PDA

View Full Version : swamped motor...... Please Help!!!

tecatecrazy
10-30-2002, 08:12 PM
I just ran the tecate thru a 6" mud puddle and loaded the engine with water.. needless to say its dead. here is what I know: there was very little water in the exhaust, I have no compression at all and from what I could see through the ehaust port the piston is pretty scratched up. Obviously the piston and rings will need to be replaced, but is there something that I should do to make sure that I dont ruin the bottom half of the engine before I pull the jug or am I way past worring about that at this point? Whats the first step? :( :( :( :(

Billy Golightly
10-30-2002, 08:15 PM
If you sucked in a lot of water your rod is without a doubt bent, and will require replacement. You'll have to split the cases and the crank (The crank has to be split to put on a new rod), and get a new rod.

tecatecrazy
11-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Well I got the crank cleaned out by dumping three gallons of mixed gas with bottle of heat(to absorb any water) into the case and working the piston up and down to loosen things up. Ithen dumped about 6 oz. of oil into the case to keep the rust out until I get my new rings and a set of upper gaskets from Dennis Kirk ( saved about $30 by not using the kawasaki dealer), which I plan to wash out with mixed gas again before reassembeling (Is this a good idea?). I guess what I need to know is when I'm breaking in the new rings what should I be looking for in reguards to the plug if anything? Oh yeah, I talked to a guy that has rebuilt alot of tecate engines and he says that it is ok to hone the cylinder as long as you dont get too carried away. Any input on this rebuild would be much appreciated since this is my first engine rebuild of any kind.-----Joe