PDA

View Full Version : trx200sx: repair and modification

honda_atc200es
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
hello, i have an 86 trx200sx, with an 87 engine in it. when i first got the bike 2 years ago it was notorious for spark issues, took me two months to get it going. last year i brought it to WV, went on the trails, bike seemed to run fine, then it died, wouldn't start again and we had to tow it back ( my brother flipped it, now i need a new headlight) now its summer again, and Ive been trying to get it running. no spark at all, maybe in fits it will fire, but the bike just wont start. im assuming its one or more of three things, the stator, the cdi , or the coil. what do you all think?

trr trr trr sorry had to test it out :)

Havoxx
07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Alright, first off, bypass the key, I spent $500 on coils, CDI's, and stators before I figured that one out, if that fixes it, buy a new key ;), make sure the runswitch is fine as well, a simple continuity test will show you if it is, if it isn't those, check the CDI, maybe get a friends and try it out, if not try it out with a new coil, if it works, you know what to replace, the stator, I can't help you there, I don't know how to tell if it works or not.

honda_atc200es
07-22-2008, 12:08 PM
the key i belive is fine because the startor will turn over and i get the occasional, spark. im pretty set that its the coil or cdi. i might go pick up a coil first (being that its the cheapest ;) ) and hopefully that works. would a weak spark be traced to a cdi or the coil, because that used to happen alott, plug would get very little carbon on it and then the bike wouldnt run

Havoxx
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
no no, I have a key that "seems" to work fine, the power ones work, but the two that ground the coil out to cause spark are screwed, so it can turn over randomly, then not work, and it's because of that.

trust me man, short that key out before anything, you're getting the exact same problems I did, and a new stator, coil, and CDI, and that was to no avail, it was all a bad key switch, these keys have 4 poles, 2 for power(will turn on everything, turn over starter) and 2 for the spark, if those are screwed up, they will ground out the coil and you won't get spark constantly, and the engine just randomly starts and sputters then dies.

I'd go so far as to switch out keys and make a video to show you :).

honda_atc200es
07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
how do i short out the key?

also i really appreciate all this help

Havoxx
07-22-2008, 02:46 PM
should be able to just disconnect the black/white wire, and dark green wire, and that should short it out, you may not be able to turn it off with the killswitch though, im not sure :P.

honda_atc200es
07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
and these wires are right under the key colum right? (sorry i may be a carb wiz but i get lost at electrical and i took digital electronics last year in HS ! lol)

Havoxx
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Yea, you should be able to find them in that black sheath, make sure it's the key ones though, there are a set for the run switch as well.

honda_atc200es
07-22-2008, 04:18 PM
ok now how is this for luck. all i did was look around the wires, waited for you to reply and while i was waiting i put gas in the tank, starter fluid on the spark plug and i cranked it over and it started right away, i was amazed. it will probably crap out sooner or later but for now im happy :)

would it still be they key? or maybe there is no electrical problem at all and it was just bad luck. now i need a filter, new head light, repaint my plastics and maybe a new muffler would be nice

honda_atc200es
07-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Bumpity bump

took this sucker for a ride today (about 6 miles there and back, mostly all roads full throttle) apart from the very twitchy steering (felt like it would flip) and the horrible brakes, it ran great, no problems starting, no bogging, although it smells rich, i haven't checked the plug.

as for what i need, it needs an air filter, right now there is no filter at all, not even the holder. just the box, the lid isn't even on all the way. also id say some carb adjustments are in order, its a little rough at idle so ill see if going down a size on the pilot helps. otherwise no smoke, no back firing, no stalling, just smooth power.

but the bike has run like this before and then cut out for no reason, so im still a little nervous. just for curiosities sake how fast would you say these top out at? it felt pretty fast to me, but then again it was shaking and bouncing all over the road so much it could have exaggerated things.

SCEADU
07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Try this.

Unscrew the cap from sparkplug wire. cut 1/4 inch off of it and then screw it back on. I have had 2 Hondas this year pull the same thing on me. Both times I lucked out and the end of the coil wire was coroded off just inside the wire.

honda_atc200es
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
i actually did that a week ago maybe thats why it worked :) thanks thats a load off my shoulders

and also this has been floating around my head, would it be possible to take say a 200x motor and put it in a trx with minor mods?, id really like to have a clutch

SYKO
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
hey if you 200sx guys need parts I got a complete one! let me know!

scooterroo
07-24-2008, 09:48 AM
thats one idea i have had for sometime, like since i owned one way back when in 88. i have always wanted to drop an x motor in one. with some slight mods, like the motor mounts i dont see why it wouldnt work. always wanted to slap a nice modded x motor in one, and even do up the suspension on it as well. extend the swinger an inch or two, fab up some extened arms for the front, cut the plastics to be more sporty looking, etc... i know, people say why on earth would you wanna do that, my answer....cuz i can!!!

honda_atc200es
07-24-2008, 11:17 AM
aha! finally who thinks my style :) yea i mean this was my first quad ever, i bought it for 250 and ive put alot of work into it, id love to build it up and make it one of a kind

P.S. - scooterroo my mom owns a tattoo shop in saratoga lol, thought it was a funny coincidence

scooterroo
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
dont even tell me the one down on broadway? my nephew just got his tat done like a week ago there, and he said it was a lady that did it. thats where i am gonna be going to get my sleeve done eventually. small world.

honda_atc200es
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Saratoga Ink? my mom co-owns it with her friend England, she wears scrubs when shes at work, her name is Nancy, if you ever do go there shed get a kick over this hahaha

and as for as the trx goes, what i would like to do now is swap in a built 200x motor (an 86 would be nice, but thats big bucks i would imagine), then id like to improve suspension (a-arms, swing arm, the works) and exhaust id hold off on, because i dont have a job yet ;) and id like to finish up by painting the plastics black with a red tank cover and maybe a custom seat black with red flames

a little ambitious but how much would it cost? im debating on whether or not to sell my ds80, the only issue with that being i would have to put 100 into it in order to get 600 out of it

honda_atc200es
07-26-2008, 07:28 PM
When i get home i have to mess with the air screw, since i put the filter holder (no element yet) and the lid back on the bike wont idle, its also notorious for fouling plugs so im going to have to pick up some jets.

honda_atc200es
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
turns out the air screw is missing! would that make it run so rich though? i mean after one days ride the plug is covered in carbon (dry though) bogs alot, sometimes backfires a little out of the intake (no flames though)

honda_atc200es
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
ok so i am planing on ordering a bunch of parts from syko, the main things are airfilter, carb, top end, fron and rear brakes, choke, front wheels, handel bars, tierods. im spray painting the plastics black, the hood red (id also like to re-do the seat in black with red flames when i have money again) is there anything else you could reccomend? and also what tools do i need to do a top end?

magicinmywords
05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
hey if you 200sx guys need parts I got a complete one! let me know!

I need some parts for an 86 200SX, if you still have them. Thanks again.

tx200m
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I have one I have stripped...what do you need?