PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe

NINJA
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Who here drinks Absinthe or has drank Absinthe? I've been drinking it since I moved back from Romania in 2003. And yes I realize it has'nt been legal here that long. But, now it is so I no longer have to smuggle it. I'm talking about the real Absinthe made with grand wormwood. Not the low power crap that costs $40. I personally prefer Lucid. Awesome buzz, feels like you took Vicoden and drank at the same time. I know it effects everyone differently.:p

ATC-Eric
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Its legal here now?

My brother got a REAL bottle from the Chek republic (spelling) about 4 years ago. I had 3-4 shots, then hit the local saki bar for 4 long islands (man that chinese dude made good long islands!)

Long story short I was drunker then I had been in a LONG time, and even ended up with a few stitches.

Nasty tasting stuff though, if I remember right we diluded it in some water with sugar. Still tasted nasty.

Thats my only experience with the stuff.

NINJA
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, it's definitely an acquired taste. Not to bad if you like licorice. Usually people who like Jeger like it. But yes it is definitely legal now. I noticed it will wipe out my memory after 5 of them everytime. In RO they would call it amnesia. But yeah, you have to dilute it about 5:1 with water dripping on a sugar cube to get the chemical reaction started, it will turn from light green to white. I noticed it's an awesome pain killer.

Dirtcrasher
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds like fun!! Where do we get the "good stuff" lol....

chris200x
10-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Whoa! $100+ a bottle. http://www.absinth.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1 A bit too high class for my tastes.

ATC-Eric
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
That $100 bottle will last you though! You take a couple of shots, and you are good the rest of the night!

edog
10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Thats some cool chit.

I mite try that sometime.

136 proof:eek:

300rman
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
hey NINJA, where do you get yours from?

NINJA
10-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I order mine ii at a liquor store in Grand Junction, Colorado. The store is called the Liquor Barn. It costs me about $72 a bottle. That's about the going rate for good absinthe, if you pay more than $100 for a bottle, you're really just buying the name and you won't notice a difference. Lucid is the original and should be had for around $80. A bottle will last you a couple months, unless you really have a problem, then prolly a month. I like to start out with a absinthe and work my way down from there, as in vodka. I usually can't drink nor want to drink near as much as normal if I start out with an absinthe that night. It is the best alcohol/body buzz I've ever had.
http://www.drinklucid.com/

edog
10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
That bottle is creeping me out man.

Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I love the Chopin Nocturene B flat minor music.:drool:

cody2
10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I dont know, ive never been able to get around the taste myself but some of the stories i hear make me want to drink it more and more, its defiantly acquired. And no im not a huge jager guy.

200xcellent
10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
havent had it but I know the 190proof everclear kicks my butt everytimeeeeeeee

The Goat
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
you want a drink? half 190 and half hot suace. knock back about 10 of them...have a great night.

Something to consider with that absinthe is that if I'm not mistaken, absinthe with thujone is not legal to sell in the US. it's legal to have, to consume, just not to sell. Many drinkers think that the thujone from the absinthe is what can cause it's highly mellowing and sometimes hallucinagenic effect...truth is...no. thujone is a toxis chemical that is damned near removed by the distillation, at least in quality absinthes. If you drink enough of it, yes it can kill you, but you'd be dead from the alcohol poison way before that point.

I've killed a bottle of Nouvelle-Orleans absinthe in a night before...I can only describe the feelings as prescription morphine blended with alcohol (long story involving an ear ache/infection in the jaw that left me with some seriously bad pain). It's an extremely mellow drunk...very calm, very collected. It left me seriously considering my surroundings and everything about them.

If you've ever used/abused nitrous...it's a lot like that.

You have utterly chaotic thoughts that would never normally enter your head, and when you're drinking, those thoughts seem to be the most intelligent and creative things...EVER. Also...feelings of touch, hearing, and taste seem heightened

My favorites include:
"I think this is how cartoons got made."
"What the hell is that clicking?!?! (a cd was skipping in the cd player with it muted, I don't know how I heard it, as according to everyne else it wasn't making a sound. and I remember the sound being so loud as to be downright piercing)"
"You baby toe looks yummy...almost like a gordita."
"MACHIAVELLI WAS A FOOL AND HE'S TAUGHT ME NOTHING!!!!"

