PDA

View Full Version : Should I send home some late model LS engines?

LonesomeTriZ
10-01-2008, 05:08 AM
Okay upfront, I know very little about Chevy’s and even less about late model ones. However, I do know that LS engines are highly sought after. I have available to me several out of some 2005 2500 and 3500 HD’s. The automatic transmissions and T cases are also intact and still bolted to the engines. I have everything I need to pull them, palletize them and send them home. The only bad part is the shipping through DNL or FedEx. But other than that, there would be no cost to me. Now I ask, is it really worth it? I would need wiring harnesses and all kinds of other parts and details to make these engines work. Plus, I do not know what if anything is wrong with them. They are currently sitting in blown up and destroyed trucks. Some engines are complete and some are missing accessories and water pumps. I will take my camera with me next time and get some photographs so you all have a better idea. Well, what do you all think?

Oh, and by the way. I will be shipping them from Iraq.

SYKO
10-01-2008, 07:50 AM
are those the WMD's that we found over there? :wondering

fabiodriven
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I really can't see it being worth the price unless you were able to get them on a military plane. Have you priced out FED EX? I'm sure the cost is going to be insane.

LonesomeTriZ
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Not yet. I tried to get over there but I have been busy. I know it will be costly, but I do no tknow what they are worth. I am sure each one will cost north of $500.

LonesomeTriZ
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
are those the WMD's that we found over there? :wondering

Yes, those to.

J.D.
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
If they're from the 2500's and 3500's they're probably the 6.0 liter engine....hi-po guys like them because of the cast iron blocks...and they're stronger. The 3500's may have the 8.1 liter bigblock. I'm not really sure what the market is on them and what you could sell them for over here...

The Goat
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
just 500 bucks? shipping an atv engine and a set of fenders to alaska via fedex is nearly that much. I think it might be a little more.

wheelie king
10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Hate to say it, Lou, but it will cost more to ship back than selling it will fetch you over here. Just my observation, but if you do nail down a price I'd be curious to know what it is. Prolly WAY expensive

LonesomeTriZ
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I am thinking they will be more costly than what they are actually worth. However, I know there are ways to ship them some what cheaply. If I can find out how some of the other guys have sent back heavy stuff for a few hundred, I might still do it. Are the 8.1's good power houses?

J.D.
10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
I reckon they're good for what they are, but my opinion if your gonna bother with an 8.1 might as well get a diesel....more power and better fuel mileage. THey have 340 horse @ 4200, and 455 lb-ft at 3200.

LonesomeTriZ
10-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I do prefer diesels. I am slowling converting my fleet over to them. I was thinking because they are free, it might be worth shipping. Now, I I had found some Dmax's they would already be on pallets.

I went to FedEx today but the guy could not speak english and I could not convert the wieght from pounds to KG's in my head. So, I will have to go back when there is some one I can communicate with.

By the wat, was 700LBS a good guess?

Dammit!
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I would think you'd be better off using a freight company. When I had a huge mixing console shipped here from Japan the company was Roadway I think.

LonesomeTriZ
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
FedEx is a freight company. Plus, them and DHL is all I have over here.

Dammit!
10-02-2008, 11:42 AM
My bad. Didn't know FedEx did freight.

LonesomeTriZ
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, they have moved some heavy stuff out of here before. The guy I tried to communicate with thought I was ready to ship and he was getting a forklift ready to go pick it up.

dizasterzrfun69
10-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I reckon they're good for what they are, but my opinion if your gonna bother with an 8.1 might as well get a diesel....more power and better fuel mileage. THey have 340 horse @ 4200, and 455 lb-ft at 3200.

if memory serves me correctly the 8.1 makes 300 HP at like 3100 RPM. i just installed A/C on one yesterday and it had the sticker right in front of me. It MIGHT have been a 6.6 but i think its the 8.1 im thinking of

tecat-z
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
LS series engines are the engine of choice for just about everything now. All have aluminum heads, but yes, most trucks have iron blocks. Some 5.3's have aluminum blocks however, like the SSR, select 1500 trucks and suv's, and cars like monte carlo, grand prix, and impala's. The 8.1 big block still utlize iron heads i believe, and are not LS architecture. They are based heavily off the original big block chevy's and power nearly all of the big offshore boats made today. LS engines now power most midsize V8 powered boats, modern sand cars, and are begining to take over in popularity over the original small block. Extremely rugged by design and effieient. In very small package. These engines all sport 6 bolt mains, where crank is carried high in block above skirts for virtually no crank drift. 5.7 versions from F cars and vettes are getting easier to source due to these cars begining to age, and do have aluminum blocks. 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, 7.1 versions, and maybe a few more Big inch production sizes that are reserved for Z06 use and select Cadillacs have been made. Make no mistake, these are the engines of todays performance and the forseable future. From everyday trucks, to ultra performance cars making over 600 hp. The LS engine is the Heartbeat of America, and beyond...

200x Basket
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
i can buy 6.0s for about $1300 all day long so base it off that. 5.3's and 4.8's go for $300-$600

The wiring harness, pcm's, coil packs, and l92 heads are small and go for some bucks.

LonesomeTriZ
10-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Tecat, that was very informative and well said.

That price base line will make things easier thanks.

dogger
10-03-2008, 08:34 AM
d max is more then that. gm dry weight is 1180 on it. btw the 6.0's are sought after but you have lq4 motor's and the guys pay the big prices for the lq9's( think escalade, denli, ss silverado) the motor's you have normal go for around a grand. the tranny's will be hard to sell as they are 4x4 from what you said and the only people looking for them are people that want to replace there blown tranny cheap.

dogger
10-03-2008, 08:37 AM
duramax has the claimed weigh of 1180lb by gm. the lq4 motors are what you have in you truck normaly bring about 1k and the trannies are 4x4 and not desirable. the lq9's are the 6.0's that are what most people will pay 2k 2.5k for. the lsx market though is faced pace right now and the motors desirable change quickly as gm keeps developing better motor's. right now the hot motor is the 6.2l l92 motor which can bring 6k or better.

LonesomeTriZ
10-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Then I take it sending them home is not worth it, right?