PDA

View Full Version : yep... where DOOMED.... mad max world here we come!

SYKO
10-10-2008, 07:47 AM
LONDON - European stock markets slumped in early trading Friday following massive sell-offs on Wall Street and Asia as lending rates between banks continue to rise despite this week's efforts by central banks to break the logjam in credit markets.

At mid-morning London time, the FTSE 100 index of leading British shares was down 233.84, or 5.4 percent, at 4,079.96, having fallen below the 4,000 mark earlier for the first time in five years. Germany's DAX was 383.70, or 7.9 percent, at 4,503.30, and France's CAC-40 was 209.67, or 6.1 percent lower at 3,233.03.

In Vienna, the stock exchange has been suspended until midday after stocks tumbled 10 percent at the opening bell, and in Russia representatives of the MICEX and RTS exchanges said they suspended regular trading until further notice under orders from financial regulators.

This week's coordinated interest rate cuts by the world's central banks to thaw frozen credit markets and boost investor confidence have fallen flat as markets remain gripped by fears about the scale and depth of the likely global recession.

"Overall it's the fact that despite the huge fire-fighting efforts of central banks worldwide we still haven't seen any thawing of interbank lending that is going to be causing the most concern now," said Matt Buckland, a dealer at CMC Markets in London.

"Again the LIBOR (London Interbank Offered Rate) rate at midday will be closely watched to see if there's any signs of easing here and it's going to be this plus the next stages of government intervention..that will dominate," he added.

The latest woes in Europe came after the Dow Jones index in the U.S. closed 678.91 or, 7.3 percent lower, at 8,579.19, its first close below 9,000 in five years. The slide on the Dow was partly fueled by the decision of credit-rating agency Standard & Poor's to review its rating on General Motors Corp.

The Dow's seven-day decline of 20.9 percent is the largest since the seven-day plunge ending Oct. 26, 1987, when the Dow lost 23.8 percent. That sell-off included Black Monday, the Oct. 19, 1987 market crash that saw the Dow fall nearly 23 percent in a single day.

In Japan, the benchmark Nikkei 225 index in Japan 881.06 points, or 9.6 percent, to 8,276.43, its lowest closing level since May 2003. It was its biggest one-day percentage loss since the stock market crash of October 1987 and meant that the Nikkei lost nearly a quarter of its value during the week.

"Investors were gripped by fear," said Yutaka Miura, senior strategist at Shinko Securities in Tokyo.

Finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of Seven industrialized nations are due to meet later Friday in Washington to address the financial meltdown but analysts are skeptical that they can do anything to soothe concerns about the world economy. US President George W Bush is due to make an address to the American people later in the day.

"I don't know what they can do. The actions of governments and central banks have had no effects, they haven't freed up credit markets and not inspired confidence in stock markets," said David Jones, chief markets strategist at IG Index.

Few places escaped the deepening gloom. In Australia, where the S&P/ASX200 plummeted a record 8.3 percent, market watchers were calling it "Black Friday." Key indices in Hong Kong, Singapore, the Philippines and India were all down about 8 percent. South Korea's Kospi closed down 4.1 percent, while the Shanghai Composite Index posted a more moderate decline of 2.8 percent.

And in Indonesia, authorities suspended trading indefinitely on the Jakarta Stock Exchange after they had halted trading Wednesday after the index plunged more than 10 percent.

It's not just stocks that are taking a hammering. Oil prices continue to plummet and have fallen to a one-year low below $83 a barrel while currencies, especially the British pound have been sold heavily. The Japanese yen and gold remain in demand as safe-haven assets.

EVERYTHING FAIL!

sandpuppi101
10-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Syko,I think the way you put it as Doomed is a bit over the top ,but the economy and the way we knew it are long gone if you ask me,at least for awhile
.I have alot wrapped up in this Train Wreck we call Wall Street,and I ai'nt freaking out quite yet.I'd like to think that the market is weaning out the bad investment's.
Yesterday I heard an anylist on CNN say it the best,He refered our economy to the orginal Jaws movie.He compared our economy like this ,remember how the chief knew there was a killer shark in the water,and the mayor wanted people to go back in the water,but everybody was scared to go in ,because they knew that there could be a shark,but people went in anyway's,uneased they still went in,but people would have went back in the water if they had known the shark was blown up.IDK typing that sound's stupid when you read it but if ya think about it ,it does make sence.Everybody in the world is waiting to seee what the US is gonna do during these uneasy time's,but the economy is,nt gonna get any better till we know for sure the shark has been killed.Pretty much people are selling to try and cut there loses,and people are gonna keep selling ,until we feel at ease again..All I know is that huuuuge money is being lost everyday ,and until we gain some sort of confidence and start buying again it's gonna keep falling.And if you want to finance something in the near future ,I would'nt even bother if your credit score is below a 720 or something.Soon it will be a buyer's market,if we still have money left to buy stuff.This is where thing's get weaned out,and smart investors stand to make a mint .It's all about figuring out where the US economy actually stand's.Oh' these are my own comment's,AND I DO APPROVE THIS MESSAGE..

Louis Mielke
10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
gotta hit rock bottom before it'll even begin to look brighter. I'm all for it. Our (the country) way of life has been wasteful for way too long. It's time that life in general get straightened out for real. If its all gota fall apart before it gets fix then so be it. Trying to prop it up with plans and bilouts is just going to prolong the pain. Let it burn down, we'll rebuild once its over.

sandpuppi101
10-10-2008, 08:42 AM
I agree with ya on that Louis,let it hit rock bottom and we'll start over.Hopefully Joe 6 Pack, can invest when it's at the bottom,hopefully.

