PDA

View Full Version : Vise Grip plant moving to China!

Blown 331
09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26531610/

Personally I think this sucks big time. I know I'm done buying them. Even if they say made is USA if you break it then it's getting replaced with a Chinese one. I guess I'm gonna go with the Craftsmen locking pliers. I don't like them as much as the USA Vise Grips but I'm sure they are better than Chinese Vise Grips. Horrible.

Tri-Z 250
09-19-2008, 01:40 PM
NAFTA, EPA, Workers Group Insurane Programs, Unions only interested in their own greed....a Goverment that wants to let it all slip away Democrates passed that crap!

83ATC185S
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
lame! i wont ever buy another vice grip.

Vealmonkey
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
That's as bad as Radio Flyer and Hersheys moving out of the USA.

SeaBass8
09-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Remember when our own government used to promote "Made in the USA"? What ever happened to that mantra? Snuffed out by corporate lobbiests no doubt.

Erics350x
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Federal Mogul did the same crap, my Dad lost a job of 26 years because the moved to Mexico. Now i won't be a damn thing made by them. Speed Pro and TRW are two of the brands that Fedral Mogul manufactures.

KASEY
09-19-2008, 08:15 PM
well i guess its pressure and competition,,, you see these union guys out there making $40 plus an hour with benifiets and retirement it costs the employer over double that,,, can you imagine their weekly payroll? hell some of them get more than a month of vacation too,,, so i guess if the company has to move to stay in business them move,,, escallating wages are killing america,,, do you really think anyone deserves a month of vacation? maybe at a reduced wage,,, :D

oh by the way..... we have over 500 pair of 11r c clamp vice grips maybe the price will come down,,,,,,

hinddee29
09-19-2008, 08:52 PM
well i guess its pressure and competition,,, you see these union guys out there making $40 plus an hour with benifiets and retirement it costs the employer over double that,,, can you imagine their weekly payroll? hell some of them get more than a month of vacation too,,, so i guess if the company has to move to stay in business them move,,, escallating wages are killing america,,, do you really think anyone deserves a month of vacation? maybe at a reduced wage,,, :D

oh by the way..... we have over 500 pair of 11r c clamp vice grips maybe the price will come down,,,,,,

Well I'm a Union Painter and 23.00 hr. is all we get. NO paid Vacation, Holidays,
ins. is the worst you can get. All construction trade are like this around here.

Do you think anyone really deserves a month vac. Yes I do every single service member should at least get that ,and more.

Your right we all should work for 7.00 an hr. and give all are jobs to Mexico.
It's funny our country is being taken over and we aren't doing a damn thing about.

KASEY
09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I AGREE ABOUT SERVICE PERSONAL ,,, the construction trade is a little different,,, they just don't have a strong enough union with political ties... the auto industry unions and the aircraft industry are typical examples,,, i am also in the construction industry, so i know where your coming from,,,, i see what management puts the shop guys through,,, and i am always battling for them,,, they are the backbone of our company,,, but just try to get a .75 raise past the white shirts ,,,, especially before they jump a jet for europe for a month!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Erics350x
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM

What union in what factory pays $40 plus an hour and where do i sign up.

The Goat
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
If i'm not mistaken, gm was paying more than that at one point...

200x Basket
09-20-2008, 12:18 AM
what kind of painter are you?

Erics350x
09-20-2008, 01:33 AM
If i'm not mistaken, gm was paying more than that at one point...

Ok, but Auto Manufactures are in a whole other ball park.

hublake
09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I have friends that work in whats left of the GM plants in Flint, MI and unless your in skilled trades the hourly rate is around $28 an hour. New hires under the current contract make less that $15 an hour and have less benefits.. At least this is what I have been told.

SeaBass8
09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
My uncle used to paint for NASA. After a shuttle launch they have to paint the launch pad and all the stuff around there. I think he made upwards to 35-40$ bucks an hour. But not many of those jobs around. I read that the elavator repair union guys make around 30$ an hour.

hinddee29
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
what kind of painter are you?

