PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my first win on the TRX last night

Derrick Adams
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I've really been struggling on the quad (known as the stocker). I think i'm the only one in the local MX scene that refuses to put money into their engine.

Anyhow, last night I went to a local fair race. I was excited as soon as I saw the track. 17 whoops straight in a row! Whoops are my strong point.

Then everything fell together. It started raining, and the start was in a grass field. This is one of the few times that being a fat guy on a stock bike pays off! 3rd gear start to take the holeshot and never looked back!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/CID__0426081648.jpg

LonesomeTriZ
07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Is there a lot of racing in your area?

ccdhowell
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Nice job!

Whoops are your strong suite? Give us some pointers. Speaking for myself, I hate them, they eat me up every time.

SWIGIN
07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
whoops are simple if you attack with your weight back and hold it wide open.

but you need decent suspention or it could end bad....lol

when i raced i could always catch/pass guys in the whoops....the nastyer the better

glad to hear you took the checkered flag

Derrick Adams
07-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Is there a lot of racing in your area?

Yes. I could race twice a week, all summer long if I wanted to. 24 race fair series in central ohio, 10 race fair series in northern ohio, 10 race seires at the local track (10 minutes from my house) etc.

I feel like I have a slight advantage in the whoops because of my height and upper body mass. I can pretty much put the quad where ever I want it. I've passed TONS of quads in the whoops on my trike.

Kintore
07-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Congrats buddy! Well done!

Louis Mielke
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Saawheeettt!!

smokinwrench
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Good job, I wish we had that much racing around here!

300rman
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
the hairier the whoop, the faster you go. lean back and hammer it.

went riding up around rose city, and we rode trails frome OGEMAW to bull gap.
lots of whoops, but there was one stretch in particular.
it was about a half mile long, solid, foot-and-a-half deep whoops.
i was cruisin it on my kx80 second gear mid throttle, stuck behind a slow assbag.
shifted down to first, and hammered 1-5th, sitting on the rear fender, and held it WFO in 5th. talk about going from irrtating to smooth sailing.

ccdhowell
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
shifted down to first, and hammered 1-5th, sitting on the rear fender, and held it WFO in 5th. talk about going from irrtating to smooth sailing.

Guess I need to reach down and grab a bigger handfull.

300rman
07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Guess I need to reach down and grab a bigger handfull.

lol it doesnt drive itself though. you have to be able to handle the machine as its bouncin around, but it is alot smoother than going slow. the bike dont fall as far down into the hole, and the front tire(s) skip, allowing the rear shock to absorb most of the bump.

it can get quite fatiguing after riding 100 miles of trails that are around 50% whoops, so YEA it takes alot outa ya

it really gets interesting on unkept trails where you have to avoud bushes and rocks and weave back and fourth while trying to keep enough momentum that the whoops dont make it feel like *Edited**Edited* out on the rough water in a small boat

LonesomeTriZ
07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Yes. I could race twice a week, all summer long if I wanted to. 24 race fair series in central ohio, 10 race fair series in northern ohio, 10 race seires at the local track (10 minutes from my house) etc.

Hmmm, maybe we should consider Ohio for our new home.

Derrick Adams
07-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, maybe we should consider Ohio for our new home.

Definately top 3 if your into trikes or atv's in general. If you picked up the last issue of Dirtwheels they covered Ohios riding. They didnt even print half of the trails and tracks we actually have.

Now if your looking for work, then Ohio should be on the bottom of the list. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

LonesomeTriZ
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
That is the biggest problem with all the states I have looked at so far. They may have dream trails and large unpopulated areas, but no work. I just can't win.

atctim
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Congrats Derrick!!!! Nice job. Derrick has helped me with Whoops in the past - and alot if it is experience and practice. I would not recommend just holding it wide open and leaning back unless you are an MX bike. If you do - chances are you'll get looped off that thing faster than you can say "squat".

Keep up the good work D!

cody2
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
congrats, that was one of my problems in the racing days was the whoops actually.

the tecate kid
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Congrats Derrick! Its good to see us old farts tearing up these young punks. So far I am 3 for 3 at 3 county fairs on the "outdated-junk" cannondale. Nothing better than pulling up to the starting line with your helmet off, and all the young kids staring at your receding hairline, then finishing half a lap ahead of them.