PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap triz

Swamp trike
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I have rd350 (Banshee) engine that I´m thinking of putting in the tri-z chassis!
Is there anyone who has done that type of operation:
Can it be done?
Do I have to cut the frame?
Any sollution for the exhausts?
Please respond with tips!!

Thanx
//Oscar

300rman
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
there was just one for sale on Ebay, so this has been done before. i doubt you will get a lot of specific pre-starting tips on doing this, but if you run into a problem, i am sure we can help.

that will be a wild ass ride once you get it done.

if you arent good at solving technical problems, arent good at fabricating, and dont have a welder and other fabrication tools, you probably shouldnt even attempt to do such.
you will also need work done on machines like lathes/mills, so if you dont have access to these machines, i would check pricing on local machine shops, or talk to a machinist here on the boards so you can get those custom made parts you will surely need.

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2008, 04:28 PM
A good ported strong running and correct Tri-Z motor is perfectly suited for your chassis and more than powerful enough.

Honestly, I'd say about 10% of larger displacement motor swaps are done correctly and thats why we always see them for sale. About the only reason larger motors should be installed in another chassis are when there built to be a straight line drag bike....

All the items involved with a swap like this need to be well thought out long before the sawzall gets broken out. The added weight, intake and exhaust routing are just the tip of the iceberg.

Just my .02c - you can do whatever you wish and whatever makes you happy....

There have been at least a few of these swaps so if your dead set on doing it, I'm sure there is some information out there to help you.

cr480r
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I think you would be much happier staying with a single cylinder unless you stricly drag race... any yz250 would be my engine of choice... unless you have the money for custom pipes the results of the swap will be probably be cobbled at best... The pipes hardly fit in the original quad frame without burning legs... lets not even mention the horrible power delivery of the shee...

Swamp trike
08-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback!
I have done this type of operations before, so I don´t accually see any problems with the swap itself....
The question is: is it worth it!?!
Maybe I should put my money down on tuning the original engine instead...
I´ve already converted it to a later model engine with powervalve, bigger carb and such, so it is fast!
But I guess you always want more, and with the Banshee engine I could go for a more massive tuning!!

LonesomeTriZ
08-19-2008, 03:59 AM
The question is: is it worth it!?

And the answer is no.

At least that is how I see it. You will take more away from the Z then you are adding.

Swamp trike
08-19-2008, 06:53 AM
And the answer is no.

At least that is how I see it. You will take more away from the Z then you are adding.

You´r probably right...
Have to do something, so I can smoke my buddies 350x:naughty:

LonesomeTriZ
08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
It should do that almost stock.

Swamp trike
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Acceleration: yes!
Top speed: No!

LonesomeTriZ
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I ate up a freinds 350X on a regular basis with an almost stock Z.

Swamp trike
08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Sweet!
However I´ve decided to skip the the 350 engine and tune up my old one:TrikesOwn

If U aint got a Tri-Z, U aint got *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*!!