PDA

View Full Version : Severe Mold??????????

Erics350x
10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm about to by a couple acres in the country with a two story house on it. The owner went to jail a couple years ago and a water line busted upstairs flooding a room below. The house has just set since and the bedroom below that was flooded is comletely cover in mold. Can i just completely gut all the sheetrock and insulation, let it air out a week or so, and treat it myself so the mold doesn't return? I know some of you live in flood prone area's and might have some idea as to what im looking at here.

SYKO
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
servpro can come out and asses the damage, I had a mold problem here at the house after a toilet flodded and it coverd the floor UNDERNEATH the carpet in the hallway.. we didnt know about it and it molded up. My dad got sick and one day finaly I noticed the carpet was wet at the end of the hallway. I pulled it up to discover water and mold! They came out and helped me out instead of charging me an arm and a leg I pulled all the carpet up and poured bleach down for a week. after that it had to sit open and sry for over a year! now its covered and hardwood and the toilet is fixed, you can see for yourself when you come out.

LonesomeTriZ
10-07-2008, 09:08 AM
We have had mold hit two parts of our house thanks to the previous owners just covering up water damge. Depending on how bad it is and on your skill level you might be able to gut it and start over. The problem is whether or not it is in the frame work.

brapp
10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
i havebeen told do not use anythign water based or diluted with water straign amonia or straight bleach (do not mix them) but what alot of the flood reclaim people us eis extreme cold and a shop vac to get the sporres cleaned up then wash it down with leach to kill the bacteria and the spores that are created bu this crap. le tit have planty of light and plenty of free movign air to keep it dry i the best startl.

Dirtcrasher
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
In the past years people have been avoiding mold like the plague. Depending on how bad it got, you may want to pass up on this bargain.....

If you can isolate it, fine, but otherwise, I'd always be afraid for my family (or pets in my situation :D)

brapp
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
99.9 percent of molds can be isolated or completly removed so if you get it and are fairly handy and dont mind soem work do it up and jump on the bargin or talk them down even further on thier price.

DeePa
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd always be afraid for my family (or pets in my situation :D)

nanananananananannananana catmannnnnnnn

The Goat
10-07-2008, 07:41 PM
lol...and deepa strikes again.

I was going to say with some gutting, some bleach, and one helluva UV lamp...I don't see how mold could survive.

smokinwrench
10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
lol...and deepa strikes again.

I was going to say with some gutting, some bleach, and one helluva UV lamp...I don't see how mold could survive.

Bleach is the worst thing you can use on mold, the water you mix with it just makes the mold grow more. My wife just read up on mold because her great grandma is fighting with it.

The Goat
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
who said anything about mixing? check out your local home depot...I'm sure they have much more refined substances anyways.

brapp
10-08-2008, 12:56 AM
yes smokin wrench it was covered in my first post abotu not using water but straight bleach doesnt kill mold alone keep it dry and allow plenty of light and plenty of brethign room.

Erics350x
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't think i can pass this one up. It's a two story house that looks pretty good on the outside, just needs the outside painted, with 2 acres in the country for $20,000. I've been stuck living in apartments since i moved to Florida so the only time i get to ride is when we load up and drive somewhere. I've been in the constuction world since i was 16 so the rehab part i can handle. The mold just scares the crap outta me. How can i tell if its in the frame? I tore out some sheet rock and the stud's look fine, but that does amount to much.

hublake
10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't know much about this problem, but what I heard from people who have had a problem, it is a problem. I don't know how houses are insulated in Florida, but people I have talked to up here in Northern Michigan have had to remove all the insulation from walls and ceilings. Basically strip it down to just stud walls inside and start over. I think once you did that and treated the inside with something to kill the mold it might be ok.. Check your roof sheating on the inside, it could have mold also.

night4creeper
10-30-2008, 03:27 AM
I've seen people blast the studs and roof sheeting with powdered dry ice to get ride the mold.

factoryX
10-30-2008, 04:57 AM
actually that would work right there..

Macs
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Go to your local nursey and buy AXO (SP?). It is made to kill mold and fungus on plants. It works amazing. When my first house flooded it was about 3 weeks before we could get to it. The mold was on everything very thick. I used bleach but it just came back. Then the FEMA guy told me about AXO. I sprayed it on and the next day all evidence of it was gone.
here on the Texas coast every house has mold. It is just a normal thing. Everything stays wet so ever since then i have used the stuff and doused every house i have owned with the stuff.

johnny's X
10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I am in the process of gutting a house I just purchased to put my office in and there is some mold in the house. I have gutted all the wall and torn out the studs that had the mold on it and also the floor and some floor joyces. I am trying to put in all new lumber were the mold was. This place is on a crawl space so the floor gets moisture all year around. I hired a company to come in and spray exspanding foam insulation under the floors at the crawl space and all the walls and ceilings in the house. I think I have all the mold gone in the house. Mold can be a bad bad thing to be breathing in. And I dont need an Workers Comp claim for my secretary in the future.