PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Craigslist q

krizo88
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I put an add on craigslist . A guy emailed me back saying this...

RE: Tilt bed trailer CHEAP - $325 (fond du lac)‏
Sent: Sun 8/24/08 7:08 AM
Reply-to: namyturn2rule@gmail.com
To: Chris Zangl (krizo88@live.com)

Hello,
Thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an instant purchase i will be posting a certified check or money order to cover the cost of the item while you hold on my behalf. Once you have this,my mover will come pickup at you place.I will be needing the following information to issue out the payment . . .

1.Name to be on the check

2.Home address

3.Your state,city and zip code

4,Telephone

** Pls not that the payment for the item will be send to your address asap. I have taken a close look at the advert and am completely satisfied i really need this and will appreciates that you help save this for me till the payment arrives as it will save me some extra cost****

Something sounds weird about this. Who buys a trailer without even looking at it?

honda_atc200es
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
that is a scam, very prevalent on craigslist, just delete it and think nothing more, anytime someone says they will pay with a check or money order its a scam, its also a scam when someone says they will have a mover come get it, or if they are unusually for from where you live

krizo88
08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
ok, thanks! I didnt send my info, and I wont. Thanks again, Chris

honda_atc200es
08-24-2008, 12:16 PM
no problem :) wish you luck on your sale

devilman
08-24-2008, 01:37 PM
report that email to craigslist.

firehart
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Everything I sell on Craigslist is cash and carry only. I tell them " You come in person to look at it and if you want it you pay cash." I don't even tell them where I live. I take the stuff to work with me.

dan440hemi
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
thats a scamer i had almost the same email when i was trying to sell my go cart but the guy said he was from the ukand his broker was going to come and pay me and bla blabla

krizo88
08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I will turn the email in. Thanks guys

ScottZJ
08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Thats why I stopped putting my email in my listings anymore. I just put my phone numbers. I got tired of those scammer emails all the time.

krizo88
08-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Sold the trailer today. Cash, in person. Thanks guys for helping me avoid a problem! :)

Dirtcrasher
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Honestly guys, don't even SELL on Craigslist, don't sell anything you can't ship.... If you must sell a large item at your home, sell it to someone you know or friend of a friend.

There are far too many people on CL that just want to come to your home and see what you have laying around or case your home to break into it. I don't use CL at all anymore after I heard of a couple mof bad experiences by my friends.

Macs
08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I have quite doing any craiglist deals at my house. I get them to meet me somewhere and then go from there. I have met up with some real shady characters. When i was selling my Arctic Cat. I had talked back and forth with a guy for about a week. We were going to meet up so he could look at it. I was unfamiliar with the directions but when i got there, i quickly learned i shouldnt be there, if you know what i mean. Turned around and went home. Never heard from the guy again. After seeing the area, i am pretty sure i was going to get jacked. So for now on, deals like that will be done on my turf.

Gag_Halfront
08-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Certainly a scam. The way it works is, they send you a certified check, someone comes and gets the item, then about a week later your bank informs you that the check was a fake and you owe the bank however much the check was for. They usually try to get you to accept a check for more than the amount of the item so that you can "pay the movers and keep the extra" then you're out the item and the cash you paid the "movers".

The whole thing is a total scam.

Also, you might want to edit your post and take out your email address unless you like spambots sending you more junkmail.