PDA

View Full Version : are they outlawing trikes for kids?

Jim mac
08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
did anyone see the law the pres is suppose to be signing soon? the headline was about making sure there was no lead in kids toys, (remember the recalls?) if you read a few of the other highlights, its suppose to ban "three wheeled ATV's" and let cpsc have more power to regulate the atv's.
So are the idiots on capitol hill spending our tax dollars, banning a product that hasnt been manufactured in over 20 years? It makes you think they would have something else to worry about, like the economy, gas prices, drunk drivers (which im sure kills and injures more kids than three wheelers). Jim

threewheelin-feelin
08-02-2008, 12:40 AM
where did you see this at...and it is no suprise to me...our government has no clue how to run a country

Jim mac
08-02-2008, 12:54 AM
it was in the arizona daily star, in the national section. the headline had something to do with banning lead in toys. then when you get to the end of the article, theres a couple other things they threw in. this was one of them. jim

Jim mac
08-02-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/fromcomments/250814.php
Hopefully the link works. the paragraph is at the very bottom. jim

threewheelin-feelin
08-02-2008, 01:16 AM
that just simply says bans 3wheel-atvs and strengthens regulations on other atvs:crazy:

Jim mac
08-02-2008, 01:58 AM
so are they talking ATC's? thats about the only three wheeled atv's or am I missing something? jim

SYKO
08-02-2008, 08:35 AM
ATC is hondas designation for a three wheeler ALL TERRIAN CYCLE. Since there are so many hondas naturaly everyone just calls any three wheeler an ATC.

firehart
08-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Why won't they just leave us alone?

atctim
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
My father in law heard on the news on the radio about banning 3 wheeled ATVs - it caught his ear. Anyway - not sure why the CPSC (A-Holes) are beating this dead horse. Not to mention - how the hell is this gonna be enforced?

They will pry my trikes from my cold dead hands!

Mrs.Mosh
08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
They are probably talking about the little 3 wheeled pit bikes and stuff. Not our old trikes we own, but any new items.

firehart
08-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Sounds to me like someone on the board has a personal vandetta against us. Why else would they bother? Maybe they will outlaw outdoor toilets too.

LonesomeTriZ
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
IF, they are refering to childrens trikes they have another thing coming if they think I am taking my son's Zingers away from him. He will ride on three wheels until he tells me he wants to change. Then it will be his choice to make and not some one else's.

Dammit!
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Isn't there such a thing as a line item veto? Not that I expect Bush to catch it but, that would be pretty cool.

Bad Karma
08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Pres. Bush has been asking for the line-item veto forever. Congress won't give it to him.

Mosh
08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I am about sick of this communist way of life that is getting imposed more and more everyday on us,and people in general......:shiftyeyes:

Maybe instead of Trikefest next year,we should all go to Capital Hill with our trikes, and have protest parade,followed by Some flattrack and MX racing right there on the Whitehouse front lawn!:banned: shens

firehart
08-03-2008, 09:33 AM
If you buy your eight old a Hummer and turn him loose with it and somebody gets hurt are they going to ban Hummers? Its the responsibility of the parents not the government to teach and protect our kids. If the government outlawed everything that hurt us, we'd still be walking everywhere.

300rman
08-03-2008, 01:07 PM
If the government outlawed everything that hurt us, we'd still be walking everywhere.

dont worry, that day is coming.

ADW3
08-05-2008, 12:21 AM
This is a topic that concerns ALL of us. If you ride a 3wheeler and want to continue to ride one, then you should educate yourself as much as possible about what is happening here. It is very likely that things are going to change sooner rather than later when it comes to trikes. There are many of us that, apparently, have decided that there's nothing that can be done now so "why even bother trying???" However, that could be the attitude that sinks the boat that we're all barely floating in.

The "big picture" ramifications that will no doubt result from the signing of this bill are widespread in terms of the 3wheeler community. This may be the strongest reason for us all to unite since the advent of the internet, and the efforts of the few that envisioned a website(s) that would attract "our kind." ;)

Again, we should ALL unite somehow and formulate a strategy to start the fight against "city hall". You can read and contribute to further discussion on this topic at the other site HERE. (http://http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=33722) If you can sift through some of the self-gratifying and potentially radical-extremist BS ( :( ) you will find that there is some very substantial discussion on the topic there. I know that there are other trike sites that may be discussing this as well, but I've not had the time to check that out yet.

If ever there was a time for us to put aside whatever differences, opinions, and biases that we might have, that time is now. PLEASE feel free to offer your suggestions, assistance, expertise, etc., etc., etc. with regards to attacking and/or dealing with this situation!

Yes, there's a VERY strong possibility that this is a losing cause with no hope of ever succeeding. However, if that's the attitude that we take then we guarantee that will be the case and, therefore, seal our own fate. Thanks for your time! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/worthy.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

ADW3
08-09-2008, 01:55 PM
bump.

Opinions anyone?

Gag_Halfront
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Sheesh... Speaking of educating yourself...

`(c) Requirements for 3-Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicles- Until a mandatory consumer product safety rule applicable to 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles promulgated pursuant to this Act is in effect, new 3-wheeled all-terrain vehicles may not be imported into or distributed in commerce in the United States. Any violation of this subsection shall be considered to be a violation of section 19(a)(1) of this Act and may also be enforced under section 17 of this Act.

5. Ban of Three-Wheeled ATVs

The Consent Decrees prohibited the ATV distributors who signed the
Consent Decrees from distributing or selling three-wheeled ATVs. In the
LOUs, the major distributors agreed to continue to refrain from selling
three-wheeled ATVs. None of them currently sell them (although three-
wheeled ATVs that pre-date the Consent Decrees are still in use and
could continue to be used if a ban is finally adopted). However, newer
entrants to the ATV market have not made such agreements with the
Commission.
The Commission's Office of Compliance has found that three-wheeled
vehicles are being advertised and marketed as ATVs for sale in the
United States. Compliance staff has identified three importers who have
sold a recreational vehicle that is essentially a cross between a
traditional ATV and a dirt bike, and would meet the proposed rule's
definition of an ATV. All three importers use the Internet as the
retail location for this product. They refer to it as a three-wheeled
ATV. The price ranges from $350.00 to $380.00, plus shipping. All three
importers are selling this product with a 49cc engine displacement.

So, having found and read the bill, it appears to me that this is a "re-up" bill that basically renews the funding and charter of the CPSC. Having found and read the CPSC's proposed rules, it appears that they're trying to put the brakes on these el-cheap-o chinese bike manufacturers coming in and selling trikes without playing by the same rules as Honda et all. I'm not sure I see where any _new_ action is being taken against 3-wheeled ATVs that is different from the situation we've had for a long time. Am I wrong? Can somebody point out language that I've missed that imposes a new restriction? :confused:

In fact... It sounds like what we really need is a safety ruleset for trikes so that the ban can be expunged. If you want to lobby your congressman about that, go for it. Heck... Write some rules and propose that they offer it as an amendment. Maybe I'll start a thread and see what we can come up with.

What certainly won't help is a bunch of uneducated reactionary ranting, anxiety attacks, or "cold dead hands" speeches.

Now... If only they would say who these mystery retailers were and maybe the URLs... :D

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s2663/text
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr06/066703.html