Honestly I'm not sure what half of those meant.

One quick note, excessive consumption can lead up to a build up of thujone in your system...it's rumored that is what causes its eventual psychotic effects...of course, that's merely conjecture.

But...Idk if they sell Nouvelle-Orleans anymore...it was pretty good from what I remember.

And no...I'm not a druggie. Other than an obsession with nitrous during the intimate act for a year or so...I've never touched a single drug.

Daddio
10-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I order mine ii at a liquor store in Grand Junction, Colorado. The store is called the Liquor Barn. It costs me about $72 a bottle. That's about the going rate for good absinthe, if you pay more than $100 for a bottle, you're really just buying the name and you won't notice a difference. Lucid is the original and should be had for around $80. A bottle will last you a couple months, unless you really have a problem, then prolly a month. I like to start out with a absinthe and work my way down from there, as in vodka. I usually can't drink nor want to drink near as much as normal if I start out with an absinthe that night. It is the best alcohol/body buzz I've ever had.
http://www.drinklucid.com/

Do you have to smuggle it into Utah? I lived in Salt lake for a while and we used to drive to Wyoming to get real beer every weekend . If I remember right it was illegal to do back then, probably still is. That seemed to make it taste better.:naughty:

300rman
10-22-2008, 09:38 PM
havent had it but I know the 190proof everclear kicks my butt everytimeeeeeeee

becuse of that stuff, and 1.5 games of checker-shotglass with that stuff, i now have a weak stomach. when i get nervous in certain situations , i get extreme upset stomach(which didnt exist pre-sickness). i can only describe the effect like suddenly my stomach contracts/tightens, and if i've eaten anything, it gets thrown up.

Not to mention, now liquor makes me instantly sick, and i just cant drink like i used to. and that was 3 years ago.
the games probably equaled out to be about 12-15 shots in a fairly rapid succession.

BAD NEWS.

The Goat
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
well you're lucky, if you would have kept it down, you'd have died within an hour or so.

I do enjoy my devil's taints (hot sauce and 190) from time to time. They knock you out, but with style.

Plus the first asshole who thinks you're buying a girl shot (it comes out a pink color) You hit him with two back to back.

NINJA
10-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, so far I've had to bootleg my absinthe into UT. The collection of thujone in the body could explain why I'm slightly crazy. LOL

ATC-Eric
10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
you want a drink? half 190 and half hot suace. knock back about 10 of them...have a great night.

Heres a good one I want you to try Goat, A "Thunder and lightnin"

One once Bacardi 151, One once Rumplemens in the same glass.

Will hit you within a few seconds, you wont do ten of these, I would bet a lot of money on that!

Its a great cheap way to hit the bar. Drink one or two of those, then sit on a couple of beers for the rest of the night.

z400guy28
10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm not 100% sure but i could have seen that Absinthe stuff on an episode of Anthony Bourdain's no reservations show. Atleast i think that's the name of his show. Him and some other dude took acouple of shot's and it definitely changed there mood. They went from happy to it looked like there were tripping. As for me never had the stuff. And if you guys say it taste like lickorish( don't know how to spell it) especially black like Zambuka and Jerger no thanks. One shot or smell of that stuff and i'm throwing up.

300rman
10-23-2008, 09:46 PM
well you're lucky, if you would have kept it down, you'd have died within an hour or so.

I do enjoy my devil's taints (hot sauce and 190) from time to time. They knock you out, but with style.

Plus the first asshole who thinks you're buying a girl shot (it comes out a pink color) You hit him with two back to back.
TRASHED i tell you.....the puke burned as bad coming up as it did down....till the dryheave started

The Goat
10-23-2008, 11:21 PM
We do rumplemints and everclear. Me and a girl drained a fifth of that monty goodness one night. I still gag sometimes when I brush my teeth.

I went to an Irish wedding the other night, I was humbled by quite a few old guys. We were drinking wine glasses of whiskey, that was not a good day.

ATC-Eric
11-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Heres the bottle we had, I think it was 2005.....ish

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/vacationbucket/n15932487_30801017_4975.jpg

gravelyman
11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
i like the bottom shelf stuff myself