PDA

View Full Version : need some gun advice

300rman
11-05-2008, 01:03 AM
well, ive been looking at AK's and ammo, and it seems that a decent AK goes for 300-350.

what, in your opinions, should i expect to pay for one, and what should i look out for?

3Razors
11-05-2008, 01:10 AM
There are alot of variations of the AK as it has been produced in many different countries. The authentic russian ones usually fetch $700-1000 in mint new shape. Generic ones are much cheaper

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
THe WASR model made in romania is the cheapest model. From what i gather it is just as reliable as any. By design the AK is a crudely made tool. Sheet metal and plywood. If you want to spend more you can get fancier. Some AK guys prefer ones that have the "demple" in the reciever just above the mag well on each side. I have a romanian champion pistol which goes for about 450-500 my next one will be a yugo fixed stock model. Awesome guns.

gravelyman
11-05-2008, 01:14 AM
if you want a gun you better get it now a 45acp is a good pistol for protection you better belive by gun collection just went up 100% in value after tonight. dont buy any china made ak a good russian one is reliable a m10 is also a good protection rifle that shoots a 7.62mm the 5.56 is a more accurate round or if you want i will sell you my glock 18 or my da .50 if the cost of it is 300-350 it is chineese made you would be better off with a SKS for the same money that shoots the same round for every member of your house that is old enough to handle a firearm you should have a min of 2 pistols 1 rifle 1 shot gun with a min of 500 rounds for each that is the only way to protect yourself. if the wife frouns upon you buying a gun tell her it is an investment my wife for fathers day this year bought me a S&W .40ve for 299.99 with a 50$ rebate the cheapest you can find one at a dealer now is about 345.99 with obama in office ha ha ha how bad do you want it and how many samples of dna will you have to give to get it? both myself and my wife have C&R and conceled weapons permits if you can buy from an induvidual do it that way there is no paper trail for them to follow and it is perfectly legal just my 2 cents

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 01:28 AM
The chinese ones are actually very good quality and hold a higher value such as poly tech and norinco. I do prefer the russians though, but the cheap AKs will not fail and require next to no cleaning.

gravelyman
11-05-2008, 01:35 AM
thats like saying a jennings .380 auto is a good gun it is cheap. i guess it depends on what type of enviorment it will be used in. they do require less cleaning but are less accurate when compared to a ar15 an ar15 is more accurate with a point target of 300+yards as with the ak point target of only 250 yards one is precise one just shoots

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 01:51 AM
most looking for an ak is not looking for target accuracy i wouldnt think. I'd take my bolt action 270 if i want to hit a bulls eye at 300+ yards. Or maybe my k98, or mosin nagant, or k31. Ive got no love for ARs. For an assault rifle, i'd stick to the AK for price, reliability, fun to shoot, price of ammo, and simplicity of stripping.

gravelyman
11-05-2008, 02:04 AM
as long as you have a gun and it works you will be ok if you can hit what you are shooting you will be even better

300rman
11-05-2008, 02:12 AM
i'd also like a mosin nagant, they are cheap, around 80 bucks around here.
but i figure they will be easier to come by than the AK, so im going to get as much money together ASAP and get one at a gunshow W/O a paper trail. prolly get 2000+ rounds of ammo too.

Honda Junkie
11-05-2008, 02:12 AM
What do you have against AR-15s

300rman
11-05-2008, 03:00 AM
What do you have against AR-15s

nothing, but i believe ammo for them is pricier, as are the guns themselves

The Goat
11-05-2008, 03:15 AM
I'd rather a .22 with a 50 round clip. That's 50 bad guys if you're a decnt shot, help you could get more if you get some neck shots.

Home defense, nothing beats a pump shotgun full of buckshot.

There's also a pistol that can fire 3in 4-10 buckshot. That's a death dealer if ya ask me.

300rman
11-05-2008, 03:40 AM
this is very true, but i see shotguns being plentiful for awhile. i can see the assault rifles drying up rather quick down the road if Osama has his way. and ive always liked the AK, especially after shooting a few clips.

i plan to get a 357, 12 gauge, and mosin nagant in the near future.

