PDA

View Full Version : Hey Canadians, I have some questions, eh.

LonesomeTriZ
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
When I leave here I want to get into some seasonal work in the North West Territory and in order to be eligible I have to be legally able to work in Canada. Most of the companies I looked at stated they only hire Northerners, but a few said they will also consider non Canadian residents who are legally able to work in Canada. I have been able to find very little on this subject, can any of you help me figure out what I need to do?

SYKO
09-24-2008, 10:13 AM
make sure you bring me back some bacon when you go up there.

LonesomeTriZ
09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I'll see what I can do.

SPD FRK
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/labour-standards.asp

If your a skilled trade of any kind, come to Calgary and write your own ticket.

LonesomeTriZ
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks man. That is a big help. What kind of work is in Calgary?

mike from long island
09-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Those dang Canuck!!!!!!! Here in AMERICA.All you have to do is speak Spanish and your HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LonesomeTriZ
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
That is why I must find a job in Cananda.

Yamada
09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
http://travailleraucanada.gc.ca/welcome.do?lang=en

Hope this help.

hublake
09-24-2008, 01:06 PM
That is why I must find a job in Cananda.

I would first learn to spell Canada!!!

timex69
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
The NWT and Alberta is where its at in Canada. In Alberta /saskatchewan and the north west territories there is a huge labour shortage. Getting a work visa shouldnt be too hard. I know when there was a trucker shortage in alberta they brought in alot of australians so if they need you bad enough they can get your paperwork pushed through in a hurry.

What trade are you going to work at in the NWT. The oil and gas industry or the mining industry. Or did it just seem like a nice climate to visit.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks Yamad, that does help.

Hey now, I spelled it correctly once, that is all I have to do.

The climate would be nice after being over here. But, the ice road is what has my attention. There are several jobs out there I more than qualify for and I would like to get into at least one of them.

hublake
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Get a job as an Ice Road Trucker. I watch that alot.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I was a truck driver over here, so I would have no trouble with that. I would be willing to do it, but I had another job in mind.

Kintore
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Everyones right, out west there is a HUGE push for trades/skilled labour. Right outa college there is literally people waiting for you when you walk out the doors asking if you want a job.

You make TONS of money, but it also costs an arm and a leg to live there. Trick is to live like a hobo and work like a dutchman and save all ya can and go back "home".

I think the local mcdonalds worker makes something like 16-17$/hr but it costs SO much for food/rent/living that it all equals out.

IF you want a job, thats the place to head. Once I get my millwright ticket outa college im thinking about it. Going to live in the back of my toyota 4runner for 2 years!

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I live like that over here. I keep the bare minimum. I only want winter work though, so I dout I will have to worry about rent.

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm in Nunavut right now working. Snow in September...effin ell!! Going back home in 13 days with close to 20k made in 3 months.

What job did you have in mind Lonesome?

LonesomeTriZ
09-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, I figure with my experience driving trucks over here then switching to security and force protection I could get hired either driving a truck or preferably working security for the ice road with secure check. I have a lot of experience with dealing the Theater Transportation mission (TTM) over here along my two degrees in criminology. I do not know if I laid out my intentions clearly, but that is a general idea.

LonesomeTriZ
09-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm in Nunavut right now working. Snow in September...effin ell!! Going back home in 13 days with close to 20k made in 3 months.

What job did you have in mind Lonesome?

I forgot to ask, what is it you do out there?

timex69
09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
lonesometriz, here is a list of people I have applied for as a water truck/vac truck driver in Alberta. they're all looking especially if you dont mind signing a contract saying youll stay untill thaw out.

Badger
Eveready
tri mac energy
gangster enterprises
Wellco
JB waterhauling + vac services

BigGreenMachine
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey cool, giv'r! Not sure if I'm coming back to the North. If I do it'll be with a better company then I'm with now.

I'm doing different jobs as a Heavy Equipment Operator, that is my trade.

erectordale
09-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Lonesome if you want you can call my wife is 100% CANUCK lol she says she can help steer you where you need too get too

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks, you all. I am going to need all the help I can get.

