PDA

View Full Version : Old bands, New albums (opinions?)

honda_atc200es
10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
ok, so when metallica came out with death magnetic, i wasn't too amazed, it was leaps and bounds over st. anger and load, but it just wasn't anything like master of puppets, ride the lightning or kill em all (to name a few of my favorites). now ac/dc came out with black ice, and i haven't listened to ac/dc in a couple years, but this album is amazing, straight to their roots, yet its new, and not just a rehash of all their other songs, although the names of the songs aren't very creative (the word 'rock' and 'n' is in 4 of the songs on the album). now im no audiophile, and i was not alive when these bands were at their prime, but i am a metal headand ac/dc got it right with this new album,proving old bands can still kickass:twisted: :beer:

what are some of your favorite older bands (even not so old) and what do you think of some of their newer albums vs. the old (id like to hear what a few slipknot fans think of all hope is gone)

DixiePlowboy
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
With regards to Metallica; the new album is much, much better than St. Anger. I actually like Load/Re-Load somewhat, but the best they've ever put out(to me) was and is....And Justice For All.

On Death Magnetic they've proven they can still do multiple tempo changes in one song, and that Lars can still play double bass....well into their 40's.

What little I've heard of AC/DC's new release sounds good to me.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Guns and Roses in the heyday(last release Use You Illusion I & II came out in 1991 !), I'll be listening for their upcoming first release since then.

Megadeath just won't seem to go away, and I hope Mustaine has more to offer.

honda_atc200es
10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
With regards to Metallica; the new album is much, much better than St. Anger. I actually like Load/Re-Load somewhat, but the best they've ever put out(to me) was and is....And Justice For All.

On Death Magnetic they've proven they can still do multiple tempo changes in one song, and that Lars can still play double bass....well into their 40's.

What little I've heard of AC/DC's new release sounds good to me.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Guns and Roses in the heyday(last release Use You Illusion I & II came out in 1991 !), I'll be listening for their upcoming first release since then.

Megadeath just won't seem to go away, and I hope Mustaine has more to offer.

i guess i would have to agree with death magnetic, it was very good, especially suicide and redemption (i love instrumentals) but ive always been hung up on songs like fade to black, which i haven't seemed to find anything with comparison to on death magnetic. but, in order for a band to succeed, changes must be made, and metallica has shown that they can keep up with newer styles.

And Guns N' Roses is having a new release? i didnt hear about that, that should be interesting, i do like velvet revolver, i wonder if they will separate themselves in the new album though.

megadeth, its been hit or miss for me, i loved Countdown to extinction and rust in peace, but the world made a hero, and cryptic writings i only enjoyed for about a day of listening before i got tired of it. their newest album which i have heard in a friends car, but didn't pay much attention to, seemed OK, but Gears of War? come on, that's just ridiculous. (from what i heard, when the album was being produced, they had 'gears of war' composed, but had no lyrics written, the creators of gears of war (a popular xbox video game for those who dont know) then payed megadeth to write lyrics about gears of war and integrate it into their song) but i havent sat down and really listened to it, so i cant really pass judgment yet

Russell 350X
10-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Death Magnetic is a killer album, I've been listening to it quite a bit, and it rules over Load/Reload and St. Anger. AC/DC I never had much of an ear for. I picked up the new Slipknot, holy cow, its awsome, its all I've been listening to since I bought it.

Daddio
10-20-2008, 10:13 PM
If you want to talk old heavy metal bands you have to mention Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.
I remember as a young teenager,68' 69' 70',listening to underground FM programs late at night so I could hear all of the GOOD music that didn't get any mainstream airplay. Those were the days! Steppinwolf, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly. Compared to the tame music that was popular in those days this stuff to me was mind blowing and life changing:naughty: . I like all truly good music but metal and blues are my favorites.

fabiodriven
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Two things- anything from Mettallica after the black album is utter vomit.