If your asking me. I'm a Commercial Union Painter. We paint anything Commercial.
Hospitals, Store, and so on.

Dirtcrasher
09-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Here in Mass, union people are paid well.

Sprinkler Journeymen are about 45$ an hour
Electricians Journeymen are about 36$ an hour
HVAC Journeymen (my trade and I went union last week) 37$ an hour.

My job is dangerous, involves other peoples lives and I have to do allot of math, stock, time cards, installation, physical labor and all of the control wiring. I get no vacation from the union, thats a seperate negotiation with my employer and 3 weeks is barely enough.

It's about M-F!#@$ time I got paid CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even laborers and painters make about 30$ an hour.

Honestly, who can live on less than 60K a year at this point? Maybe I could live on 40K and drive a crapbox, rent an apartment and ride a smoke spewing trike..... No money for anything but survival....

200x Basket
09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
If your asking me. I'm a Commercial Union Painter. We paint anything Commercial.
Hospitals, Store, and so on.

no offense meant but you get paid $23 an hour to do what any highschool drop out could do. that is the problem with unions.

i know everyone has to get paid but that is an uneducated labor task. not much more complicated then digging a ditch.

how do i know that? i used to have the same job, only we owned the comany. we painted hospitals, commercial buildings, plants, and some new construction. i could hire 3 guys for the same wage you make and they most likely painted harder. their job depended on it.

carscomefirst
09-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Honestly, who can live on less than 60K a year at this point? Maybe I could live on 40K and drive a crapbox, rent an apartment and ride a smoke spewing trike..... No money for anything but survival....

MY wife and I combined make about 46k. We live just fine thank you.
I bought and Own my house. Bought my truck new, Bought my wife's GTP Comp G new, bought my Honda Shadow new, built several toys(strip/strip and circle track race only), and my 87 125 Doesn't smoke.(although it was free) My 84 won't smoke when I'm done with it.
It's all just a matter of living within your means. Really, who NEEDS a $250,000 house.
If your job doesn't pay enough to live off of, improve your employment or move to an area with a lower cost of living.
To be fair, I don't any kids. I'm too selfish.

Twilight
09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Dirtcrasher I make less than 20.00 an hour and do just fine by myself. Have always been able to do projects, loan out money and buy what I wanted... well except a plane, haha

ChrisD
09-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Actually guys, it's all about where you live. 100K in southern California or the NYC area is nothing. A 250k "house" is not much of a house. So I wouldn't be too judgemental of each other. Taxes alone on our 1/3 acre property outside NYC is $8000 per year, so I can feel for the guys that think that 60K is barely getting by. It's nothing special but danm expensive to live in.

KASEY
09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
It's all just a matter of living within your means. Really, who NEEDS a $250,000 house.

dude don't move to phoenix!! lol all you will get is a dirt hut for $250,000

welcome to phoenix,on our tour we will see a newly constructed luxury home.we use only the finest materials in this fine home . we are happy to have this listing for only $313,900 we were excited to find out that the front door is a authuentic Van swartz #231001 /350000 fantastic. it won't last long at this price!!!
http://cuip.net/~smgolden/shelters/mudcoveredhogan.JPG

carscomefirst
09-20-2008, 07:16 PM

welcome to phoenix,on our tour we will see a newly constructed luxury home.we use only the finest materials in this fine home . we are happy to have this listing for only $313,900 we were excited to find out that the front door is a authuentic Van swartz #231001 /350000 fantastic. it won't last long at this price!!!
http://cuip.net/~smgolden/shelters/mudcoveredhogan.JPG

Just look at all that room to ride & no apparent utilities to worry about. A steal at twice the price:beer

Dammit!
09-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Are you kidding? You can get a palace for $250k in Phoenix right now.

Howdy
09-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Everything depends on where you live. 60k here is a good job to have, but they are few and far between. I don't make that much, in fact I don't take home even 1/2 of that. The way to survive is to "Live within your means". Try it and you will see it works.

