PDA

View Full Version : SX rear suspension idea

Name Brand
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm sure many of you have seen the thread (in my signature below) about my SX and the extended swingarm I put into it. I have another SX I would like to build up like my first, including the same extended swinger and 25 inch tires. But why not upgrade as I build my second SX!

What I am wondering is could I use the lower TRX shock mount to mount my shock? On my SX it sits almost six inches farther back than where the lower end of the shock is mounted currently. Upper SX mount to lower TRX mount is 16 inches. Using the TRX mount would angle the shock back quite a bit... doesn't that nearly vertical shock on the SX give it that stiff ride? An angled rear shock gives a smoother ride right? I'd have to move my battery, but I already have a solution for that.

I don't expect to get much more in suspension travel (the u-joints on the driveshaft limit that) but I would like to try and get a smoother ride. By smoother ride I mean softer landings on jumps and aggresive trail riding (Fast!). So, will angling the rear shock help and what sort of shock in a 16 inch variety could I use?

Let's hear some ideas!

SWIGIN
07-27-2008, 06:40 PM
moveing lower mount back will make it stiffer....or should

thats how my steering stabalizers work....the closer to the stem the softer it is....the farther away from the stem the stiffer

fabiodriven
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I understand what you're saying. I'd bet it would be smoother. You never know for sure though until you try.

SWIGIN
07-28-2008, 12:17 AM
moving it back give less leverage and speeds up the shock shaft and stiffen it

fabiodriven
07-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Moving it back would stiffen it. However, he said the shock would be at quite an angle. I'd have to imagine if the shock is at as much of an angle as he says, it may work OK. Or maybe not...