PDA

View Full Version : 86 lt230s quadsport questions....

scooterroo
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
ok guys, im looking at an 86 qsport. nice shape, runs, good. absolutely no smoke and fires right up with the first few kicks. i have been wanting to get one of these for quite some time, and the opportunity has arrived. my questions are...

1. what's their weak points?
2. how availible are parts, both oem and after market?

i plan on stripping it down and restoing it, and wanted to go a bit better then stock on it. like the suspension. i was wondering if there is possibly any longer a-arms avavilible, plus a nice front shock set-up. perhaps go with a longer swingarm, which more then likely i know i would have to have either the stocker modded or have one custom fabbed. which if i did i would go with a newer style carrier so i could have a few choices on extended axles. do any of the older quad racer suspension parts work on the quad sport?

what about motor parts? being is i dont have myself a nice 4 stroke, i plan on doing the motor up nice. cam, valves, borejob, piston, what kind of carb, what kind of exhaust if any are availible.

throw me some ideas here please, and if anybody has modded their q-sport, post up some pics for me please.

i planned on slamming it to the ground and doing it up for flattrack, but i wanna be able to do some mx with it too though, so i am kinda undecided. i know one thing though, it will look like no other q-sport when done.

pics pics pics please.

SWIGIN
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
my buddy who owns HREATV used to be into q sports, he could tell you everything you need to know. they did have crank problems but i dont remember what years that was but even the bad years can be upgraded easily ........i think you drill a oil plug out

if you email him tell him i sent you

chris200x
07-19-2008, 10:50 PM
they are also prone to throwing the chain. I had a lt230E for a few years and liked it alot. Definitly fun little quads.

I gave it two thumbs up! lol

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/871192/

Not sure about the aftermarket stuff. perhaps some lt250r a arms or suspension would work???

cr480r
07-19-2008, 11:01 PM
definately known for throwing the chain... inspect the cases for repair

SWIGIN
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
they dont throw chains any more than any other bike......you just have to be smart enough to keep the chain ajusted

chris200x
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I beg to differ.. Mine would throw the chain a few times a ride even after installing new sprockets, swinger bearings, and axle bearings. No lie...

I never thought of fixin it all up tho. Now granted the S model is a bit more sportier with the manual clutch and all. but it wouldn't be on the top of my list of quads to make race ready. They're fun just the way they are IMO.

Maybe you should finish up one of those tecates before diving into this Scoot! :lol: :TrikesOwn j/k....

SWIGIN
07-20-2008, 12:43 AM
i agree about not throwing a ton of money at a q sport

my buddys had all the bells and whistles and was still slow......but he rode it for years and i cant say i remember him ever throwing a chain

Kilborg
07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
One of the first sport machines ever out...and it shows. Typical suzuki quality for the era... questionable castings, materials, welds...but the machine did its job. If you can turn a wrench and keep an eye on things they arent bad little riders. The motor is a but underpowered and doesnt take to abuse too well, but does the job...same with the rest of the machine. Still, better then many offerings from chinatown.

scooterroo
07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Maybe you should finish up one of those tecates before diving into this Scoot! :lol: :TrikesOwn j/k

doah!!!! i know i know, rome wasnt built in a day!!!! perfection takes time ? lol, hahhahaha