PDA

View Full Version : Sand rail project, what to do?

honda_atc200es
08-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Me and my bud are bored, and to celebrate me being single, im gunna blow all my money on building a sand rail / dune buggy / go kart (although go kart is incorrect because this will have suspension) for an engine we want to use a motorcycle engine, plenty of overkill :twisted: .

found a concourse engine with all electrical and cooling for 50 bucks so we are looking to pick that up. as for the chassis im thinking to start with a standard go kart, and mod it. fit the new engine in, raise the cart to a clearance of around a foot (too much? i cant really visualize how tall this would make the buggy) with bigger wheels and somehow incorporating suspension. i would like to lower the top of the cage about 4 inches because i think most karts are too tall. then i want to extend it by cutting down the middle and adding in about a foot, and widen the wheels. i think chain drive should be used, easier to fabricate, and all and all simpler to replace and adjust. my biggest worries are mounting the engine, and the incorporation of suspension.

i think this could end up being very very cool. some other tidbits

engine in rear, gas tank (10 gallon? maybe less for sake of weight)

winch is a must, i can see getting stuck happening alot

lights, and dashboard of sorts would be cool

seat belts, possible 5 point harness is a definite with a 100hp engine in a 500 pound kart

how to shift? im thinking finding a way to hook up a stick shift to the foot shifter with a pedal clutch,that would be very cool.

here is what i would like to start with http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/793831680.html

ill think of more as things go on, but what i would like to know is your opinions of this, anything you would like to add? personal experience? parts:naughty:

yes this is dangerous and some may think waste of time:crazy:

But trr to you :twisted:

RoscoW
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Rather than add suspension to something that wasn't designed for it, start with something that was.
http://www.xtc-motorsports.com/mini.htm

Ross..

honda_atc200es
08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
wow, they are some bug bucks, thankyou for the site ill have to look into that, if anything its a great place to look to if we decide to go from scratch. im really excited about this project though :)

honda_atc200es
08-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Another thing i have been wondering, if we decide to build this from scratch, will stick welds be adiquite, that is to say of same quality as a mig welder (hope thats right, i didnt pay too much attention in metal shop :( )

Macs
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
what would cost the least and have the most resale value is just hack up a vw. You can find them easy for a couple of $$$. I have built several baja bugs for $300. They were not pretty but were fun. The first rail i built cost me $800. I just found a junked bug. It had been sitting in someone's yard for years and years. Beat to hell and back. Built my cage, bolted on the front suspension, then the transmission. Put a new top end on the motor and wallaaa. I need to post pics of the current one i am building. it is mid engined witt a 3.0

RedRider_AK
08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Me and my friends built one using a Factory Yamaha 700 triple 2-stroke engine... all on a budget of around 600 dollars including the engine. Of course, it is ugly and probably would fall apart if you actually rode it longer than a month, but still, it's possible. We used a Quadracer 250 front end for the front, welded that to some square stock beams and a hacked up Quadracer rear end for the back, home-extended the swingarm and made the axle about 3 feet wider. Basically, it was hacked together with anything we could find, looked like shite and was twice as heavy as it should have been. But we still took it up to 96.4 mph on a small-craft runway, we could have gone 110+ by our estimates because it was still accelerating when we ran out of room and had to get on the brakes.

honda_atc200es
08-24-2008, 12:15 PM
nicceeeee, im really curious what my friend decides to start with for the frame, but i know with a motorcycle engine in it, i might have to gear down a bit, no sense having an engine that does 140 when there is no where around to get to that speeed

RedRider_AK
08-25-2008, 05:51 AM
nicceeeee, im really curious what my friend decides to start with for the frame, but i know with a motorcycle engine in it, i might have to gear down a bit, no sense having an engine that does 140 when there is no where around to get to that speeed

What size is the motorcycle engine and what size are you looking to make the frame? How complicated are you trying to make this? Remember, as soon as you add suspension to the rear end (or any drive wheel) you open the door to about 20 more problem areas. I'd say that for beginners, I would just build a hardtail with a good amount of travel up front.

We went through so much crap trying to get our Quadracer-suspended kart to work decently, we fabricated chain guides, tensioners, etc. And the chain would still come off, plus a swingarm in the back makes the machine way too long. Independent rear suspension is where it's at as far as sandrails go, but that's even harder to fab up in "grassroots" circumstances...

Anyway, have a go at it. Good luck!