PDA

View Full Version : Should i join the airforce?

honda_atc200es
08-27-2008, 03:19 AM
I've been thinking alot about what i want to do for my future, and really i dont know too much more other then that i am good with my hands, anything mechanical and you have my attention, scholastically i do pretty well i would say, but i cant see myself crunching numbers or filling out paper work for a living, i think the air force is the answer for me. it will teach me discipline, it will give me a new outlook on life, free college, free training, and an idea of what i do best in. now what im not sure about is what air force requirements are, academically and physically.

i do know that of the 4 branches, the air force is one of the strictest in enlistment requirements as far as schooling is concerned. and there is where i have a problem. i score excellent on tests (over a 90 on all regents examinations ive taken except chemistry which i got a 70) but my grades have been slipping lately in yearly averages, thanks to my ex (see advice thread:welcome: )

i haven't really had my head in the right place and i really tanked in school, i failed math, and came pretty darn close to failing some other classes. ever since i started highschool i have been only getting grades of around low 70's to high 80's. middleschool i did fine, high 90's and everything, but not in highschool. now because of this would i not be accepted into the airforce?

im not looking to be an engineer im more interested in aircraft mechanics. physically, im no marathon runner, i cant say im really fit. im not overweight, and i do excellent in P.E. but i would definitely not be able to do say a 5 min mile or anything like that. would this be a major factor?

what are your opinions, experiences? i would just like to hear it from a group of people before i ask a recruiter these questions ( and im pretty sure some recruiters cant discuss anything with me because im not 17 yet)

factoryX
08-27-2008, 04:00 AM
I would look into it, but I would look at other options first. that is just me...

Erics350x
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
You don't get much say in what you want to do in the military. A good friend of mine joined to learn Aircraft Mechanic's and ended up being the guy that hooks up the cargo hooks on Helicopter's. Man was he pissed.
On the other hand, i know lots of people who have made great lives for themselves in the military.
I don't think it matter's so much about your grades as long as you graduate. You can drop out and get a G.E.D. and still get in.

Macs
08-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Those grades will be fine to get into the Air Force. You need to look at several factors when deciding. I had been down that rode and i thank god i didnt choose the military ( no offense intended ).

Do you have means to pay for college without it?

How close are you with your family?

Where do you want to see yourself in 2 years? 5 years ? 10 years and so on?

I personally was going to enlist. My dad sat me down and talked me out of it. Every friend i had went to the military. Most of them didnt get the jobs they were promised and hated it except for one friend who i think is a lifer. My family was poor, could not afford college and i was known for staying in trouble. At 17 i set my goals. By 20 i was going to have an associates, by 21 i was going to have a house and i was going to have a great carreer. All of that came true. My buddies came back from the military. Having to work at walmart, car salesman and other medioocre jobs. I am now an engineer, i did it all myself and i am very proud. I almost make 2 times the amount of my next highest paying friend who after the military became a body man.

I feel that i made the right choice for me. I have friends that would be dead or in prison without the military. It has very good benefits. I am very greatful and proud of every soldier this great country has. You need to really way everything out.

SYKO
08-27-2008, 09:30 AM
all I can say is

GO MAVRICK!!!

:w00t:

Name Brand
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Do consider the Reserve or National Guard also. Barring deployment you get to live where you want. Live at home rent free, hang out with your freinds still! You also live your civilian life most all the whole month. I got tired of paying out of pocket for college. The guard feels a little more tight knit too. People know you will likely be around for the next six years or so; not just stationed for a year or two. My bonus was also $20k. The Guard has always done right by me.

I'm in the Alaska Army National Guard with an aviation unit. I'm a Blackhawk helicopter mechanic currently doing Crew Chief training. As a guardsmen on temp technician orders, I earn alot more than someone in the active army doing the same job. (At least here, the full time techs are unionized and get a state and military retirement!) I also have high enough scores I could get into flight school and become a pilot.

If you don't like being in the guard you can always go active duty.

Have you taken the ASVAB?

hublake
08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I would seriously look into the National Guard or reserves. There are good benefits either way reserves or active duty. I was drafted back in the Vietnam era and very fortunate for me I was stationed in West Germany for two years. When I got out I returned to college and the GI Bill helped me get my Bachelors and Masters degrees and I went on to teach school for 30 years.

Vealmonkey
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
The military is not for everyone. I did 6 years in the Navy and I did just fine. I saw combat and death in Beirut Lebanon in the 1980s'. The military is a good place to learn a trade. Some people make out better than others. Alot of what happens in the military is what you make of it. Basic Training will be a big culture shock, but you'll get through it. When they do runs, like the Navy did, it wasn't so much for time as building stamina. But where do you run in the middle of the ocean, you know? The real physical stuff was for joining up with the seals. I enjoyed my military enlistment most of the time. I got to see alot of places that I probably would have never seen any other way. The benefits of the GI Bill are very nice indeed too. A buddy of mine got his GED while in the Navy, but that was 25 years ago. If you can't get along well with others, it might not be the best for you, but you will be amongst a very diverse group of people and packed into a small area, at least in Basic Training. The military is not the best place to be if your very prejudiced as your job or life may depend upon someone you may not get along with racially. At times, you will really have to force yourself to do somethings that you might not have ever wanted to do in other times of your life. You might be called upon things to do that are against your religious beliefs. The Airforce is a branch of the military and part of their job is to make it impossible for other countries or other peoples to put people in harms way or to commit acts of destruction or violence. These acts can often only be stopped by stopping the people that are doing this, and generally means you will helping to end other peoples lives. Do you think that this would be a moral dilemma. If that poses a moral problem for you, than you might seriously want to think of alternative options. When I was in the Navy, we fired on Military Targets and people died. Also I have carried caskets of the people that were killed in the bombing of the American Embassy and Bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut Lebanon. I regret none of it. As a member of the military, you will be a part of machine that can end peoples lives. You may not pull the trigger or drop the bomb yourself, but you will be part of that. As long as that doesn't bother you, then I say sign up and have the blast of your life. Go to different places and meet new people and learn new things and make the most of it. I personally am better for it and it has helped me with the job I do now, Stationary Engineer. I worked in the engine rooms and boiler rooms on a destroyer. I survived and can laugh about alot now that wasn't funny at the time. Have it it man. Best of Luck!

texmedic58
08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm new here,and saw this thread,so here goes.It took me 23 years to finally quit the Army.All kidding aside,I would'nt trade those years for anything.Yes there is Danger,and yes there is alot of disilpline,and yes there are lots of rewards.I'll get a check for the rest of my life and that beats worring about social security.plus all my medical is covered,and believe me when your older thats a great thing.So you have to ask yourself alot of questions.Can I put up with all the travel?Can I put up with being told how to cut my hair?How to dress?And the Big one"Am I willing to Die for my country"as the possiblity of being in harms way is always there.There is much more,but those are the major ones.One thing you may want to consider is ROTC,then you go in as an officer.Good luck.

big_daddy124
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
hmm i been in the nat guard for 7 years. in iraq right now and besides the guard being good about education benefits i would choose air force. this being my second deployment here. air force does really short deployments like 6 months or less. they get really nice living quarters. just treated better. any service is fine though

Brockey
08-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I would rather be flying over a ground war dropping bombs then in it but its easy to get shot down too. I failed the medical other wise I would be there.... Color blind to reds and greens and never knew it. Now days I could possible get in but thats 10 years I would have punched now lost.