I wish Layne Staley were still alive-:cry:

4Q2
10-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Black was the beginning of there slippery slope, havent made it back ! That new song ?? SUCKS ! and im a old Metalica fan
The new AC/DC song is ok so far, Im not sure im gonna run out and buy it but they made a better stab than metalica
I use to especially like Iron Maiden when i was younger, Anthrax, Motorhead, Sucidal Ts , Decendents

Now i listen to Bob Dylan, Jim Croce, Wow how times change :eek:

Any body remember the " Dr Dimento " show ?

honda_atc200es
10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Black was the beginning of there slippery slope, havent made it back ! That new song ?? SUCKS ! and im a old Metalica fan
The new AC/DC song is ok so far, Im not sure im gonna run out and buy it but they made a better stab than metalica
I use to especially like Iron Maiden when i was younger, Anthrax, Motorhead, Sucidal Ts , Decendents

Now i listen to Bob Dylan, Jim Croce, Wow how times change :eek:

Any body remember the " Dr Dimento " show ?

anthrax and suicidal tendencies, 2 of my fav bands rite ther. iron maiden i havent much cared for, im not sure why, maybe ill try listening to an album or 2 again.

as for the slipknot album, finally! someone who thinks its good, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon to say its crap, i like there more progressive style, i mean the older slipknot was great, but after a while all the songs seemed to blend into one long track. the newer album has some more distinction.

aldochina
10-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Like the new metallica, havnt heard the new slipnot, never got into ac/dc they are great and all, i just always liked the heavier stuff. My personal favorite is SLAYER, they have been around forever, and have never compromised. Really into ArchEnemy, and InFlames right now. Loved suicidals middle releases(luagh tomarrow, lights camera, art of rebellion) but there past few releases have been real punky like there original stuff. Alot of the newer bands are good, but i cant think of any with the staying power of these early 80's metal bands that still crank it out after 25 plus years. They seem to come and go alot.

honda_atc200es
10-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Like the new metallica, havnt heard the new slipnot, never got into ac/dc they are great and all, i just always liked the heavier stuff. My personal favorite is SLAYER, they have been around forever, and have never compromised. Really into ArchEnemy, and InFlames right now. Loved suicidals middle releases(luagh tomarrow, lights camera, art of rebellion) but there past few releases have been real punky like there original stuff. Alot of the newer bands are good, but i cant think of any with the staying power of these early 80's metal bands that still crank it out after 25 plus years. They seem to come and go alot.

i like some heavier music as well, i havent really heard slayers newest stuff, but i havent heard any complaints, my favorite album from them has to be undisputed attitude, where it was just raw thrash metal like metallica started out. i listen to basically every genre of metal there is, from borderline rock and roll like ac/dc, to melodic death metal like children of bodom and grotesque

Billy Golightly
10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I've listened to the new metallica album ALOT. Probably the entire way through atleast 50 times. Its mostly just a personal preference thing, but I think this might be my favorite album by them period. I liked load and reload too though, so maybe its just me. Anyone that doesn't find the quality in Unforgiven 3 on the new album really needs to check their egos and expectations because it doesn't get much better then that anywhere.

4Q2
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Slayer was a great band back i the day, Testament, Overkill, Monster magnet, havent listened to much new stuff by these bands, i just listen to whats on the channels surfing.

My 13 year old NEVER takes the F*%#@n Ipod out of his head, he keeps up with all that jazz, all the new rock bands to me sound the same, except a few

I saw White Zombie and Pantera at the rocky Point Paldium one night for like $10, moshin and fighten,, The good old days :drool:
Now im an old fart at 33

Raziel661
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Metalllicas new album is by far the best they've released since Justice. All nightmare long is THE best track on it. For a band thats 25+ years going I think its awesome to see that after their total crap albums (Load/Reload, S&M, St. Anger) they still got what it takes to keep it simple and fast. Nothing will ever compare to the old stuff but hey when you get to be old you tend to think to much instead of saying F^&k it just play. A friend of mine went to see Slayer and said Tom Araya couldnt keep up with the lyrics. So I think they should just pack it in.