Yamatrike400
11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
There's also a pistol that can fire 3in 4-10 buckshot. That's a death dealer if ya ask me.

We've got one, a Smith & Wesson 460 performance shop edition. The things a cannon. it will shoot 44 mags, 454's, 4 10's and the 460.

And yea id go with a 357 or a 44 mag. A good taurus 44 snub nose revolver can be had at around 400 bucks.

DixiePlowboy
11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
AK tip:

When buying a Romanian WASR, or any gun that is a Century Arms build, inspect the weapon closely to see that the gas block and front sight base are straight on the barrel. You do not want a canted one, and there are plenty of them floating around.

z400guy28
11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
thats like saying a jennings .380 auto is a good gun it is cheap. i guess it depends on what type of enviorment it will be used in. they do require less cleaning but are less accurate when compared to a ar15 an ar15 is more accurate with a point target of 300+yards as with the ak point target of only 250 yards one is precise one just shoots

Your right the AR15 is more accurate but the 7.62 39 causes more damage. I saw it one future weapons.

z400guy28
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
What about the SKS. I have a Norinco and my buddy has a Yugo AK, and in my opinion my SKS is more accurate. Plus the SKS's are cheaper than the AK. I paid 150 bucks and my buddy paid 450 bucks for his. Same round and power plus alot cheaper.

DixiePlowboy
11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Down side of the SKS:

Only slightly more accurate than a good AK, and much slower re-load time. There are a few SKS's around that accept AK magazines(not crappy duckbill mags mind you), but the prices for one are higher than most AK's.

If you keep most of your immediately useable ammo supply on stripper clips, and learn how to make the weapon as effective as it can be, you're not at a HUGE disadvantage.

Ammo price not withstanding, the best (IMO) weapon out there would be a DS Arms FAL( 20-round mags of 7.62x51/.308). A base model will set you back about a grand, which is high, but they are very accurate and the ammo has more punch than the AK.....and many times more than the AR's .223.

I had a Century Arms built, Imbel recievered FAL that was a tackdriver. My favorite rifle of all time. Parts are plentiful, the design is very reliable, and mags are cheap.

hancadam
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Two of my favorite guns ever are the SKS and Mosin Nagant.

Here are the SKS's. Both are norinco. The brown one is the sporter version that takes normal AK clips. The other is just a normal mil surplus with all the crap added. Both guns are very reliable. I have put at least 2000 rounds through the black one with no issues. I use stripper clips, its very easy and fast. I normally don't use the clip shown, its not very good. I use the standard 10 round. I know AK's are awesome, but the SKS is just as reliable, more accurate, more like a rifle, parts a plenty, and better looking in my opinion. My black one has been great for hunting.
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6576/sksarr6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here are my mosins. I love them. Very accurate and well made. Killed a Buck Sunday with one of them from about 50 feet away, right in the heart with him walking at me. I know its not that far of a shot, but I was really proud of myself.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4899/mosinnagant1hb2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hancadam
11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
With Obama's win last night, I applied for a credit card today to buy a couple pistols and tons of ammo. Thats a big move for me since I hate credit cards with a passion. But I feel it may be now or never. My Dad has signed me, mom, and him up for the carry permit class. Gonna get everything taken care of just to make sure before he takes office.

edog
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
SKS is a better choice in my opinion.

hinddee29
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
This is what I'm wanting, but by the time I'm able to get it I'm sure he will have something better out.
http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_rec7.aspx
I know ammo isn't that common, but you get the best of both world with this rifle.

Comes down to it get what you can, but get something that uses pretty common ammo. So that way you can just about find ammo anywhere.

Nice 12ga. and a good hunting rifle set up is all you'll need.

300rman
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
With Obama's win last night, I applied for a credit card today to buy a couple pistols and tons of ammo. Thats a big move for me since I hate credit cards with a passion. But I feel it may be now or never. My Dad has signed me, mom, and him up for the carry permit class. Gonna get everything taken care of just to make sure before he takes office.

better make sure you report the guns stolen then. wont do much good to buy a gun, to have it on record so they know, and can take it away later.

