PDA

View Full Version : pics from Mountain Ridge GNCC

jason85atc250r
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM
hear are some pics from the Mountain Ridge GNCC national race. Its near Somerset PA where the 9/11 plane wrecked. (these are not taken by me)

the 1st pic is of me behind the black 450r next to the 400ex. only pic i could find with me in it. this pic is off about the 3rd corner rite after the start. the next corner necked dowm between some small trees and a guy clipped a tree and blocked the whole track. You can go off the course at a bottle neck so i blazed a path around mowing ozer a couple small trees and passed 6 people.

my quad died on the second lap but i was 16 out of 31 riders in my class 36+c. i race a 400ex with a 87 trx250r motor. the course was 9 miles long and the real fast people in the mourning group did 6 laps before the 2 hrs ran out. The other guys in the last 2 pics ran the afternoon group when the Pros ran they only got 4 lapsand there course was 12 miles but it was really hard

second pic is of john kenney we pit with him at the races and he runs the 50+ senior class. he is 3rd in points. he hit a tree head on smashed his fenders up. Look at his right front rim see the crack at the bottom. They are Hiper wheels and he broke the one but with the tire balls he could still finish the lap.

the last 2 are of my friend Lee Dickerson he races the 22+ a class.

jason85atc250r
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
some more random pics. The 1st one is from the Pro class start with Bill Ballance taking the holeshot. Notice what rare site at the races is in the last pic.

jason85atc250r
07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
these pics are from part of the track rite next to the parking area and where we pitted rite next to the track. Just pull over to get gas or change a tire and take rite back off on the track.

Notice all the mountians in the back ground. The course went weaving all threw those and made a loop back around to where the pics were taken.

chris200x
07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Cool pics Jay! So what happened to REX? :wondering

Notice what rare site at the races is in the last pic

What are we talking about there? that TRX?

Eric250R
07-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Was wondering the same, think I almost went blind trying to find a 3 wheeler...:lol:

ccdhowell
07-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Notice what rare site at the races is in the last pic.

Looks like some tough racing there. On another forum folks were talking about the rock garden; pretty tough they said. Do you know why your quad died? Did it refire at all? I suppose you don't find it too difficult to race your 2stroke in tight woods and rocks. I was racing my '90 Quadracer and couldn't find a way to be competive with the old 2stroke. It's good to see you sticking with the 2stroke engine, I ride mine for recreation, save the 4strokes for racing.

I'll take a stab at your last pic. The rare site is a guy kick starting a quad. Looks like the guy on the yellow quad that you can't really see is standing up in the kickstart posture.

Keep up the good work man,
Chris

jason85atc250r
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM

yes it was a trx250r it was a guy i pitted with that has a leager protrax. it's just like Billy's he had to sell but setup for GNCC racing. he does better on it then his 450r.

rex blew up lost all compression. it did not feel rite low on power from the start only made it a lap and 3/4.

jason85atc250r
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Looks like some tough racing there. On another forum folks were talking about the rock garden; pretty tough they said. Do you know why your quad died? Did it refire at all? I suppose you don't find it too difficult to race your 2stroke in tight woods and rocks. I was racing my '90 Quadracer and couldn't find a way to be competive with the old 2stroke. It's good to see you sticking with the 2stroke engine, I ride mine for recreation, save the 4strokes for racing.

I'll take a stab at your last pic. The rare site is a guy kick starting a quad. Looks like the guy on the yellow quad that you can't really see is standing up in the kickstart posture.

Keep up the good work man,
Chris

my quad was not running like it should from the start felt low on power. was about 16th out of 32 and withing about a 1/4 mile it started making wierd noises and just died and would not start again. i think a old lt50 quad has more compression.

the last pic was of the trx250r there was only 5 of them counting me thats why i said a rare site:lol: . there was about 500 extries in all the classes. you said about kickstarting a quad the is alot of guys with trx450r's racing that were kick only models

the really bad rock garden was only for the afternoon race for the pro's and A and B classes. Actually i was catching alot of 450 4stroke guys on the rocky tight sections and then they would pull from me in the wide open fields. I was battling with a guy on a 450r for about 5 miles till my quad died:cry: .

jason85atc250r
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
i changed my avatar to a picture i found from the race of my quad if your wondering what REX looks like. the site wont let me download it, it says it's to big:wondering

scooterroo
07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
photbucket it then paste it in your thread.

ccdhowell
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
the last pic was of the trx250r there was only 5 of them counting me thats why i said a rare site:lol: . there was about 500 extries in all the classes. you said about kickstarting a quad the is alot of guys with trx450r's racing that were kick only models

Yeah, I know we have quite a few kick start quads in my series, just grasping at straws.

