PDA

View Full Version : Which ATv for my 8 yr old son to race

86trizinger
09-14-2008, 12:54 PM
My son is almost 8 years old..and has been riding the Tri zinger 60 and 90 ATV 6 months now.. HE is starting to ride pretty good and I am ready to start teaching him how to race a little but clueless on what atv to get him. ... I am looking to buy an ATV that he can race... Please let me know what you have or any suggestions you may have. New or used at this point may work..

Thanks
Chris

cody2
09-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Did you check out the bombardier ds90x? I heard they were a little bit slow, but they come with piggyback shocks, race tires, and a host of other features, plus theres quite a few hop up parts for them on the internet. 8 is a little young for a blaster but if hes a big kid that woudlnt be a terrible choice depending on his skills, however he woudlnt be able to race it at age 8 i doubt.

86trizinger
09-14-2008, 04:15 PM
The blaster is a bit large for him and he will not be able to race a 200cc atv.. MOst likely would have to be a 50-90 cc.. I have heard the DDR 90 or 50 is pretty good as well.. Its front is 40 in wide.

Yamada
09-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Why not a TRX 90??

86trizinger
09-14-2008, 07:06 PM
I was looking at them just now on the Honda website... There are so many bikes out there now it hard to narrow it down..

The local deall has a NEW 2008 Yamaha Predator 90 for $2000... My limit for right now is about $2000 maybe willing to go to 2500 for right now so it would be perfect o find alittle old race ATV I can fix with him.. You dont see many race youth ATV's up for sale around here. I was thinking of going with a DRR 70 because of few peopel that race with them..

cody2
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I would go with the suzuki lt 90, there 2 stroke they will go faster then a 4 stroke of same cc

86trizinger
09-14-2008, 10:30 PM
If I go up to a 2 stroke it will be for a DRR race prepped bike.. WIll cost me about 3000 but the suzuki or no other stock bike is gonna touch it on the track... I just prefer 4 stroke.. Around my house my son is confined to how fast he can go.. The 4 stroke 90 he has right has enough power and speed but lacks any real suspension.

86trizinger
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I was just looking,,, maybe the Lt80 may work for me.. they make some racing parts for them.

okieRrider
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
my son raced a lt80 for 2 season and they can be built to hang with the best of them. but will cost $$$. If you wanted to stay with a 4 stroke look at the extreme bikes. They look killer have way better suspension than the lt80 and all the trick pit bike engines mods will work on them. They have a 90cc model and a 125c model. Just remember if you are wanting to race it is gonna cost $$$ right up front to have a decent, safe bike. Good luck and remember to post some pics up once he's ridin, Chris

The Goat
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I saw a 90 not that long ago with a built engine and aftermarket 300ex a-arms and such on ebay.

Looked quite capable.

SYKO
09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
personaly dont put him on anything automatic, thats the most worthless thing in my OP, my daughter started on a eton viper 40 when she was 3 1/2 at 5 I got her a trx 70 now shes almost 9, she knows how to shift well and make full use of the gear box.... but Im at a delima as well I want to upgrade her for her 9th birthday... and it seems all the options are automatics.... Im looking at the extreme 125 as well, it seems one of the best out there right now.. but she will outgrow that in about 2 years! So im thinking some sort of 250 machine (trx, suzuki) shes allready tall enough to be on one and reach the controles fine.. so I may get on of those and detune it a bit for her.... shop around, but please dont stick your kid on a auto.

KASEY
09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
i would go with something like this,,,,, the reason ? suspension is already done,,, and its way more important that power for kids,,,
http://www.nwmotowinner.com/images/Xtreme_quads.jpg

SYKO
09-15-2008, 08:09 PM
i would go with something like this,,,,, the reason ? suspension is already done,,, and its way more important that power for kids,,,
http://www.nwmotowinner.com/images/Xtreme_quads.jpg

thats the extreme typhoon or a copy of it... hell even the copies are baddass, there is a place near me that sells that same atv for 950 I may have to check it out again before I make my final decision..

86trizinger
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
WOW that is perfect for what I need for now..

Im guessing i should stick with a 70 or 90 though due to my sons age for racing.. I think he is suppossed to be limited to a 70 cc.. Anyone know the exact rules on that.

Now to find the best price one.

cody2
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
You get what you pay for, im still leaning for the bombardier ds 90x package, its automatic but theres quite a few hop up parts once your son gets better and wants something faster, dont go with a $950 typhoon, there Chinese arnt they?

86trizinger
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
No I was going with the real typhoon..Made in Illinois I think. found one for 1600.. talked to a few shops and there kids have raced them before and not really a ton of problems with them/

okieRrider
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
ask about the 4th gear mod..if they can do it there i would have them do it as the only real problem i have heard of is that can get stuck after 3rd gear if they are abused

devilman
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
check this out. will it hold up???? definitly different

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/843570194.html

86trizinger
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I left a message for them.. I am waiting to hear back from them.. that was one thing I want done before i take it home..

86trizinger
09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
I talked to the shop... The actually recommend the DRR 90 for my son... He said the Xtreme Typhoon is a very strong engine.. but the rest of the bike has the issues and would require fabrication on it.. The fabrication isnt a big conern for me .. I'm more concerned will an extra $1000 make a difference right out of the box enough to justify it. I dont even know if he will notice a difference to be honest.. he loves riding his chinese ATV everyday for hours on end but it is a big limiting factor for him.