300rman
11-05-2008, 08:48 PM
1000 rounds of Golden tiger 7.62x39 ammo, 229 shipped to my door. Sound like a good deal? Im thinking about jumping on this one.

hancadam
11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
If it comes down to that, we have more then that to worry about. It will be full blown civil war. The south will not stand for that, not sure the north will either. That will ignite full blown anarchy. Even if so, both SKS's where acquired in a trade, and I have a S&W .32 that was given to me by my grandfather.

smvorndran
11-05-2008, 08:57 PM
if you want i will sell you my glock 18

I didn't know you could get a Glock 18 in the states. That's the full-auto model, isn't it? I'd love to shoot one of them.

smvorndran

smvorndran
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Gun advice, buy all you can now.

smvorndran

The Goat
11-05-2008, 09:07 PM
no one ever answered me if they could thread stainless?

smvorndran
11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
no one ever answered me if they could thread stainless?

I didn't see a post where you were asking, but why couldn't you? It's tougher to machine, but it can be done.

smvorndran

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
did I mention that I love AKs?

hancadam
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed."

Luke 11:21

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM

OH! here are a couple of "back-in-the-day" Pics of our new president!

wheelie king
11-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I gotta say this.........

I told myself I would not comment, BUT-

I am perplexed by the lure of the AK. Is it the price??? I mean seriously. What a CRUDE weapon with marginal accuracy and quality. For the average soldier of fortune, I guess they serve their purpose and the fact that you can get the stocks and all accessories in the "cheaper than dirt" catologue for pennies and this is just what the backyard badarse is looking for.

I guess I just missed that boat. For about $900 out the door, you can get an AR-15, and if you know where to get ammo it won't kill yer wallet any more than 7.62X39 ammo. The AR is twice the weapon with 3 times the versatility, and will be actually worth something in 20 years.

Again, guys- I am not trying to stir sheet here, but the AKs (and I do have 2 chinese SKSs) are OK, but they are exactly that.....OK (at best). Save your money and get something you will be proud to pass on to your kids. And if you are relying on it to save your life, don't wait till then to wish you spent the extra 400 bucks.

smvorndran
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I want an AR-15.

smvorndran

wheelie king
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I want an AR-15.

smvorndran

THADDA BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer

DixiePlowboy
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I gotta say this.........

I told myself I would not comment, BUT-

I am perplexed by the lure of the AK. Is it the price??? I mean seriously. What a CRUDE weapon with marginal accuracy and quality. For the average soldier of fortune, I guess they serve their purpose and the fact that you can get the stocks and all accessories in the "cheaper than dirt" catologue for pennies and this is just what the backyard badarse is looking for.

I guess I just missed that boat. For about $900 out the door, you can get an AR-15, and if you know where to get ammo it won't kill yer wallet any more than 7.62X39 ammo. The AR is twice the weapon with 3 times the versatility, and will be actually worth something in 20 years.

Again, guys- I am not trying to stir sheet here, but the AKs (and I do have 2 chinese SKSs) are OK, but they are exactly that.....OK (at best). Save your money and get something you will be proud to pass on to your kids. And if you are relying on it to save your life, don't wait till then to wish you spent the extra 400 bucks.

The lure of the AK is depndability and simplicity, ....and the lower price tag. Sure, it's not going to be 1 m.o.a. accurate, but the bullets arent going to be glancing off of winshields either.

I dislike the AR for the reliability/durability factor, as well as the .223 caliber....and I can't be sold on one.

If I want to drop $900+ on a gun, it'll be another FAL or a JLD PTR-91(HK-91 clone)that outclasses both the AK and AR.

Billy Golightly
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
drop 5 or $600 on the only AR part required to go through an FFL (The lower receiver) that'll get you 5 or 6 of them. You can buy every single other part and assemble yourself via UPS and numerous other places. Barrells and a stocks and trigger mechanisms and the like are unlikely to go out of production anytime really soon...but the availability of receivers (which are treated as whole weapons by BATF) are at a questionable life span thanks to Obamas election I believe. So you can build pretty much 6 rifles.

