PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, ethanol! WTF???

wheelie king
08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I would like to thank the ethanol now put in gasoline for RUINING my lawn tractor. It slowly built a clog in the fuel system (lines, regulator, filter, etc.-unbeknownst to me) causing my tractor to run really lean ( how it ran so well I am amazed- but it's a Briggs) and eventually burn a valve. When digging though trying to figure out what went wrong, I noticed the fuel lines, tank, and other components of the fuel system had a gel-like substance in them, which restricted flow. Thanks to the ethanol eating at the rubber and plastic.

The more I tell this story , the more people I find with lawn equipment, boat motors, etc, with trashed carb seals and other fuel feed problems due to this GARBAGE added to gasoline.

Anyone else in this hell?????:( :( :( :( :( :(

300rman
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
it also absorbs water, and in extreme cases i have seen it ruin new car's injectors due to the water.

ATC-Eric
08-12-2008, 09:16 PM
On my lawn tractor, at an idle it started surging, I was told by a good lawn mechanic that the pilot jets get clogged, and they do that. Maybe its related?

THat really sucks man. Sorry to hear.

wheelie king
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks- I'll take any and all suggestions. I am still in SHOCK!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

nouseforaname90
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I have heard multiple horror stories from friends about their parents expensive boats and also cars that have been messed up due to the new ethanol.
Personally, I used gas with ethanol in it (without knowing it, for a little while) and my car now no longer runs correctly. I switched to a different gas, but it still doesn't run like it used to.

300rman
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I have heard multiple horror stories from friends about their parents expensive boats and also cars that have been messed up due to the new ethanol.
Personally, I used gas with ethanol in it (without knowing it, for a little while) and my car now no longer runs correctly. I switched to a different gas, but it still doesn't run like it used to.

dump a few cans of SEAFOAM fuel system cleaner in your tank. the stuff works wonders.

MTS
08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
We tell customers, Ethanol is ok to run, but for storage (like it sounds) it will gel and gunk the whole system up, i myself don't run it period, Thats on bikes Imo

TravEX
08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Where can you get gas without Ethanol?! Every station I stop at say "up to 10% Ethanol" in their gas.

brapp
08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
its just gay i ahve 2 mowers and 4 chain saws that are gettign fucke dup because of this crap and dont even get me started what happens to aluminum when ethanol i slef tin the carb or in aluminum parts can u say corosive.

Trouble
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Yup,*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edite d**Edited* ethanol is killing every thing

LonesomeTriZ
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a suggestion, switch everything over to diesel.

SWIGIN
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
diesel?!?!

no way....lol

i always gas up at the same station for my big block bronco....well one day i gave another station a chance and about 10 miles later it started running bad.....real bad.

got it home and the fule filter was FULL of the mechanical fule pump diaphram.....so i throw a new one on ( the bad one was only a few years old) it makes noise......im like WTF!

dump in my old faithful gas and boom....no noise to this day

im 100% sure that corn had a roll in my problem

Tri-Z 250
08-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I run a fuel conditioner and have been treating my gas with a Military Spec conditioner for years.

wheelie king
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, that motor is trash in my tractor. Burned valve for sure.

Just watch your outboards and vintage/classic stuff, guys. This sheet is killing everything.

beets442
08-13-2008, 09:06 PM
dump a few cans of SEAFOAM fuel system cleaner in your tank. the stuff works wonders.
+1 Seafoam. My boatmotor floats stuck and flooded the motor. Drained all the fuellines, tank and motor. Pink crystals in bowl from ethenol crystlizing the Stabile from earlier this spring! Used 1 can of seafoam W/ 15gal. of premium. ALLS GOOD....BEETS

dickieg89
08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
yeah, ethanol is garbage. not only do i have to watch gas prices but now i map out the non ethanol gas stations.

I have a 05 colorado inline 4 with 72k on it, me and the wife only have 1 vehicle, anyways, i get 23 mpg mixed with non ethanol, 20 with ethanol (89 octane), it's worth finding the place that doesn't use it. I've tried 91 octane, doesn't matter.

TravEX
08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes, ethanol is not near as efficient as gasoline. I don't know if I can find a non-ethanol station here or not, still looking.

To hear ya'll talking about how ethanol gels when it sits for a while scares me. All 7 of my atv/atc's, boat, lawnmowers, tillers, weedeater, blowers, pressure washers are just sitting in the shop with that gas in it. I just had trouble with my riding mower, fuel filter stopped up! That filter was only 2 monthes old, I wonder if it was related to ethanol!

300rman
08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
nah the new diesel sucks too.

because they cut so much stuff out of it, our 7.3 is getting about half the mileage it did.
it doesnt smell like diesel, and the truck isnt as powerful either.

not to mention, it goes bad after about 6 months, much like gas. gels up and decomposes, the sh!t sucks hairy nuts.

so keep that in mind you diesel fans!

brapp
08-14-2008, 12:29 AM
and no to mention the older diesels dont have the lubericationa nd it is takign out injection pumps and injectors left and right
\

droopie31
08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I've never had a problem with ethanol. I have put roughly 25-30,000 miles on my car running ethanol and never had ONE lick of trouble, nor anyone in my area. Not trying to sound like an A-hole but do you guys fill up with like E-85? Because I have never heard the like. Maybe everyone from here has been lucky? Anyways, these horror stories get me all worried:confused: Please don't run me out of town for my post, just posting my experiences.

drew

wheelie king
08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
It's not even e85, bro. It is regular 87 with the 10% (ha-ha!) ethanol in it. The mix- like what is in every gas station in Florida except for BP. The stuff gels, ruins (drys out) carb seals, cracks rubber fuel lines, decomposes plastic gas tanks.... shall I go on??

Most vehicles made after 2006.5 are ok to run on this sh!t, but the rest are NOT. It causes all the problems I listed in addition to POOR mileage.

I could kill the idiot that thought this crap up.

TravEX
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
So, Seafoam will clear it up?

I need to add some to all my machines.

fisher535
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
My mechanic told me to run Marvels Mystery oil through everything every other fill up...I never had any problems since.

wheelie king
08-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Boat Owner Alleges Ethanol Damage In Lawsuit :

The Problem With Ethanol Ethanol is touted as a miracle fuel that will save the environment from global warning, but Internet reports show complaints that the gasoline blend retains water, dissolves plastic fuel lines, and gums carburetors. Since ethanol burns more quickly than gasoline, it may also get fewer miles per gallon in some cars. Ethanol can dissolve some solid materials, says a June 2006 Yamaha advisory to dealers. The ethanol found in those states' gasoline supply can cause thousands of dollars in damage to the boats, Cohen wrote. Ethanol eventually pulls gums, resins and debris out of the tanks and into the engine.
Tampa Bay Online - Aug 15, 2008

Now, the plot thickens!