PDA

View Full Version : Molds for fiberglass

Twilight
11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone here ever make a mold for a fiberglass part? Any tips? Im going to be able to do some fiberglass parts and want to make a good mold for them.

gravelyman
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
use lots of wax paper when applying the resin to the glass so it will not stick to your mold. what are you going to mold? i might could help you a little better i have molded a few parts with fiberglass

Twilight
11-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Ack, I knew I butchered that. I am wondering how to make a mold for something I will be making out of fiberglass.

Its going to be a roof for the FL350 and FL400 atv's

gravelyman
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
first get your design lets say it will be 4x3 square you will want your glass to overlay a lil bit to cut off later build it on a piece of plywood put wax paper down and tack your glass down on top of it apply resin then layer more glass to get the strengh you want. when your ready to make the sides build a box with 2x4's around the top make shure you build it bigger than the top. depending on how you want the sides to look there are several ways to do the next part get some expanding foam put around the inside of the box you made let it expand and dry. make sure none of it gets on any part of what you want to be a final part of your project. when it is dry sand it and shape it. put wax paper on it and apply your glass and resin when done remove your mold and cut off all the excess glass and sand it smooth with a belt sander. also if you have an idea on how you are going to mount it you can install your mounting brackets between several layers of glass
make sure you reinforce them good luck