PDA

View Full Version : Need Help (200X) Problems

R-N-D
09-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Ok, I'll try and put this into words the best I can. This is for a friend of mine with some troubles that he is having with his 200x. It seems as if he is having trouble keeping his trike running after he starts it. It seems to start up just fine but when he gives it some gas, it begins to putter and bog down quite a bit. Enough that he cannot keep it running. If he keeps the throttle wide open just after starting, it seems to stay running but obvioulsy this is not something that he can keep doing. As soon as he lets up on the throttle, the trike wants to die out. Again, when he tries to give it some gas, puttering and bogging begin to happen and eventually, it dies out.

He also had a hole on the side of his muffler and thought that this may be the issue. However, he mended the hole and is still having the same problem. Someone told him that he would need a new muffler and this would solve his problem but he is quite hesitiant to do so. I too second this thought in that it has to stem from somewhere else. Point being, we are looking for some answers and suggestions as to what the problem can be. Also, is there a common problem with these trikes that we may not know about? He recently purchased this trike and does not have much history on it.

If possible, could you recommend or suggest any and all possibilities as to what the problem could be? This would be greatly appreciated. I figured that this would be the 1st place to turn to in that I would receive the best answers possible from those who know best. Again, we appreciate any responses, recommendations, or answers that you can provide. Thanks.

300rman
09-07-2008, 03:05 AM
try a new spark plug.

Sounds like the carb has something plugging it.

remove the carb, clean it thoroughly using carb cleaner and compressed air.
if the seals/orings in the carb appear to be worn, get a rebuild kit for the carb.

doubt its a valve issue, as valve issues wouldnt create the problem you are describing.

maybe electrical issues. make sure all connectors are not corroded, are clean and dry. dielectric grease in the connections wouldnt hurt anything.
maybe the coil is going out, or possibly the stator, or the flywheel magnet is loose.

check the stuff on this list, going from the top down. but i am betting its a plugged jet in the carb.