PDA

View Full Version : Mountian bike tires/rims

cody2
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Bent my sun equalizers on my kona five-o, i have fox talas 160mm's on the way, but i was wondering whats a good tire+rim? I run sun equalizers with maxxis minion dh's but they busted on me, are the double tracks worth the extra weight? I do alot of dirt jumping but i also go place to place sometimes.

RedRider_AK
09-06-2008, 04:16 AM
DeeMax's are what you need. Also good, Alex DX32's. Also, Halo Combat or SAS rims. Also, Azonic Outlaws. Heck, there's a lot of good rims out there.

As for tires, it all depends on what you do. Maxxis Holy Rollers are pretty much the standard for dirt jumping, which is what you said you do. However, you said you have a Talas 160 on the way? Why? That's way too long-travel for dirt jumping. That's an all-mountain/freeride fork. If you're going more towards allmountain or freeride, I recommend the Kenda Telonix tires. I have one on the back (it was on the front until yesterday) on my Slash and it gets SUPER braking performance, and tracks very well. A semi-aggressive tire that would work for you if you go on flat surfaces often is the Kenda Kinetics. Again, good tracking, good braking performance, but unlike the Telonix it doesn't have super-tall lugs to wear down on pavement and slow you down.

Doubletracks are good rims too but to be honest, I'm confused as to what you mean by "dirt jumping"? Maybe you're not building the jumps right, you shouldn't be landing hard at all... watch some videos of dirt jumping in action, they land and it's like they dropped off a curb, there's no slamming down involved...

Also, WTF is with using the Minion DH tires for dirt jumping. You have to pedal so hard with those knobby tires.

SWIGIN
09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
i dont but this tire must be tasty.....lol

cody2
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
The knobby minions came on my bike new, i hate them there terrible for dirt jumping, and im getting the talas fork and im going to set it at 130mm , thats decent, i wanted a fork i could also trail ride to some extent with as i dont have the money to buy 2 or 3 bikes i thought it would be the most versatile, im not just pure dirtjumping. Holy Rollers look good, but how much are azonic outlaws? Im sure i heard of them some wheres before.

RedRider_AK
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
The knobby minions came on my bike new, i hate them there terrible for dirt jumping, and im getting the talas fork and im going to set it at 130mm , thats decent, i wanted a fork i could also trail ride to some extent with as i dont have the money to buy 2 or 3 bikes i thought it would be the most versatile, im not just pure dirtjumping. Holy Rollers look good, but how much are azonic outlaws? Im sure i heard of them some wheres before.

Not sure in terms of price. Look for them on JensonUSA or something. Jenson always has good prices.

Also, Swigin, I've seen that pic before. Man the guy got PWNED. I wonder if the fork broke off his frame...

Louis Mielke
09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I remember when I was younger my $150 huffy took me everywhere. I didn't even take the streamers or basket off. Totally sick on the table tops too! Wore out a lot of $20 walmart tires though. Those where the days!

RedRider_AK
09-07-2008, 02:07 AM
I remember when I was younger my $150 huffy took me everywhere. I didn't even take the streamers or basket off. Totally sick on the table tops too! Wore out a lot of $20 walmart tires though. Those where the days!

As far as I know, only girl bike come with streamers, Louis... :lol: :lol:

Louis Mielke
09-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Awww crap... I knew I shouldn't have listened to my mother. She said the other boys weren't as lucky as me... haha!!!

factoryX
09-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I think they have a primo dirt monster for those bikes, but mainly all I see is kenda tires... alex rims kick major butt for both bmx or downhill/dirt jumpers.

RedRider_AK
09-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I think they have a primo dirt monster for those bikes, but mainly all I see is kenda tires... alex rims kick major butt for both bmx or downhill/dirt jumpers.

Yes, Alex does make some cool rims. There is better out there, but Alex are cost-effective and good for most people.

factoryX
09-07-2008, 08:14 AM
hey, stop calling me cheap.....

RedRider_AK
09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
hey, stop calling me cheap.....

I'm not I'm calling you... "cost-effective" :lol:

I suppose that's the "nice" way of calling someone a penny pinching miser. :lol:

factoryX
09-08-2008, 03:33 AM
yeah well here is another word for cheap: "ebay". A lot of my friends are running alex rims but there is a whole line of alex rims to choose from. and the top of the line stuff is not cheap. back to the matter of bikes, Kona is not my first pick. I would get a norco - http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/ or santa cruz - http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/nomad/ - http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/jackal/

RedRider_AK
09-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Kona isn't my first pick either, you pay extra for the name and they use outdated (read: Faux-bar) suspension... although I'm one to talk, right now I'm riding a single-pivot :rolleyes:

Norco aren't bad, we actually have a dealership here in my town for them and I am planning on picking up a street/DJ frame from them in a while... deciding between the 125 and a couple others. I wish the Ryde frame was available seperately here, because I trust cro-mo more than aluminum, considering I'm going to be slamming the shat out of the bike and aluminum has a nasty habit of just randomly snapping in two, you don't even get a bend or crack most of the time... just out of nowhere, the steer tube will rip off or something. :|

The new Santa Cruz Jackal looks about 5000 times better since they eliminated that gaaaay camel hump on the frame. People loved it (Santa Cruz fanatics) but it made the bike look way too much like an Electra cruiser bike to me...