PDA

View Full Version : trying to beat joe byrds 450r with a z

bzerk
10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
i was wondering what yamaha 2 stroke egine i could put on my tri-z im wanting it to be atleast a 450 i have a friend who has a 450r he bought it from joe byrd i dont know if any one here knows him but anyways joe is a pro racer he has a quad school in union city tn anyways he sold it well above race ready and i want to beat it and i dont think the big bore tri-z is going to cut it so if anyone can help with this matter i would greatly appriacte it

SWIGIN
10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
i raced against a few quad pros and a few of there bikes once sold.....as far as the old 250r pro quads went they werent crazy fast.

it was all rider but i havent bin around to many pro 450's....plenty of built to the hilt pro quality quads but no real pro 450's.

im betting they do run like a raped ape compaired to a ''normal'' built bike.....but as far as a 450 or bigger 2 stroke motor i dont know.

why not use a 450? fight fire with fire....you are lighter...lol

Tri-Z 250
10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I knew Joe when his wife Heather left home to become Mrs. Bird. Joe is a nice guy(had a big tallent ego back then) and very decated to the sport of Quad racing. His 250R back in the day was NOT a powerhouse. He liked smooth power that was trackable. Do I think a bigbore Tri-Z would beat his 450r bike in a drag? YES but I'm bias. These new 4stroke engines come pretty much built. You can mod things like valve degrees, cam and ports but the old over port and pollish, with a shaved head to bump compression are gone. So if I were to guess how modded that motor is I'd say very little(Joe couldn't afford to blowup and I doubt had the budget to buy more than 4 motors for the season from DASA). How does anyone win a National title....show up to EVERY race and podium....If you had the money and wanted to win the open class title show up to every race and place top5...Just ask Scott Buttler who raced for Trinity. It's mostly rider...$ does play a huge roll in how fresh your bike stays throughout the season. I watched Mark Baldwin go from MMI to pit mechanic to PEP rep to his present team owner over those years....Working for Mr.White building his son Justin, Gary Denton, and Timmy Farr's machines. It wasn't that anyone of those bikes were faster than the field...They were the freshest on the gate for sure.

tecat-z
10-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Seems you're talking about pure power as in a drag type race. With a tri-z based engine, good luck. Pro built engines are very stout, just watch a pro quad start. I've seen them at Red Bud many times at the nationals. HUGE POWER!!!! No late model yamaha 2 stroke is gonna be bolt in, so heavy mods will be necessary. Prolly not worth it to still loose. Tri-z engines can be made fast, but there will be big sacrifices in low to mid power, and not a good all arounder. That's why 450's are the engine of choice. Power everywhere.

bzerk
10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
man im tellin you he may have not had the moey then but he damn sure has the money now. a buddy of mine names clint by the way he bought the bike for a little ubder 18 grand from him i also know its got some donk hella more than any tri-z i have ever seen around my parts altho i have yellow fever and have to say tha hell with red and green this honda hes got is a monster and i jus want to know if there was ever a stout yamaha 450 or bigger 2 stroke able to take a beating im build it for jus one race then in tha garage it goes so thanx for the input and please keep it comming

hondawasaki
10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree with Tecat-z, the 450's stock are pretty tame, soup them up a little, and they make big power. They are deceivingly fast, because they make power everywhere. My 500 tecate, will beat most, but thay are closer than you would think.

but to answer your question, a late model R1 engine would suffice!

Yamatrike400
10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I would use a YZ465 or YZ/IT490 engine! Beat him with an air fooler! The 490 is crazy - has power on demand, and freakin' fly's. I think that would be one badazz swap.

300rman
10-24-2008, 01:59 AM
mmmmm cr500. piss on those 450's.

Mosh
10-24-2008, 10:48 AM
A properly built, and tuned, big bore 310 Tri-Z WILL beat some mild built 450s.......In a 300-500ft drag race.