Back to the subject though. It's a shame that America is losing another company to China.
Howdy

Yamada
09-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Stock all the built in USA vise-grip you can before they start to be made in china. I think I`m gonna buy half a dozen.

hinddee29
09-21-2008, 09:12 AM
no offense meant but you get paid $23 an hour to do what any highschool drop out could do. that is the problem with unions.

i know everyone has to get paid but that is an uneducated labor task. not much more complicated then digging a ditch.

how do i know that? i used to have the same job, only we owned the comany. we painted hospitals, commercial buildings, plants, and some new construction. i could hire 3 guys for the same wage you make and they most likely painted harder. their job depended on it.

Not sure what your point is. Sounds like your compairing me to a high school dropout.
I know first hand you just can't come into the job and cut, roll ,and spray. It takes time to learn to do it right and fast. Who you trying to kid? You sound just like my boss thinks going non union he is still going to make a million or so a year. I wish him luck. It's all of us that makes his money, but we get the same treatment you gave your guys. Your just a piece of crap and your so stupid you can't do anything else, but paint.
Could your high school dropouts as you say woodgrain, apply marble like finishes, spray special textures finishes and paint with no training???
I'll agree with you it's not rock science, but it take training to be good and not just anyone can do it. If it was so easy why aren't you doing it anymore? You should be rolling inall kinds of cash. Your way of thinking along with others like you is why we are lossing our jobs. My point was I am Union and I don't make 40.00 an hour. Union or not every single american should be able to make enough to have a good car and a house and support there fam. Giving all the jobs to over seas and mexico in a few years most of the country will be living in a box if they are lucky.

firehart
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
You know the old saying "You get what you pay for"? That's what's happening to our quality and customer service.

200x Basket
09-21-2008, 12:20 PM
the point is you are union and making atleast $10 and hour more then you should be. that is why companies are moving away and costing our economy.

our best painter was a burn out on parole. he could sure paint though.

we disolved the company after a divorce and i found a better path to take. i jsut textured my walls and ceiling last week. i will be painting this week with my high school educated (barely) brother in law.

Dirtcrasher
09-21-2008, 01:33 PM
the point is you are union and making atleast $10 and hour more then you should be. that is why companies are moving away and costing our economy.

we disolved the company after a divorce and i found a better path to take. i jsut textured my walls and ceiling last week. i will be painting this week with my high school educated (barely) brother in law.

Being a little hard on the guy aren't ya?

23$ an hour isn't very much money anymore. I work on commercial jobsites every day and the painters have to move FAST and if their work isn't top notch for Victoria Secrets, The Gap and Old Navy - they end up on the punch list and have to do it over again.

The only painter that should make 13$ an hour is one doing it under the table for private residences. IMO, most people can't paint to save there life..... No it's not overly difficult or physical but I don't think it's a mindless meaningless job either.

I can't even get guys to show up on time, every day and not spend most of there day on the cell phone or smoking butts - for 18$ an hour.... If I expect them to "THINK" they tell me they don't make enough money to give a chit!!

The jobs are going overseas because many Americans are LAZY. They take time off and don't give a hoot about anything - no responsibility. Many of us are spoiled! We want the raise BEFORE were willing to extend the effort. Heaven forbid someone step it up and prove themselves before there rewarded.... If they want to man up and put some effort into their job, then they do deserve to be paid correctly. And by correctly, I mean able to live without struggling and maybe afford a vacation once a year.

The restaurant I just completed was framed and finished by Salvadorians... They showed up everyday, on time and worked for 8$ an hour and Mcdonalds. This is all just the tip of the iceberg, if people don't smarten up, all of our jobs will be performed by foreigners. And WE let them all into our country didn't we??

hinddee29
09-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks for proving my point. It must be hard to be the only one with brains around you.

firehart
09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I a union member doing the same job for 30 years. The non-union employees working for the same company doing the same job get paid more and have better benifits. You can't tell me that the company is not trying to bust up the union.