PDA

View Full Version : MORE ebay hassle shipping during listings

Orangecnty250r
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Well I just went to list a few things on ebay and let me tell you what a freakin hassle, Ebay is NOW requiring that services for shipping are chosen and exact costs given at the time of auction....I always listed a price in my auction...so easy for me.......well now after 15 minutes of trying to estimate costs ON ONE ITEM to overseas buyers and multiple services required my listing keep getting defaulted to fill in more fields...want the weight and size of boxes to get estimates.....hell I dont box something until it gets sold!!! I am taking a week off from ebay!!!!:mad: :mad:

Blown 331
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I've always just guessed and I'm usually really close. Last week I sold a set for Works shocks for a 400EX. I just select other for the shipper then use whatever is easist for me at the time and I just guess the shipping costs. I put in $15 shipping on the shocks and it turned out to be $16 so I lost a dollar. That was with UPS, If I had used the post office I'm sure it would have been less.

rdlsz24
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I've been using the calculator based on the buyer's zip code lately and it's usually dead nuts on. For USPS, unless it's a big package, all that matters for cost is weight and zip code.

Rob

chris200x
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I really dont see what the big deal is. I've always just used a bathroom scale to wiegh each item. It's a no brainer guessing the size of a box and potential buyers like to know what the shipping will be before bidding.

If your worried about losing a few bucks.. just add a few to the shipping for handling charges.

It's been a while since I bought or sold anything on ebay so I may be way off base here. I know they've made alot of changes lately.

mike from long island
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I myself ussually would make a guess.Based on past sales and looking up shipping cost of simalar items.It was ht or miss for me.I made a buck or lost a buck.On shipping I didnt care.A lot of times I paid for the tracking #.But I didnt care.A tracking # saves me all headaches.I can prove I sent the item.

But anyways.I will have to see whats going on.I planned to list some nice parts this weekend.But if what OC is saying,I might have to research the shipping quote calculator.

Again the seller takes it in the tail-pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesnt EBAY realize.Sellers is what makes them MONEY? Are they that stupid to see,If the screw the seller and we leave. Well where is there huge profit going to come from????????????

Did the government take over ebay?That would explain everything! :w00t:

nd4speed
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the point of all this is ebay does not make any money on jacked up shipping costs. I jack up the shipping cost to recover ebay and paypal fees. Ebay warnings and flags pop up when they think you are jacking up the shipping and after so many I am sure they investigate.

If you sold everything for a $1 and just added the rest of your reserve to the shipping then eBay gets screwed. And one of the largest businesses in the world and the governments that back them won't stand for that.

I like ebay's TV propaganda. Seems to me they are buying air time and filling it with "take ebay classes" and "you could work from home and become a millionaire".

Dirtcrasher
09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I recently had a 3WW member give me a great deal for some parts. I sent him a little extra because I'm well aware of the time it takes to package and get down to the post office.

As buyers, we expect our stuff to be shipped out within a couple of days and that isn't always practical.... I've waited 20 minutes at the friggin PO......

Shipping is outrageous and I don't know whats gonna change that. I can't get an item less than 1lb shipped to me for less than 6$. And everything else seems to start at about 12$ and up. It's a bad situation for all of us. We buy something we need/want for 25$ and it's another 12$ to ship and then it arrives on our doorstep not being in the condition we felt it would based on pictures and or descriptions. If you want to return that 25$ item, you lost 12$ shipping to you and another 12$ back....

I'd say shipping has nearly doubled in the past 5 years, but were buying the same JUNK!

200x Basket
09-20-2008, 06:06 AM
i have about quit ebay and i used to love it.

Blown 331
11-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I have my own little ebay rant and didn't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just use this one. lol. This are from the same week, just happened!
I needed some main jets for my 250R. I found a guy on ebay selling a 5 pack of brand new Kehin brand jets in the sizes I needed. Well when I got them there was only one in the box! The seller appolgized and sent the rest no problem. I just got them yesterday but would have liked them last week when the single jet came.
Then I order a clutch for my 200X and that came yesterday as well but instead of a clutch I got a fuel petcock. WTF. I just emailed them and haven't heard back.
Doesnt seem like either is a huge deal other than waiting longer for my parts than I want to or should have.

mike from long island
11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I am glad you posted here,Because I just had 3 more bad dealings.

First.Gas tank for a 110.No rust inside.Covered in rust!!!

Second.I won a skat trak smooth front tire that will fit my tri-z rim.Came the other day.No mention of the dry rotting cracks!!! Explains to me.Well you only paid $9.99 SO WHAT!!!! I still had to pay another $22 for shipping and I have a shot tire that I have to pay to get rid of now!!!.

And third which the seller said to send them back.Was a nice set of NOS decals for the later atc90.Stated unopen and good.Well tha package is open and the decals are peeling off the backing part.

Three bad dealings in one week!!! I dont know what to do anymore. I am going to start asking a million questions from now on I guess.

O and I won a NOS tri-z switch.Had to pay $18+ for shipping.I asked for a better shipping quote.Stated $13.37 for UPS.Plus a $5 dollar handling fee!!! For a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NINJA
11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh, it's only gonna get worse gentlemen, with more and more broke people selling their shtuff on ebay! People are getting more desperate to make money and then their morals and ethics start to decline.

mike from long island
11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh, it's only gonna get worse gentlemen, with more and more broke people selling their shtuff on ebay! People are getting more desperate to make money and then their morals and ethics start to decline.

You may have hit the nail directly on the head!!!!!!

88 Turbo Coupe
11-22-2008, 08:42 PM

NOoo.... Do you think people would really do that?

nd4speed
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I ran in to a problem with auction shipping on the listing page too. I usually state a flat fee. When I selected this option I could not continue cause it wanted me to fill out the other shipping options. I tried that and that would not take either. I had to back up and start over then it let me specify "flat rate, other, see description".

I sent out an axle and it has not arrived yet even though it should have. I didn't insure it ($40) and the confirmation says nothing. I think it got lost. This would be the first though. USPS.gov.

KASEY
11-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I AM USING EBAY ALOT LESS THESE DAYS TOO,,, its not because of lack of money ,,, its tireds of the crap involved anymore.. all the stories i just read in this thread i can relate to,,, 2 bright spots,,, i bought a "BOOST BOTTLE " SOMETHING BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD LOOK KOOL ,,, NO other reason,,, $20 shipped on buy it now,, kool,,, when it got hete it was PVC pipe caps and a couples glued together and painted with fittings and a cool decal,,, about $1 worth of fittings at home depot!! so i emailed the seller and told him "wow you got me on this one" i am going to put it on my wall of shame from ebay,,, he refunded me $21 that very day and said to just throw it away if i was unhappy!!!! wow there are a few good people ,,, the other was a kool front hub for a 250r quad,, the guy only had 1 and wanted way to much,, so i emailed him with a picture of the 70 and said i needed it for a trike project but was on a slim budget,,, so he listed it that night for me with a buy it now for $40 half of the original price,,,, so i have it now and man is it going to be kool!!! so there are a few birght spots,,,,

edog
11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I think ebay will slowy slit it's own throat.

I haven't even tryed to sell there in 5 months. It's out of control, unless your selling big ticket items.

oldtime3wheeler
11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I've sold a few small things here and there with no problems(thank god). Have'nt had a problem with any recent purchases either. I hear alot of horror stories and will probably stop using before I become one of them.