I would have thought you'd walk all over them in the more open terrain and fields, you must be geared pretty low to handle the tight stuff better. My best race before I retired my Quadracer was our most open course of the season, lots of places to wind up and out accelerate all those 450s.

Damn glad there is another XC racer on the board. I had told the wife I was going to ride up to PA and watch you race this past weekend, but we just got back from vacation the Wednesday before and I couldn't get away that far. You planning on racing anymore GNCC events this year? I'd love to make one as a spectator this year. And maybe as a competitor next year; I think we'd run in the same class, I'm 40 years old, probably 36+C.

Have you took a look at your engine yet?

jason85atc250r
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I know we have quite a few kick start quads in my series, just grasping at straws.

I would have thought you'd walk all over them in the more open terrain and fields, you must be geared pretty low to handle the tight stuff better. My best race before I retired my Quadracer was our most open course of the season, lots of places to wind up and out accelerate all those 450s.

Damn glad there is another XC racer on the board. I had told the wife I was going to ride up to PA and watch you race this past weekend, but we just got back from vacation the Wednesday before and I couldn't get away that far. You planning on racing anymore GNCC events this year? I'd love to make one as a spectator this year. And maybe as a competitor next year; I think we'd run in the same class, I'm 40 years old, probably 36+C.

Have you took a look at your engine yet?

my quad has the stock gearing for a 250r 13-39 with 20 irazr's on the rear. i'm going to race the round in Unadille NY and ST clairsville OH. if your going to come up all that way bring your quad you'll wish you did. those 2 are not rocky so you'll want your little tires

i did not even wash it yet:lol: i know i'll see bad things.

i race mx alot also heres some pics of my trx250r with a porter race products frame

ccdhowell
07-08-2008, 09:09 AM
i'm going to race the round in Unadille NY and ST clairsville OH. if your going to come up all that way bring your quad you'll wish you did. those 2 are not rocky so you'll want your little tires

I'm a little intimidated by the level of rider at a GNCC event. I've only raced my local series. My local series, ATVCCS, does have two riders that race the GNCC events, Shawn Hess in XC1 and Lexie Coulter in Women, but they are way faster than me. Amazes me everytime I watch good racers go over tough terrain, I love it. Unfortunately, I have trouble imulating what I've seen others do.

Chris

jason85atc250r
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
we would be in the mourning group with all the c classes and utility ones. the 50+ and womens expert with Lexie coulter and the fastest groups.

i get mid pack and i have not done any serious racing for 8 years before i went to the 3 GNCC races last year. we will be starting all the other older slower guys lke us:lol:

smokinwrench
07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Awesome pictures. I ove seeing pictures form gncc, harescrambles over mx racing.

Chris you need to meet up with me in Wichita Ks and be my partner for the turkey run in mid November 3 hour harescramble. If we enjoy that we can meet again for the valentines massacre in February. I have never raced the track, been broken every time, hearnia surgery and broken foot.

Josh

ccdhowell
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Awesome pictures. I ove seeing pictures form gncc, harescrambles over mx racing.

Chris you need to meet up with me in Wichita Ks and be my partner for the turkey run in mid November 3 hour harescramble. If we enjoy that we can meet again for the valentines massacre in February. I have never raced the track, been broken every time, hearnia surgery and broken foot.

Josh

Is this an invitation? I'd love to come race with you Josh, if I can swing it with work. I suppose it's on a weekend, Saturday would be best. You have any particulars yet?

