the foreman fenders trimmed to fit and waiting on the parts to show up. I put about $300 in parts so far, tires will be almost another $300 so I might scrape in under a thousand for it. I dont think I'd have a problem getting $1500 for it, maybe more.

I got a brand new Clymer with it but If I could find a PDF I would love to print it out for shop use. Thanks for the offer though.

Looks like another two weeks or so before I'm riding it.

Scott

MyMistress86R
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
That's great...lol. I had a brand new 86 Trail Boss, right off the showroom floor. Great story about that too. I was 13 or so and my folks took me out to dinner one night for my birthday. Afterwards, we stopped by this guys place and walked into a small Polaris only dealer shop. He had a few sleds, 1 2wd TB, 1 4wd TB and a P3, all brand new. We're kinda looking around and my dad tells me to jump on the 2wd TB cause it looks pretty comfy. As I'm sitting there, the guy starts telling me all about it...how to start it, run the brakes, what kind of gas and oil to use, basic maintenance etc. Finally, I'm like, why is this guy telling me all this crap and I look over at my dad and he has this big crap-eating grin on his face and says he's bringing it home tomorrow after work!! Derrick Adams and I rode the balls off that things for the next few years and then my folks sold it while I was away for the summer.

badasskfx
07-12-2008, 09:15 AM
what about the old cyclone. those were cool back in the day..

tbirdscott
07-12-2008, 12:23 PM
A cyclone would be fun, 8 more hp and 2wd so it'd be lighter too. Been trying to find a pipe for one to wake mine up a bit, I'm sure I'll be looking for more power soon.

Got a piston kit, rod, gaskets and seals, air filter, and throttle cable on ebay for under $200 shipped :Bounce just waiting on them to show up.

Scott

canada's t4
08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
i had one of these for my first bike i bought 2 for 175 dollars total i beat the piss out of it for 3 or 4 years then blew it up rebuilt drove it jammed the chain in the trannie and fixed it then sold it i loved it fun smooth little bike. i actually have the factory front tires for it on my tecate 4 right now because my tec 4's were bald and these were almost new im not sure but i might have a complete set of front and rear rims for it kicking around too