PDA

View Full Version : Are there any firefighters on here?

LonesomeTriZ
08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I am looking for information on becoming a firefighter. Being since I no longer have a future in law enforcement (long story) I am thinking about chasing my boyhood dream of fighting fires. In all honesty what are my chances at 31 years old? What are today’s standards of education and physical fitness. What type of process am I looking at? I have a college education and I am not lazy. So fire away and tell me straight.

firehart
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Are there any volenteer fire departments close to you. It might be a good way to get your foot in the door and get some experience along with it.

TravEX
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, become a volunteer for a while to see if you like it. I was a volunteer for a few years and my brother is a career fireman (Captain). It's a hard life. Think of the hottest Georgia day you can remember, now put on bunker gear and SCBA gear and go into a burning building. My heart goes out to fireman, we need them. My brother got in on a once is a lifetime rescue a few weeks ago, saved a young ladies life, she crashed her car into a natural gas substation, ruptured a 14" main. It's times like that that make it worth it.

Volunteering will get your feet in the door, you will learn alot and find out what you need to do.

Tri-ZNate
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah become a volunteer. The hardest part is getting the training and being able to put all your gear on in less than a minute (a PITA the first 2 dozen times you do it). Our company is going to do a full day of pump training next sunday so us younger guys can learn to use the pump systems, because we dont let anyone drive the truck unless they can run the pump too.

firehart
08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
You should also look into EMT training. That's always good to know too.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 05:55 AM
I know a lot of people who volunteered and my hat is off to them. I have no idea how they balanced work, family, and the fire station. I was hoping I can just focus an getting hired. I am willing to put myself through the acedemy. But, I do not know what to expect or what state we are going to live in.

SYKO
08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I got a fire in my pants you can cum put out! lmfao!!

seriously though I know a 44 year old over wieght retard that just got on the fir dept down here in valdosta, there is alot of fire depts down here man! becouse of the rural area they have them everywhere as we tend to have forest fires down here often.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 08:45 AM
That is the area I was thinking about applying for. That and Loundes (spelling) County.

devilman
08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
i am pretty sure that most places have a cut off age of 34, so do it while you can. getting EMT certs will also help you get hired on. Your in the military correct? you shouldn't have a problem with fitness test, unless you in the Airforce:lol:
good luck with it.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I am afraid by the time I get home and start the school, I will be too old. I am no longer in the military, I am over here as a civilian. I am however working on the fitness part.

SYKO
08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
wtf? you cant read? I said I KNOW A 44 yearl old over wieght retard that is getting in the fire dept in valdosta now!

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
wtf? you cant read? I said I KNOW A 44 yearl old over wieght retard that is getting in the fire dept in valdosta now!

:lol: I get it. I ma saying if I go else where I may be outside their age limit.

devilman
08-11-2008, 09:46 AM

wtf, you can't read either?? :D i said "most" don't know if you was talking to me. is he a volunteer with previous experience. that may help the "retard"

lonesometriz, i know this one guy i was in school with, he signed a one year reservist duty with the army, they sent him to fire school in TX, while in school he applied for dallas fire dept and was hired before he finished the class. its about a 3 month school and you can get your emt in 30 days. he was 33 years old.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 09:53 AM
If I go through with this I will go ahead and put my self through the acedemy. Then I am a free agent.

devilman
08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
cool man, check out goodfellow AFB. it is supposed to be one of the best schools for fire fighting. you get structural and airport firefighting certification. thats where i went, i can't recall of any civilians there when i went, but thay was a long time ago.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Where the hell is that? I doubt they will take me if it is an Air Force school.

devilman
08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
horrible town of san angelo TX. they may take you, they take all services, and since they are trying to cut numbers for the airforce, civilians are taking over running the place, i will contact a guy i worked with who is teaching down there right now and see if they take civilians. as a matter of fact i think i recall a couple being there when i was.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I would like to know more about that.

devilman
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
not a problem man, i sent him an email and will post as soon as i find something out. take care over there.

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks.

devilman
08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
all right next to last paragraph of this link. are you contracted through DOD?

http://www.aetc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123035640

LonesomeTriZ
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Why yes I am. I am not in the fire fighting field though, I am in security. I wonder if I can cross over. Thanks for the link, this is certainly worth looking into.

Billy Golightly
08-11-2008, 09:55 PM
... its about a 3 month school and you can get your emt in 30 days. he was 33 years old.

Can you elaborate on that a bit, the EMT in 30 days part? That sounds interesting to me.

LonesomeTriZ
08-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Some of the fire fighters I have been talking to here siad fire one and two is only a couple of weeks each. I am sure that has nothing to do with the EMT part, but it does sound too easy.

Tri-ZNate
08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Some of the fire fighters I have been talking to here siad fire one and two is only a couple of weeks each. I am sure that has nothing to do with the EMT part, but it does sound too easy.

Essentials (pre FF1)is 160 hours long (probably longer by now), and I believe its a country wide deal.

LonesomeTriZ
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Well I should be able to knock that out when I get home. With the help of the G.I. Bill anyway.

diggerzmound
08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I've been a volunteer for 9 years. Fun work, takes up lots of my free time, but I really enjoy it.

LonesomeTriZ
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I still do not know how you volunteer guys do it. That is real dedication.

wheelie king
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Louis. Holler at me via email and tell me what's going on. Long story?????

Not like I am connected or anything. :D :D I can hook you up.

Seriously.

LonesomeTriZ
08-14-2008, 12:29 AM
I'll shoot you an email in little while. I just got a non emergancy call to have to go to. Damn, that means no lights.