PDA

View Full Version : Largest honda engine size with semi-auto clutch

Autophysn
09-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Ok, I am sure like many of all of us, we have been riding for years. For some, now it is our turn to play the Dad. So I ask this question with a heavy heart.

What is the largest production Honda engine produced that has a semi-auto/centrifugal clutch and preferably reverse?

Project, My son's Go kart. Has a cheapy Chinese engine with no low end. He has gotten to be a good little driver, so now it's time to give him some power.

I don't like the idea of killing a trike to get performance for a go kart, but it's spirit will live on.:( :rolleyes:

I am thinking maybe a 250sx

Any thoughts?

bad350
09-25-2008, 02:19 AM
yeah as far as 3 wheelers, a 250 big red or an sx but they are shaft drive not sure that any chain drive honda's have reverse

Autophysn
09-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Thanks, I did not know that. This is why I ask my fellow trike enthusiast:Bounce

Bigbore
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Just use a 185S engine. No reverse but has decent power and it's light weight. Oh, and they're cheap.

DeePa
09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
they also made 200s engine, no electric start though...id say look for a 200m engine, have it ported, get a cam, high comp piston and all that jazz...make it move a little bit

firehart
09-25-2008, 10:50 AM
You could always use a 110 with the two speed transfer case.

Vealmonkey
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Honda did make a cb400automatic, a cm400 automatic and they also made a cb750 automatic!!! I think they might have made a 500 automatic in the police trikes too, but I can't swear on that.

dogger
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
the 450 foreman and I think they got a 500 fourtrax with a auto clutchin them. personally build it like a shifter kart with a cr250r and he'll have all the power he will ever need.

Autophysn
09-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Hell Yeah!
I would love to get my hands on a CB motor.
But that will be later
Guess I should have elaborated a little
let me see if I can get these pictures up....

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/3db0uVOFRnfdCRo1Qzi82sj4MPLiJsbBsfU2v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l .jpg

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/3db0uVOFRnfdCRo1Qzi82sj4MK3-aFFbg4sTv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
My kid is only 8 but he takes after his dad, drives like he stole it;)

So you see how a CB anything would be way too much.
I actually purchased this Chinese 110

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/3db0uVOFRnfdCRo1Qzi82sj4MNeylPM0N3Isv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l .jpg

Thinking I could strip it down and use the engine, tires, etc to make it a kick ass little buggy. But these Chinese motors really suck.

Believe me, I have a nice 110 that runs great!

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/3db0uVOFRnfdCRo1Qzi82sj4MIBphBBBmbFvv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l .jpg

I would hate to tear this thing down, but don't think I haven"t given it a thought :twisted:

I would prefere to look for something else, But we play in the sand, so he will need plenty power to spin paddle tires.

You may ask, Why go through all the trouble, My kid loves his Batmobile, and My wife likes the roll cage.:crazy:

willrideanythin
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Check this out. I have a 110 just like that, Well kinda, LOL.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/0bonehead0
Use this engine.

Vealmonkey
09-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Those engines like that are based on the z50 and atc70 sized engine cases. The honda atc110 is slightly bigger and the bolt hole patterns are a little different. If you are a fabricating kind of guy, I would look into maybe a honda 185/200 series engine. I would also be looking into an oil cooler which would help with the engine life alot. You will have to be refabbing your engine mounts either way you go with the 110 series of engine or with the 185 series engine. You can always go with a honda 125 engine which will give you electric start. You should be able to find a mild cam for it and with some type of fabricated exhaust and a nice airfilter, you should be able to pick up some extra power.

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Nice! Appreciate the feedback, So my 110 engine mounts would be different?
Don't mind the fab work, but how different? Drastically, like total re-fab, or minor move this and that?

carscomefirst
10-03-2008, 11:31 PM
trx125 has eletri start and reverse. I think 84-86 is the same style as the 110 and 125m.

Autophysn
10-04-2008, 12:31 AM
haha, like the name, carscomefirst
Thank You for the info!

Vealmonkey
10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I think your weak point might be the cvt transmission. Between the low power of those engines and the cvt transmission, I can see why it would be underpowered. I don't know if you could find a better go kart clutch, like a comet or something else. The trx90 has the same size engine cases as the atc70/z50 but once again, they use 4 speed auto clutches. I think the problem is that the power range of those engines is pretty small and your are probably talking 5 hp maybe. You have to be losing alot of power with the type of slipper clutch.

Autophysn
10-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I agree, which is why you could see my misconception of the general Chinese products. Like I said, I stand corrected. But if Kasey can get that kind of power from a 70cc Lifan, then a 110cc with three forward gears and reverse should be a great replacement engine for this thing. My son loves it, refuses to ride the ATC, cause he could give his cousins rides on this. But we are restricted to just dirt for now.

I think I am going to take my chances on that Lifan. Kasey made an excellent impression on me, and the engine swapp could not be more direct. It would remove the CVT and give him reverse as well. I bought that little quad in hope the rear axle hubs would match up, and I could increase the tire size.
I only paid $350 for the quad, so worse come to worse, I should be able to sell it for atleast that.

I don't think the cable set up for the shifter would be a hard thing to do, all it would take is a push/pull, and small fabs for the attachment and adjusting. Overall very simple compared to a tear down of my 110 ATC to accomplish the end results of more power, but no electric start or reverse.

Don't worry Vealmonkey, no hard feelings, I am a big boy and can take critism, I am just embarressed, truly thought they all where the same. But that video Kasey put up proves me wrong, and really inspires a general feeling of hope to get my son a really nice toy to play with. Don't know if you have seen much of these little go karts, but they all are way under powered and really suck. But for the price, you really do get a bitchin' little frame and suspension. The engine mod is or looks like it would be worth it!

brapp
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
i had a kaseaadventure buggy bavk in 98 or 99 ir is and we stuffed a rm400 motor in it one day that wa sa snoty lil bugger

code200k
10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
my old honda trx 200sx has electric start reverse and was chain driven with semi auto tranny!just gotta put a case saver on em

peco250sx
10-25-2008, 03:16 PM
200m engines are just about bulletproof they have great speed and torque no reverse but ive never need it