Tri-Z 250
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
AC/DC rock but need a group concert for me to wanna see em...again. As far as Metallica goes after the big sober up. I believe the temperment and tone of the band has changed. I realy do like some of the newer Metal bands but could deal less with the gargle low singing...to me it's like screaming punk bands...Bandsb that rock with no tallent singers IMO

aldochina
10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Metalllicas new album is by far the best they've released since Justice. All nightmare long is THE best track on it. For a band thats 25+ years going I think its awesome to see that after their total crap albums (Load/Reload, S&M, St. Anger) they still got what it takes to keep it simple and fast. Nothing will ever compare to the old stuff but hey when you get to be old you tend to think to much instead of saying F^&k it just play. A friend of mine went to see Slayer and said Tom Araya couldnt keep up with the lyrics. So I think they should just pack it in.

I think your friend is the one who could'nt keep up with the lyrics!!

Raziel661
10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
what i meant to say was he went to see slayer recently.

honda_atc200es
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I've listened to the new metallica album ALOT. Probably the entire way through atleast 50 times. Its mostly just a personal preference thing, but I think this might be my favorite album by them period. I liked load and reload too though, so maybe its just me. Anyone that doesn't find the quality in Unforgiven 3 on the new album really needs to check their egos and expectations because it doesn't get much better then that anywhere.

Unforgiven III is one of my favorites on the album next to suicide and redemption, i have listened to the album maybe 10 times through so far, my dad doesn't like it, but i think he just saying that.

testament is pretty good, i also like d.r.i., exodus (kinda), black sabbath definitely, danzig, white zombie

for those of you who havent heard ac/dc's new album, go on playlist(dot)com and type in money made, or stormy may day, best songs off the album

SWIGIN
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
ac/dc will aways sound good if you like them since ALL there songs sound the same. im not saying thats a bad thing but come on guys, change it up some.

now metallica (to us old time fans) needs to do more of this instead of trying to be main stream

rassagmc
10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Billy on this one. I like pretty much everything metallica has put out, including the load albums(they are my favorite band, come on). although nothing does compare their old stuff! have always been a fan of pantera too! lately I've been into the real hardcore stuff. been listening to august burns red, emmure, as i lay dying, a breath before surfacing.... i must say my favorite to this point is all shall perish!!! I'm not too crazy for the screaming, but the music!!! its sooo heavy and complex, yet so melodic at times! my truck speakers have taken some abuse! haha but really i enjoy all kinds of hard rock and metal, new or old!! oh and i was surprised to hear about ac/dc's new album, i'll have to check it out. god I hate rap!!!.......

SYKO
10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Faith no more...

mike patton

nuff said....

300rman
10-22-2008, 12:12 AM
it seems to be a hit-and-miss with new albums by old artists. seems like the older fans dontmuch care for it, whereas the newcomers like it.
if it sounds good, ROCK OUT!!!!
http://smilieshq.com/smilies/party0023.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

aldochina
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Faith no more...

mike patton

nuff said....

Angeldust is my personal fav. how bout some Bungle!!
I wish they would put somthing out

NINJA
10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Faith no more...

mike patton

nuff said....

Yup dude, Mike Patton is an extremely talented artist, he's known for lyrics not making sense because he liked how the words sounded together when he sang them. My favorite Faith No More song would have to be Digging The Grave, brings back good memories of the highschool days and my OG 83 Regal I had then.
I personally feel Metallica needs to hang it up and so does Slayer and Megadeth. Slipknot is definitely improving with age but Stone Sour is Cory Taylor's magnum opus band imo. I used to be a hardcore metal fan but these days I'm far more into punk than anything else and horror punk if you wanna get technical. I definitely feel that Jerry Only of the Misfits needs to stop being such a toolbag and let the Misfits be layed to rest. Stop ressurecting them man, nobody likes you! Danzig isn't any good anymore either. I know I said it a while back, but Blitzkid is a f***ing awesome band and very talented! That's who I've been listening to lately. I also have every Rammstein album and they get better with age too. As far as hardcore metal goes Atrocity is pretty awesome, I like the album Blut.