PDA

View Full Version : Insurance giving me new bike, tough call

cody2
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I made a statement to the insurance company, and they said in 2 weeks if the bike wasnt found id be given the retail value of the outlaw plus tax and the warranty extras. The only problem is after getting the kfx back from a long time of off riding i prefer it. So that aside ive thought of another bike besides the outlaw, didnt like how it handles at all i coudln't whip the rear end around it would just tip and it handled not unlike a utility quad and sat too tall. I was thinking maybe in favor of the Outlaw 450 or Ktm 450, even possibly a honda, but i dont want to spend more time in the shop and have to rebuild it every 30 hours or so.

So here comes the tough call, im looking for a bike that handles great like a kfx , more of an mx bike that's a bit smaller, im 6'0 but i prefer a smaller bike really there a lot lighter and the size of the kfx suits me perfectly. I ride some pipelines, some open road for miles of just 30 - 40 feet wide trails, and i do some tight stuff too but not a lot of it, im probably going to put a pipe on it as im a bit of a speed freak, and id like something with decent suspension and if it doesn't come stock with good tires i plan on putting a set on. What does this narrow me down to? I was thinking a outlaw 450 (because they come with fox shocks and razrs and its in my price range), a raptor 700 but im not sure the handling or the suspension and there a bit slow stock form, the trx 450 looks nice but i heard the yfz's have a lot of problems. Im going to be trail riding but i drive fast and all my buddy's have racing bikes. A dirtbike isnt out of the question either but im not so much into dirtbikes as i have a motorcycle already and dont see the need. Any suggestions would be greatly recommended , i am willing to spend up to around 12,500.

SWIGIN
08-10-2008, 08:43 AM
at least you learned from this that the outlaw isnt so great....to damn heavy

sounds like you want a 450r....and as far as the suspention, did you know alot of pro MX and gncc guys use the stock shocks.

they get them rebuilt but they are the stock shocks and they work well.

my buddys has a 05 450r that he races in the gncc and practices on (the thing takes a beating) and it has recently bin rebuilt.

so they do last but he never would check valves or maintain the motor well ether and it still held up a few years.

smokinwrench
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
at least you learned from this that the outlaw isnt so great....to damn heavy

525S only weighs 375 that is the same weight as the yfz and 450r if you concider that it comes with better heavier tires then either of them bikes. Heck the Raptor 700 wieghs 396 dry and everyone always talks about how heavy the 525IRS is at 395.

cody2
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I heard good things about the 450r from the honda dealer actually, i talked to them for awhile and they told me it would probably be the best bike for me as the 400ex i said i didnt want because it just doesn't have the power im looking for or the suspension. The 450r looks solid and if i wouldn't have to rebuild or fix it all the time thats what im looking for. I didnt find the outlaw 525 heavy actually, it was just so tall and felt incredibly awkward on the trails like it was going to tip all the time, it was just too big and tall i played with the suspension but no chance at all.

The Goat
08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I might get creamed for this...but a 450r in stock form is nothing impressive.

cody2
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Its not really, the kfx would run with it, but there probably good on motors and stuff because there not pushing that much power

SWIGIN
08-10-2008, 06:15 PM
525S only weighs 375 that is the same weight as the yfz and 450r if you concider that it comes with better heavier tires then either of them bikes. Heck the Raptor 700 wieghs 396 dry and everyone always talks about how heavy the 525IRS is at 395.

i ment heavy feeling...as in to ride....as in a tank....lol

ccdhowell
08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Its not really, the kfx would run with it, but there probably good on motors and stuff because there not pushing that much power

Have you looked at the KFX450R? I know there are a couple of them that XC race with me and they look and perform well. Both guys have changed shocks, one to Elka, one to Works. Don't know if that means the stock shocks are junk or not though.

Swingin is right about stock shock revalves. I plan on sending my complete set in to C&D Racing in Nebraska in November for Race Tech conversions. They're gonna to the zero preload setup on all three which will reduce the height 1.5 to 2 inches on my tall Raptor. Should handle much better.

What kind of KFX did you have?

cody2
08-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah i did look at the kfx, i dont like the thought of an aluminum frame, not totally against it just thinking maybe in the long run it wouldn't be as good. Plus the kawasaki dealer here are a bunch of @$$h013s.