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Here's what you have missed about the attraction to AKs. There have been numerous stories of AKs being found and dug out of various levels of sand and mud and still shoot being full of rust and earth. The loose reciever design was made for this. It is a nearly flawless mechanism. I have put many rounds through AKs, SKSs, as well as an 07 bushmaster m4 carbine. I have yet to have a single jam with my AK where as my 900$ AR with expensive ammo, expensive accessories, and intricate breakdown cleanings, has jammed many times and I would have less faith in it if ever it needed to be used in the way that it was designed for. Yeah its better quality materials as well as craftsmanship, and it is way cool on the "Tactical" scale. It is IMO an example of an overly complicated overly expensive assault rifle. If you look at which assault rifle is most utilized in any country it IS the AK. That is impressive. THe M16 got many GIs killed i vietnam due to its inability to be effeciently field stripped (as well as difficulty to train for) and would not function when dirty. Many GIs ditched them and used AKs that were battle field pick ups. I feel the same way about the mosin Nagant. Cheaply made, relentlessly reliable, and very accurate at LONG distances.

wheelie king
11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
but the bullets arent going to be glancing off of winshields either.

I dislike the AR for the reliability/durability factor, as well as the .223 caliber....and I can't be sold on one.

If I want to drop $900+ on a gun, it'll be another FAL or a JLD PTR-91(HK-91 clone)that outclasses both the AK and AR.

Hey man- Gotta disagree with you here. As someone who has been in a live-fire situation, shot and been shot at, and fully submerged a Bushmaster AR-15numerous times, dropped it, fell down with it, etc., you will not convince me that it is not durable.

I personally don't buy a "clone" of anything, either. I do have an HK UMP 40 (full auto) Highly recommend you check one out. shens

And if your .223 rounds are "glancing off windshields"- you are on another planet. I have yet to see a 5.56 nato (.223) "glance" off a windshield. EVER. And I have been there. There's a reason the US military and every Law Enforcement agency uses the AR-15 and/or the .223. I know I always will.

But good luck with your AKs.

{{piroguedog- If you are having those problems with your Bushmaster AR, SEND IT TO THE COMPANY with the ammo you are having the probs with. They will do all they can to help you, or replace the parts (or all )of your gun. Good luck.}}

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Its funny how we can split hairs on several guns that are all actually pretty awesome knowing that we probably really like all of them. I know I do. Love HKs btw. Would love to check that out. IMO, a bushmaster is a clone of a Colt.

piroguedog
11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
i'd also like a mosin nagant, they are cheap, around 80 bucks around here.
but i figure they will be easier to come by than the AK, so im going to get as much money together ASAP and get one at a gunshow W/O a paper trail. prolly get 2000+ rounds of ammo too.

They are cheap but they are in need of a few mods to be good frequent shooters. If you want a scope, you need a different bolt handle. Also the triggers are really heavy, there are a couple good adjustable (almost drop in) replacements out there which really make a difference.
Oh, and they kick like a mule and weigh a ton. But i like that about them. I have the M44, probably not quite as acccurate as the longer 91/30 but close.

300rman
11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
question is still unanwered LOL

"1000 rounds of Golden tiger 7.62x39 ammo, 229 shipped to my door. Sound like a good deal? Im thinking about jumping on this one."

fla 2-stroke
11-06-2008, 03:48 AM
here is my olympic ar-15.bought it new out the door for under 700 about 10 months ago.went to get 2 more for investment and they were up almost 200.I think the .223 round is a little more expensive even for crappy wolf.the days of these new could be numbered.

DixiePlowboy
11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=wheelie king;671245]Hey man- Gotta disagree with you here. As someone who has been in a live-fire situation, shot and been shot at, and fully submerged a Bushmaster AR-15numerous times, dropped it, fell down with it, etc., you will not convince me that it is not durable.
Been in live fire myself......but you'll still not convince me that the AR is as durable as an AK

And if your .223 rounds are "glancing off windshields"- you are on another planet. I have yet to see a 5.56 nato (.223) "glance" off a windshield. EVER. And I have been there. There's a reason the US military and every Law Enforcement agency uses the AR-15 and/or the .223. I know I always will.

