PDA

View Full Version : K&N or UNI

350Xccelerator
06-17-2003, 08:08 PM
which one is a better filter ?

MR ATC
06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
uni is a better filter for off road use and for long term. k&n are pretty much disposable filters

cmracer15
06-17-2003, 11:12 PM
i see it the other way around. K&N is a much better filter then Uni. for many reasons. they sink tons of money into their research. and tons of racers use them..it dont matter from drag racing,to stock cars,to motocross...they are much better

NOS_350X
06-18-2003, 01:40 AM
i agree with cmracer

lisnup65
06-18-2003, 08:15 AM
K&N filters are one of the worst on the market for protection. The gains gained from a K&N are at the loss of protection. Most racers use them because the more air into a motor the more you can get out of it. These racers also maintanace their machines as in tear downs after each race or on a tight schedule.
The Unifilter offers better overal protection, but due to its design it will be more restrictive.
I myself run K&N with with an outterwear. The addition of the outterwear brings protection back to the level of the Uni.

A quick search on the web will reveal the truth about the protection of a K&N compared to standard filters.

MR ATC
06-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Team Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, all use uni and or twin-air (same type as uni) air filters none of them use K&N.

i will concede that if you take 2 brand new filters oiled and ready to go K&N dose flow more air, however once they both get a light coating of dust, the small holes in the paper element of the K&N clog up and the foam filter has more flow.
the professional teams/racers that do use K&N also only use them once then they throw them away and put on new ones.

Joel85350X
06-18-2003, 10:58 AM
listenup hit it on the head.

If you actually research the numbers, the UNI filter can filter out smaller particles that a K&N. However, the addition of the K&N Outerwear brings the protection back up to the same level, but the airflow capabilities are still superior for the K&N over the UNI even with an outerwear.

Overall, I still choose the K&N over the UNI because of the reputation and the cleaning ease. I clean and oil my filter about once a month, which maintains the protection capability and flow advantage.

ATC crazy
06-18-2003, 11:37 AM
I would go w/ K&N and the Outerwears. It those 2 combined offers the same protection as the UNI, BUT still flows more air...then its a plus.

350Xccelerator
06-18-2003, 01:05 PM
whats an outerwear?

J.D.
06-18-2003, 02:09 PM
whats an outerwear?

Kinda like a condom for an air filter.

Mobular
06-18-2003, 02:19 PM
it's a tightly woven nylon sock made to cover the filter, and keep the bigger garbage from getting to the filter.

ATC crazy
06-18-2003, 02:21 PM
whats an outerwear?

Kinda like a condom for an air filter.

LMFAO :D

Joel85350X
06-18-2003, 02:48 PM
In addition, I am pretty sure that the latestr version of the outerwear is waterproof.

350Xccelerator
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
which one costs less? can you put an outerwear on a UNI?

lisnup65
06-18-2003, 03:08 PM
In addition, I am pretty sure that the latestr version of the outerwear is waterproof.

Not that I am aware of. I just received my 2 new OW's for the 350 and 250R. They have the same part # and its not a WP(water proof) beginning like the jetski ones.

ccrider
06-19-2003, 01:50 PM
ok, just so you know the K&N is not a paper filter it is fabric gauze, very tightly woven thin in layers. Anyway if it were paper the water used to clean it would tear it up.

I like K&N and use them on most of my machines. If you don't have the "outerwear" these guys are talking about, also known as a pre-charger. At least that is what the catalogs and parts guys call it. You can make a quick fix with a pair of panyhose. (Not implying that you would have them laying around but maybe your mom or gf) but if you need to just cut the leg of the hose and put it over the filter. This works well in a pinch if you are on the fly in dusty conditions. cheap and can be found at most convenience stores.

Don't know much about the UNI, a friend has one and I think they are foam, which after a while breaks down and tears.

My 2cents. =)cc

350Xccelerator
06-19-2003, 01:54 PM
will an outerwear fit on a UNi

Billy Golightly
06-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Personally I like UNI style foam filters. Mainly because this area where I'm at here gets VERY VERY VERY dusty sometimes when your riding...So dusty you can't breathe. I feel that the contruction of the UNI's foam and sponge like design can better trap particles then a fiber filter like a K&N as long as it is kept oiled and cleaned every once in a while.

ccrider
06-19-2003, 02:26 PM
I just checked on www.denniskirk.com and I don't see that they sell a pre-charge for the UNI filter system so it probably does not need one. I would say it probably would not hurt but I would wonder about the additional restrictions on air flow since that seems to be the only draw back between the UNI and the K&N. Being mentioned above tht the UNI is a little more restrictive. But I am speaking out of appearances and not experience. Like I said above I don't have a UNI.

=)cc

Joel85350X
06-19-2003, 02:29 PM
You could physically put an outerwear on a uni, but why would you want to? You would not be helpinmg anything by doing this, and you would be hurting your airflow. The uni filters enough dust as it is.

ccrider
06-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Interesting information and learning for me at www.rockymountainatv.com :D

"· MULTI-STAGE COMPETITION OFF-ROAD AIR FILTERS
· Traps dirt and dust in two layers of foam, the large pore pre-filter
captures the bigger particles
· The small pore inner filter prevents any engine wrecking grit from
reaching the cylinder"

So it appears that the UNI system is a Two foam system already and has a built-in pre-charger as a part of the system. So no need for an additional one.

Where as the K&N does not come standard with a pre-charger so extra cost.

I learned something today. Maybe I'll put a UNI on the Trail Blazer and see how we like it. :D

thanks for the education. =)cc