Yamatrike400
08-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Wadda ya say you get a Trike :naughty:

SYKO
08-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I would go with the KTM from what Ive heard and read they are hands down the best near perfect race quad that has ever come out. If I had the money I would jump on one of those!

200x newby
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I would go with the KTM from what Ive heard and read they are hands down the best near perfect race quad that has ever come out. If I had the money I would jump on one of those!

Agreed!!!!!!!!

badasskfx
08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
the ktm looks real good. i havent riding one yet but they look real good.

cody2
08-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah but the only problem is im in nb, the closest ktm dealer is 2 hours away and i heard there expensive for parts, i dont feel like blowing gas with my 10mpg ford f350 and borrowing a trailer every time i need a minor repair, on the 450 shootout i read the outlaw was about even with the ktm thats what im looking into.

200x newby
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
have you looked at the new can-am?

rdlsz24
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Why not just ride the KFX and put the money in the bank? Why have 2 quads that are pretty similiar?

Rob

cody2
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Kfx has alot of engine problems, im assuming it was beat up before i got it, it looks nice though. Im thinking of just getting a sportsman 850xp in october when our dealer gets them

200x newby
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
that ds450 is lookin real sweet!

xXxDaNxXx
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
hehe, im from nb also, i just recently bought a 400ex with a 440 bigbore kit and elka shocks, i gotta real good deal on it. its been nothing but a blast :D keeps up wth my friends 450's and even some of the 250 2 strokes.

cody2
08-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah they will, the kfx as a 440 would run a trx 450r. Im really not sure what im getting for the next bike its a tough call, but with a 800 sportsman i can do some serious mudding and take the woman on the back, with a 450 outlaw the resale value will just drop and it will probably break alot and get stuck all the time.

The Goat
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
grizzly...it will outlast that sportsman...and it's only problem are axles...if you put over 28s it'll snap em like twigs...then you go with gorilla...and you're set.

cody2
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
The only problem is if i got a big 4x4 i'd have 2, i dont think its worth it to get a big 800 then attempt to sell the 5, i wouldn't get much for it its all beat up always breaking on me, i'd also like to buy at the polaris dealer always very good to me, bike wasnt on warranty but something they put on in the suspension broke on me so they put a new one free, im not sure what its called , control arm does that sound about right?

4Q2
08-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Have you tried a LT450 ? Two of my friends have them and like them a lot, a little beefier than the kfx

cody2
08-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I tried one out yeah, i liked it a lot. I was thinking of buying the front shocks off it when the guy switched to aftermarkets but i dont know if they will fit my kfx?

Eric250R
08-16-2008, 04:57 PM
The LTR and The TRX are probably a bit on the small side for your height. My vote is for the YFZ450. The only ones that had problems were the 04 and 05 models, the 06 and up are very good machines. ( by the way, I used to work for Honda and Yamaha ) The KTM and Can-am are still a little too new for my liking. Anyway you go, good luck.

cody2
08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Eric i know what your saying the yfz's are great machines. Do the newer ones have reverse and electric start? Im thinking about it, or a 800 sportsman, id really like to buy from the polaris dealer though, they treat me real well and i like that.

dizasterzrfun69
08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
really like to buy from the polaris dealer though, they treat me real well and i like that.

but in the end you still have a polaris :eek: i heard KTM has a bad ass quad out now.

AirManCam
09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I can't believe some people think a stock 450 isn't impressive. I've owned 2 05's, and a 03 z400. Compared to a kfx and z400 well, you can't even compare them. The 450's have just about a whole other gear on them. They are just two totally different machines. If I were going to buy a new 450 it would either be the can am or the ktm, probably the ktm.

cody2
09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Im going with the 525, polaris can only allow me to use my warrenty on it (5 years, $1200) so im not throwing that away, placed an order for a 2009 outlaw 525 with i-razr tires front and back, nerf bars and pro taper handlebars. Id rather have 5 year warranty because it covers everything.

Also a kfx can keep up with a 450 with alot of money on it, doug gust raced one for the longest time. My kfx is far from stock and it will run a stock 450r , but with the power up kit they have up for them its a totally different story. My kfx has cams, cdi box, programmable ignition, 440 big bore again, high comp piston, pro circuit ti4 titanium full system, ported and polished, alot of other stuff.