Derrick Adams
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
That 450 is making upwards of 60hp if his national motor is still in the bike, so you better AT LEAST put in a 500cc 2 stroke. The Honda CR500 is close to a direct bolt in. Might try that.

bzerk
11-05-2008, 03:08 AM
the i looked at the 465 and 490 but heard really bad reports especialy on the 490 vibraton so bad breakin motormounts and ratteling everything loose but if the price is right that would be an opion

derrick for tha z i was wanting to go yamaha but if the price is right i guess tha red could work. do you know if somone makes a conversion kit (motor mounts) for a z

3leggeddog
11-05-2008, 03:04 PM
hmm,my 450r is not a pro bike by any means,just a good head port,oversized valves,a good pipe,and a cam.makin upper 50's at the wheels.I walked Louis's cr500 and Jason's crf 450 3 wheelers down the road till I ran out of gear.soooo................better get your self a serious motor my friend

Louis Mielke
11-05-2008, 06:33 PM
haha. Too bad I couldn't keep the front end down on the blacktop. :-P

bzerk
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
well in that case what do you guys sugest

Yamatrike400
11-06-2008, 01:00 AM
the i looked at the 465 and 490 but heard really bad reports especialy on the 490 vibraton so bad breakin motormounts and ratteling everything loose but if the price is right that would be an opion

derrick for tha z i was wanting to go yamaha but if the price is right i guess tha red could work. do you know if somone makes a conversion kit (motor mounts) for a z

Its honestly not THAT bad. I think a trike would dissipate the vibration better too. If i were to do it i would use rubber/ polyurethane bushings in between the engine and mounts. These engine have more torque than you would believe. Honestly you can chug it like a 4 stroke yet open it up and it'll scream just a like a 2 stroke should.

ATC-Eric
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I HAVE beaten a heavily modded YFZ on dirt with my 310 Z. Multiple runs. Not by much, but a good bike length every time.

And this was more then a bolt on bike, and yes the kid knew how to ride it, and my Z is mildly ported.

bzerk
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
i have been trying to get ahold of tritecate250 abotu the big bore kit but im not able to get ahold of him i guess ill got with the big bore kit first then if its not fast enogh ill jus start a 500r conversion since i want to keep them motor the same manufacturer as the bike

ATC-Eric
11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey bzerk,

Coreys (tritecate350) real busy right now, probably rollin in a combine, hasnt been on the internet in a while.

anyways, try to give him a call if you can. He will be building them real soon.

573-721-2251

Louis Mielke
11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
guess we'll have to hit the dirt next time.:welcome: :acr

If you think about it for a minute I bet you'll remember I left and we never got to play in the field. Just on the blacktop, only once or twice, then i left to pickup food with Derrick and Jason.

I tip my hat to you on the rider skill because you're definitely a better rider but I don't think we settled if that 450r can touch a 500. I know I was smoking craigs buddies modded ltz450.

I also know you owned the 500 Tim has now so you should know the 500 vs the 450 from experience, but at the same time I think I remember pulling away from Tim's 500 the last time we got to play so once again I don't think it's settled yet.

Hopefully next time we get to play I should have the new mx bike done and our gearing should be closer. Mine was definitely geared way too tall to realistically compare power.

Oh and since I'm on this kick asking for a tongue lashing I will also add that my 500 is physically restricted. Derrick can confirm that my throttle only opens 3/4 of the way because I'm running a 400ex throttle.

We'll play again. :-P

Okay, let me have it, I'm sure I'm gonna get it now.

Jason Hall
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey 3 leg, Did you happen to notice that you were maybe 1 bike length ahead when you turned around???? I don't want to stir up and Dog do, but If my 1 wheel stayed down you would have seen that your 12 tooth front sprocket, and heavier front end was all that got you out front!!!! You also let off as soon as you could so you would not get passed. I'm down for another run at that 50 HP to the rear wheels any time. This time I'll be sure we have a set mark to race to HE HE. Your compairing apple's to oranges my friend. Your geared to about 40 MPH and thats It, along with the gearing and being on pavement with a heavier front end. Just as louis and I got rolling, you let off. What kinda race Is that Doggy. My motor Is Stock other than the cam. So put that on your leash and walk It HA HA HA, I love you man.

Mosh
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I have video,quite a few vids of my 310Z beating alot of 450s......

Including Derricks 450 tri-z trike at trikefest 07...Now granted,Derrick wasnt riding it,But I think Nate Knows how to ride well enough, that is wasnt rider.
By a good 2 lengths....

So to the guy wondering...a 310Z Will beat450s.

Louis Mielke
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
derricks is only a 4 speed :-P

Black86tri-z
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
03orange shee's lil 250 gits it

atctim
11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
well in that case what do you guys sugest

I would suggest stop trying cause most likely it won't happen.

Not trying to be negative here - just realistic.

You are trying to put a thousand dollar paint job on a hundred dollar car!