The Goat
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't know why people are so quick to say the chinese engines are crap...yeah they might not last 20 years...but they'll definitely last five. anybody who has pounded on the engines can tell you that they are a quality product.

would I buy a 500 dollar eton...no. I'd either buy an honda 70 or an old badger 80. Bulletproof bikes.

okieRrider
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I talked to the shop... The actually recommend the DRR 90 for my son... He said the Xtreme Typhoon is a very strong engine.. but the rest of the bike has the issues and would require fabrication on it.. The fabrication isnt a big conern for me .. I'm more concerned will an extra $1000 make a difference right out of the box enough to justify it. I dont even know if he will notice a difference to be honest.. he loves riding his chinese ATV everyday for hours on end but it is a big limiting factor for him.

Check out the forums at www.exriders.com. They have a mini forum over there that will probably answer any questions you have on any of the mini's available. Have fun, Chris

86trizinger
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks there is alot of info there.. no one seems to say not get the Xtreme.. but they definietely recommend the DRR over the Xtreme.. Thay say you can start to race the DRR right out of the box starting out...

I agree about the Chinese ATV's. The one my son has is about 5 years old.. Other then then casecover cracking near the starter from the previous owner who was 250 lbs was jumping ; ours runs great never had to do anything more then charge the battery.. So I'm not complaining since I got it for less then a $100 and I learned that both of boys like riding them before I invested of ton of money on them. A friend of mine bought his kids $7000 in ATv's and they ride them maybe twice a month if they are lucky.. I have the chinese one and the Yamaha yt60 and they both runs great... kids ride them everyday for hours on end.. Its just time for more to move the oldest one up to teh next level.

SYKO
09-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Well the DDR are more race ready for sure... but im not sure if they work well for constant riding around putting around etc etc... everyone of those Ive seen they have to be rippin on them all the time... how about a smaller motor in a blaster chasis? Ive thought about that for my daughter as well.

86trizinger
09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I ve sat my son on a blaster chassis.. he just reaches the shifter. He probably could ride it but it may be a handful.

That was my big questions about the DRR .. since it is a 2 stroke most of the ones I have seen are on the track..
We just have a small track in my yard we are starting to build so he doesnt go all out all of the time. But at the same time he wants to jump... If the DRR hada 4 stroke I would get it right away...and most new bikes from the BIG 4 need qquite a bit of suspension work to jump or race. so this is where I'm stuck...

SWIGIN
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
think of his knees...... motor means nothing at this point

cody2
09-19-2008, 03:14 PM
A blaster isnt that powerfull, stock form it wont scare him likely. I would think you would be better off buying a race ready bike then a Chinese one anyways, i just dont trust them, plus i wouldn't want to start jumping one of those

86trizinger
09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
I have talked to Hetrick Racing and several people that race the DRR and they have no issues with reliability or anything at all stock.. Can get up and race on a stock bike. So it looks like I am going to go with the DRX90 for my 8 yr old. And I am planning on getting a LT80 to build for my 5 yr old.

TimSr
09-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Im sorry, but I have yet to see an 8 year old who is anywhere near big enough to properly FIT a Blaster and safely handle its weight, especially in a roll or flip situation, let alone safely RACE one!!!

What youll find is that the Taiwan made 2 stroke quads have ruled mini MX for several years, and most use mostly the same parts interchangeably. The TRX90s have done well too, but are much less dominent. The LT80's were pretty much obsoleted shortly after the Taiwan quads started showing up around 99-2000.

Hetrick Racing is probably one of the top mini racing staff of experts in the nation. Take their advice!

BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING, you have one more step to take into consideration. Check with the track or racing organization that you plan to be racing at/in for the classes and equipment rules!!!! Most places have either two or three different mini quad classes. The DRX90 may very well put them in a more advanced mini quad class with older kids. You may or may not want this. Its depends on track or sanction rules. The Taiwan 2 stroke 70's may be a better option to run with kids his own age and experience range, depending on classes. Also most of these are easily converted from 50,70 to 90's with a top end, and use the same chassis, when they are ready to advance.
The LT80 could be a bad choice for fitting into a class. They are very borderline on which class to run, again depending on organization, as far as displacement. You could end up with the smallest displacement in a larger displacement class. They are also poor performers compared to the Taiwain quads. The motor can be easily beefed up for HP, but youll find that the rest of the motor doesnt handle it well, and you are in for clutch, CVT, and other issues. The staggered a-arms and poor suspension upgrade choices are also far inferior to whats available for the Taiwan models. If you get the 50 or 70cc version of the Taiwan 90, youll find that most of the parts interchange between it and the smaller displacement Taiwan models. The Taiwan quads are actually a lot better equipped to handle a major boost in motor HP. The clutch and CVT system is a lot more heavy duty, and the stock carb is a lot bigger.

I would advise going to the track you want to race at, and check the rules, classes, and see what people are racing. Spectate! Its also a great place to find deals on used race ready quads kids have outgrown. Stock mini quads are not remotely competitive unless they have a stock/beginner class, so most race track mini quads already have tons of money thrown into them, which does little to raise its value, which means lots of money you can save on somebody elses prior expendatures.

86trizinger
09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info.. They have a local class for the 90cc but I think you are right about being for more advanced riders.. I was recommended the 90cc because of his size.. He's almost 80 lbs and I would prefer not for him to grow out of it.. BUt it does make sense to go with the 70 for right now and keep him in more of a beginner class.

As for the LT80 this was going to be for just around the yard for my youngest sun to learn on.. he is extremely small for his age at 5 and I was planning on just riding it with him until he can move up to a bigger bike.. Its hard to spend over 2000 on a bike that he is unable to ride just yet.

86trizinger
09-20-2008, 03:18 PM
just picked up a 2003 TRX 90 for $400.. just needs tires and handle bars.. Looking for some upgrade parts now though any suggestions? I am not worried about being the fastest ATV out there just something to practice with till spring.