I'll say one thing about XC racing, it makes you a much better rider...if you survive that is. Josh, you didn't get a good look at my riding ability at Little Sahara, I was on a borrowed quad that was really twitchy and then yours for a couple minutes, neither one very comfortable to me. I'm more than comfortable on my Raptor. I'm thinking, 3 hours race, two man teams, one quad, that right? Should we race mine or yours? I'll bring mine and we'll flip a quarter for it.

Take care,
Chris

ccdhowell
07-08-2008, 11:06 PM
we would be in the mourning group with all the c classes and utility ones. the 50+ and womens expert with Lexie coulter and the fastest groups.

i get mid pack and i have not done any serious racing for 8 years before i went to the 3 GNCC races last year. we will be starting all the other older slower guys lke us:lol:

I'd bet the 36+C is a really big class. How many line up to race that class? How many riders are there in the morning race?

I told the wife about Ohio race in October, said I wanted to go rute on a friend, she said it sounded good to her. There's one hurdle down:lol:

I talked with Lexie before Our last race, she was camped beside me for the weekend. She was sayin' that her Can Am is having lots of trouble. She didn't have her race quad for rounds 3, 4 and 5 of the GNCC, she rode some mx riders practice quad and did the best she could. I guess the factory support is getting mostly used up by the XC1 guys. She had her factory prepared practice machine for the race I talked to her at, a very impressive machine, no dollar spared. I did think it was odd that she came to a race weekend without a factory mechanic. She had the quad in her trailer and she turned the wrenches herself. I gotta say that a female expert quad racer with a wrench in her hand and grease on her face is a very sexy thing.:beer She won the A class overall that race, fast!

Chris

smokinwrench
07-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Nov 23 - WJMC sanctioned Hare Scramble 41st Annual Turkey Run (2 hour / 1 man)

I have my races mixed up the Valentines Massacre is 3 hour 2 man for quads 6 hours for bikes. Turkey run will be a 1 hour 1 man for quads. For the races that you run partners you each ride your own machine, you come into pits and tag the other rider how ever you want as long as you make contact. Most hold a hand out and hit the other rider on the shoulder or kick his quad as he goes by.

I plan on going to this race I have wanted to badly last year.

ccdhowell
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Nov 23 - WJMC sanctioned Hare Scramble 41st Annual Turkey Run (2 hour / 1 man)

I have my races mixed up the Valentines Massacre is 3 hour 2 man for quads 6 hours for bikes. Turkey run will be a 1 hour 1 man for quads. For the races that you run partners you each ride your own machine, you come into pits and tag the other rider how ever you want as long as you make contact. Most hold a hand out and hit the other rider on the shoulder or kick his quad as he goes by.

I plan on going to this race I have wanted to badly last year.

I checked it out on the web. Who woulda thought Witchita Jeep Club is a motorcycle club? It's on a Sunday and I'm guessing from what their website said that they don't allow practice on the course before the race. Keep yourself healthy this year, I'll plan on trailering my Raptor up to Kansas to race with you in November. Save me some leftover turkey.

Chris

jason85atc250r
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd bet the 36+C is a really big class. How many line up to race that class? How many riders are there in the morning race?

I told the wife about Ohio race in October, said I wanted to go rute on a friend, she said it sounded good to her. There's one hurdle down:lol:

I talked with Lexie before Our last race, she was camped beside me for the weekend. She was sayin' that her Can Am is having lots of trouble. She didn't have her race quad for rounds 3, 4 and 5 of the GNCC, she rode some mx riders practice quad and did the best she could. I guess the factory support is getting mostly used up by the XC1 guys. She had her factory prepared practice machine for the race I talked to her at, a very impressive machine, no dollar spared. I did think it was odd that she came to a race weekend without a factory mechanic. She had the quad in her trailer and she turned the wrenches herself. I gotta say that a female expert quad racer with a wrench in her hand and grease on her face is a very sexy thing.:beer She won the A class overall that race, fast!

Chris

there is usually around 30 people in the 36+ class. there is about 250 or more people alltogether in the mourning. they start each class a minute apart.

sounds like you have the worst hurdle conquered about coming to the Ohio race. permission from the boss:D