I have no worries with sighning a contract. I signed one over here, and I am staying way longer than I agreed to originaly.

Thanks, Dale. I will have to give you all a hollor when I am home on R&R.

Yamahauler
09-27-2008, 03:33 PM
things in alberta have been slowing down, the boom seems to be heading east, right now small southeastern saskatchewan towns have houses going for big city prices, and the same is starting to happen in manitoba. I know the price of my house has doubled since i bought it, and i am holding out til spring to sell.
If you go to the NWT, make sure you dont forget your touque.

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I was wondering if I would end up liking it enought out there to just up and move for good.

BigGreenMachine
09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Depends where you go i guess. Steer clear of Baker Lake. LOL

Oh and get use to paying rediculas prices for common items. Say 10.99 for a box of cereal...or $30 for a 12 pack of pop.

honda_atc200es
09-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Depends where you go i guess. Steer clear of Baker Lake. LOL

Oh and get use to paying rediculas prices for common items. Say 10.99 for a box of cereal...or $30 for a 12 pack of pop.

in Usd or Canadian?

BigGreenMachine
09-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Canadian prices. $220 for a pair of insulated Dickies brand coveralls. LOL

LonesomeTriZ
09-29-2008, 02:10 AM
I think it would be cheaper to have the stuff I need shipped to me. I forgot about the cost of living up there.

peco250sx
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
someone in my family lived up north. you have most of your food and supplies shipped up some places pay your accomidations and isolation pay. and one bit of info about ice road truckers you have to drive with your door open cause trucks often go through the ice so buy a warm jacket!

LonesomeTriZ
10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what it is like to drive on a dangerous road.

Does your family member have any body's contact information that may help me with this?

Brockey
10-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Well I am here in the heart of it all. Fort Mcmurray, Alberta. The work is easy to find. I have friends here operating heavy haulers, bull dozers, loaders etc with no experience. I am a heat tech. and started with no experience. There are loads of jobs here that will train u on site. And be prepared to pay extreme prices for living unless u go on camp and then its all paid for.
That being said, Rent $3000 to $4400 a month nothing inlcuded usually. A trailer home in a trailer park can run u over $400,000. 1/2, 3/4 to 1 million for a house.
But dont worry about prices of food, and stuff. People think its more expensive here for that stuff. Not really. I live in Newfoundland and shop at Wal-Mart alot.
Wal-mart here has the same prices usually on everything. Same as beer and cigarettes I find are cheaper here. McDonalds,Burger King all that stuff is generally the same. So what if a meal or item is 50 cents more when u are making double to triple your regular pay.
Trucks can be bought extemely cheap here for a used few year old truck. But all u want to do is start looking at the Big boys. Yes granted I work for a smaller company, as well as many but u wanna get into the refineries. They have mines that need workers all the time driving heavy equipment and what not. Now Big outfits are:
Syncrude
CNRL
Long Lake
Albian Sands
Suncore
and many more.
Good luck with it man and there is tons and tons of work here. Yes the need construction is slowing down and now the plants are starting to come online. They need people to run these and whatnot.

Brockey
10-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Also if you rent or whatnot most companies pay u a LOA everyday for living expencises. Most are around $180 a day non taxable money that come on your check. If u have any questions I can look for an answer as almost everyone I knows works up this way.

LonesomeTriZ
10-08-2008, 03:08 AM
I am interested in seasonal work on the ice roads.

Okay, allow me to lay it out. I have to go back to school so I can get retrained in something. I might go to the fire academy or finish my masters degree, I am not sure. So, I was hoping to work seasonally up north. Being since our bills will be paid off when I leave Iraq, a season job up there would carry us though the year while I am in school.

Brockey
10-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Here is a little read up on it and the other link seems like a good spot to start looking for work.
http://www.iceroadtruckjobs.com/

http://www.thedieselgypsy.com/Canada_Trucking.htm

LonesomeTriZ
10-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks. Those are good links to get me started.

If I cannot get this job:
http://www.securecheck.nt.ca/

Driving a truck is my second option.

firehart
10-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds like a good place to open a grocery store.

LonesomeTriZ
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Or a whore house.

Just a thought...