PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G-My review 8/5/08

TravEX
07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Anyone got one yet?!

I'm eligible for an upgrade on July 23, and will get one then!

I already have my apps downloaded that I want. There are over 500 apps for it on iTunes, and more added each day.

Hopefully someone has got one, and can give us the scoop on it.

The Goat
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
everything about it is fricking sweet....except the whole phone part.

if you're in areas with weak service...it doesn't get a signal really well.

but if you crack the phone, you can do some wild stuff with it. and watchiung vids on it is always awesome.

TravEX
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Do you live in a 3G network, my closest 3G network is Little Rock or Memphis. I have a V3XX Razor and use the internet daily on it on EDGE, and it does ok, but I know that the processer in the iPhone will be smokin compared to my Razor. I can really tell when I'm surfing 3G! Alot faster.

What apps are ya running?

GPS functions ok? Turn by turn?

Was the data package $20 or $35?

Thanks goat!

The Goat
07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
well it's my old roommate who has it, not me. downloads on 3g are in the nature of 50k/s not too shabby by any means.

what apps...

well you cant beat the opera browser, i suggest that for anyone with a phone.

just go to www.operamini.com

his is mainly full of games but he does have OpenOffice on there, basically the linux version of windows office suite.

gps funtions idk...i haven't asked or seen, the guy doesn't exactly travel a whole lot. lol.

herdfandave
07-16-2008, 12:22 AM
First off iphones suck, you cant get insurance, the crack very easy, you have to live close to a big city to get 3g network, they cant record video, also cant bluetooth with other phones...now i do see a couple positives, one, you can get on the internet and do what im doin now, and 2, if it's stolen, one couldnt use there card bc #'s wouldnt match with assigned phone...

My Sony i580 is better :p

TravEX
07-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Are you talking about the original iPhone or the iPhone 3G, they offer a Apple care plan for the iPhone 3G. I know about how scarce the 3G networks are, but with WiFi, I will not need 3G network for fast downloads and stuff.
And, the App store is awesome, tons of stuff to make it a great PDA.

Your Sony have WiFi, GPS, stuff like that? I'm not familiar with it.

herdfandave
07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes, but i have to pay extra..

The Goat
07-17-2008, 11:29 PM
my sony 810i is the most reliable piece of electronics i've ever purchased...bar none.

gotta go with him here...sony ericson makes one helluva phone.

xd 200x
07-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know if I could like a phone that does not have windows mobile

TravEX
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I got mine yesterday, and have waited till today to post my opinions of it, hoping to be objective.

I got the (2) 8G, iPhone 3G and and Apple protection plan for me and my wife. The Apple protection plan cover the phone and my out of posket expenses if the phone should need repair or battery replacement for 2 years. The plan is $69, and a battery replacement alone is around $90, so it's worth it.

First off, I am more comfortable with a flip phone vs a candy bar style, but I'm getting used to it, though. The 3.5" screen is incredible, very bright and crisp, never pixelated.

I've used iTunes for a couple of years, so registering and syncing the iPhone was effortless. I had already downloaded 36 apps for it from the Applications store over the last cople of weeks. 35 of them were free, and I got Enigmo for $9.99.

The touchscreen is new to me, but very easy to get used to. Taps, flick, 2 finger taps, 2 finger zoom in/out become 2nd nature in just a couple of hours.

The WiFi is pretty fast, faster than my old PC for sure, hehe. It is very easy to connect to WiFi. I was walking through the mall yesterday after I got it messing with stuff, and each time I got next near a few of the stores iPhone asked to connect. At home I stay on WiFi with it and am very pleased with the speed and accuracy. In the basement where our den is, there is no cell signal, but I can still access all the map and GPS features with just the WiFi connection, I could set up routes and turn-by-turn for future trips right on my couch.

GPS feature is really cool, I went out and checked it out while ago. World paper type maps and satellite maps are on it. The accuracy got down to 159 ft, but I think I can tinker with it and get it closer. During directions, it onlines the route and a pin marks your location along the route. The satelite imagery along the way is nice.

Text messaging is effortless and quick. I can keep up with my text junkie friends now! hehe. Typing in text is full screen only, but typing online can be done in full or wide screen. It takes a while me to get used to hitting the right key, but it's improving quickly.

It has a standard calculator and scientific calculator on it. Calendar, daily planner, camara, weather, stocks, maps, text, clock (world), notes, setting, iTunes, App store, contacts, are all the apps on the home screen.

Gameplay on it is like nothing I have ever seen. Enigmo gets so involved that I think my laptop processer would just CRASH if I played it on it.

iPod controls are straight fwd, video play is very nice. I will probably be renting movies on iTunes to watch em on iPhone now.

Safari is a great internet engine, no problems yet, surfing is quick and easy on WiFi. Using EDGE (3G is not available here), it is quick enough. I have been using EDGE for internet for a year on my Razor V3XX, so I was very familiar with how fast certain pages would open. On the Razor a page would take about 1 minute to load, about 10-20 seconds on iPhone, so I'm very pleased with it. Hotmail is not supported on the email software, so I have changed to Yahoo, so now every time I get an email, I get a notification immediately.

So far so good. Love the phone, and my wife is getting comfortable with it. Our 6 yo daughter really picks it up quick, it's amazing how technologically minded kids are these days!

TravEX
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
As of now, there are 1470 applications for it, more added hourly.