Mosh
10-10-2008, 08:56 AM
While it is bleak, it is FACT that the news is swaying everyones attitude and promoting fear in the economy.
I believe this is a scheme for world banks to implement some kind of underlying or hidden plan,To gain world economy domination, at their fingertips........
Just as 9/11 was used to gain public support for a "Patriot Act" which is nothing more than a act of communsim to gain control over peoples freedoms.....

Fact is,THEY are saying we are close to a great depression.....
Fact,during the Depression, over 9000 banks failed........
To this point,only 13 have failed....

Investors are basing their actions on ideas of fear,instead of sound financial decisions.

In any sense.Credit is worthless.

The only things a loan should be issued for is College,Cars and houses,and really houses should be the ONLY thing loans are issued for.If you cant pay for it,DONT BUY IT!
Getting a gas card to buy gas just pay interest on?????
WTF?:lol:
Using a VISA to buy a 900$ TV that you pay 1800$ for after interest????
STUPID....
Save cash and buy it out right!

max
10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Are you threatning me. I am cornholio. Need tee pee for my bungole

Mosh
10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Are you threatning me. I am cornholio. Need tee pee for my bungole
No.......You need Brake pads for your Slurpie machine.And I have them.No loans!!!!!
you pay cash,no goat trading!!!!

SYKO
10-10-2008, 09:20 AM
No.......You need Brake pads for your Slurpie machine.And I have them.No loans!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yea I know where not totally doomed yet

I agree with mosh if you dont have the money to buy it outright then DONT BUY IT!
all my cars are paid for my machines are paid for, the only thing im paying on is my house witch should be done this time next year, so im good in that respect. I am a bit worried about my savings and such.. but oh well... :rolleyes:

atctim
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Using a VISA to buy a 900$ TV that you pay 1800$ for after interest????
STUPID....
Save cash and buy it out right!

This is the model statement for an economy that WORKS!!!!! That is how my parents and grandparents did everything - and that is how they got where they are today! As I see it - this is the only way to live - so many morons out there think - buy today; pay tomorrow. Sorry, Don't work that way - save today:buy tomorrow!

I want a slurpie!

firehart
10-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Its going to be tough to cut back spending, but we have to do it. Too bad the banks and government just can't seen to understand the concept.

max
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM

What, You still try threatn me. I bomb yer place. Why you talk to my goats like dis. My wife is sick, my dog is sick, this is not good business my friend. I bomb your place.

Timmy, I give you slurpie + 310r for atc5hun. 4fidy smofidy

DixiePlowboy
10-10-2008, 11:54 AM
While it is bleak, it is FACT that the news is swaying everyones attitude and promoting fear in the economy.
I believe this is a scheme for world banks to implement some kind of underlying or hidden plan,To gain world economy domination, at their fingertips........
Just as 9/11 was used to gain public support for a "Patriot Act" which is nothing more than a act of communsim to gain control over peoples freedoms.....
!

Agreement.

I believe we'll come out the other side, but three questions knaw at me...(the answers I pose are my opinion only).

1.What caused this mess?
-A mixture of abuse(& addiction to) of credit by both consumers and financial institutions, questionable business practices within financial institutions, and foremost government intervention into the free market system.

2. When will this mess be straightened out/how long will it last?
-No idea.

3. What will we be become in the process?
-Doesn't look good. I've read headlines out of the UK stating that capitalism is dead......Communism has taken it's place. If that's true there, then it's true here..

What the solution is....I know not. I believe 100% though that considering the road we've been on since 1913 with the underhanded(!) creation of the central bank(Federal Reserve System: A private/for-profit NON-governmental agency) and the issuance of fiat money backed by nothing that followed later, the increased and widespread mania of people living beyond their means on credit.....that whatever the solution is, it's going to be a rough pill to swallow.

IF it can be swallowed at all.

I hope for the best...but prepare for the worst. Expecting government to legislate us out of this mess is like calling an arsonist to put out a fire.

atctim
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Timmy, I give you slurpie + 310r for atc5hun. 4fidy smofidy

My wife is sick and throwing up and you talking about coupons!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on high roller - pass me some dough and the 5-hundy is yours. Would look nice in the bed of that Chivy!

DixiePlowboy
10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Thoughts?

Link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aP5mpMUORBWM

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlsconi is calling for the world's financial markets to be closed in order to "rewrite the rules of international finance."

Speaking today in Naples, Berlusconi said that such action "can't be just for one country, or even just for Europe, but global." G-7 finance ministers are meeting in Washington today, the IMF and World Bank are meeting this weekend, and the G-8 leaders will meet in coming days to discuss this.

The Goat
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
well ya know...the same amount of money is out there...if everyone started investing instead of bailing out...everything would perk right back up.

here's a depression though, any chance of my college debts getting erased? gotta see the good in the bad ya know :)

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
well ya know...the same amount of money is out there...

I think the money is in China and the middle east.

DixiePlowboy
10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
There's actually more money out there...which is a bad thing.

The Fed flooded the economy with $680 billion a day or so before the House approved the $700B + bailout. That's $1,380,000,000,000+ that has(or is) getting printed and/or created on a computer screen out of thin air.....which through hyper-inflation will make the money in our billfolds and accounts actually worth less and the road to recovery that much harder.

DixiePlowboy
10-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the money is in China and the middle east.

Pretty much true of China when it comes to gold and the notes they hold on this country's debt. Let's just hope they aren't in a foreclosing mood.