PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about coaxial cable?

Trikeaholic
07-12-2008, 03:09 PM
WTF! I got a home antenna for my sirius. It takes coax from the antenna to the adaptor and home dock. I could not get a signal so I re-attached (properly) one fitting on the coax end. Then I got great signal. I left it outside where I wanted it temporarily and once I was satisfied with the location of the antenna and the reception, I unplugged it from the radio end (the end I put the connector on) and ran it down the house where i wanted it to go. then I drilled a hole in the wall and fished the cable thru. then I cut the excess coax off and re attached the fitting. hooked it up and now it says "no antenna detected" I re attached the fitting many times but still nothing. At this point i want to smash the effin thing. I did put some pretty radical 90's in the coax to get it up tight to where i wanted it to go, did I damage it?? it still works in my car?! WTF??????

The Goat
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
when you had it outside, you mean the sirius thing, and all the cable was outside as well? so you didn't lose service until you brought the cable into the house?

Erics350x
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
sounds like you might have broke the stinger (copper wire in the core) when clamping it down or a single stran of the braded wire could be touching the stinger wire causing it to ground out.

Trikeaholic
07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Thats all I could think of but for the life of me, I don't know how that could have happened. I guess I need a new cable. ARRRGGHH

MyMistress86R
07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Double check for a piece of the braid touching the stinger, but also recheck your whole line for major bends or crushing of the cable itself. The white part in the middle (the dialectric) is what the signal passes thru and if that's fubar, it's all over.

Trikeaholic
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
well I replaced the cable and still nothing, so Its gotta be the antenna is FD. So now I will get a new one of those and try again, if that wont work, Im stumped!