And there is a reason that .308 is preferred over 5.56 for prescision work where penetration is important. I have seen(more than once) light weight .223 glance off a winshield, albeit at a severe angle. And it happened on this planet

But good luck with your AKs.

AK's not MY favorite, (matter of fact I sold my last AK last week)but...Thanks! Sorry that I feel the AR is junk.....expensive junk. Nothing personal against AR users, just personal preference.

[QUOTE]

my comments in red

SWIGIN
11-06-2008, 09:36 AM
$200 for a case of 7.62x39 is the price at the local gun shops give or take. i bought my ammo when it was $85....lol

last time my buddy had his AR-15 out shooting with us he was bragging up how superior his gun was over my romainian AK.

after watching him clear many jams and not out shoot my AK (only 80 yards) we started shooting empty gas grill bottles at 80 yards.

my AK would tear through it (both sides) sending it flipping while the .223 would only go in one side and be traped in the tank.......next time we shot he had a AK ....lol

i will never be sold on .223

hell, if the man comes after you all you need to do is hold a empty propane tank in front of you .

i'm also with goat as far as a .22 is a great must have gun to own. hard to beat a cool looking ruger 10/22 that you can shoot all day long for a few bucks.

i have a 4-9 scope on my 10/22 and its amazing how accurate they can be

hinddee29
11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
As anyone ever looked into the 6.8 cal.?? You can change the AR's over to one.
Depending on where you get one you can get the rifle for about the same as an AR or mint AK.
6.8 is as accurate and the .223, but has the knock down power of the 7.62
Not disagreeing if you need a weapon that will shoot no matter what and in any condition, and need to lay down suppressive fire the AK is the rifle to have.

I think if you can combine the 2 you have one hell of a good rifle.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=247

piroguedog
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
question is still unanwered LOL

"1000 rounds of Golden tiger 7.62x39 ammo, 229 shipped to my door. Sound like a good deal? Im thinking about jumping on this one."

Check this out.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_762x39.htm

Yamatrike400
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
That wolf ammo with the coating on the shell jams up easy...especially in our AR.

300rman
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Check this out.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_762x39.htm

they say they are on vacation till september first......thats long past, unless they mean next year??????

dickieg89
11-07-2008, 12:00 AM
don't buy wolf .223. it jams yer/my AR each round. if you have single shot rossi or whatever who cares. my AR like real brass bullets. munch,munch,munch.

SWIGIN
11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
my ak loves wolf....over 6000 rounds and no problems

The Goat
11-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Never live fire, but I've had .223 and .243 deflected by blades of grass.

Now, having said that, I'd rather shoot a .223. Don't get me wrong, AKs are likely the toughest guns out there. A glock is reliable because of tech, coatings, and engineering. An ak is reliable because of how simply it's made. I personally love the ruger mini14. With a 20 round clip you can hit a bunch of targets within 300 yards, in a small amount of time.

This discussion has lit a hair up my ass, and I'll be hitting the gun store very early January.

As for distance, who really shoots over 300 yards regulary anyways? Especially in a survival situation?

ironchop
11-07-2008, 04:06 AM
those who say AK`s and SKS`s are pitiful for accuracy should ask tens of thousands of US soldiers alone who died from lead originating from either of these Communist Bloc weapons just how much they suck for accuracy...I`m sure if they were alive today they might agree with that angle

truth is .223 was adopted by NATO nations....to lessen the trauma inflicted on soldiers during war and to make war less deadly...idotic idea for sure but check the facts...it was NATO pressure that helped push the .223

most folks in a CQB situation are not realistically shooting over 250 yds. anyway...more like 50 yds...I think one would be hard pressed to explain to Law Enforcement why he dropped an armed intruder at 300 yds. from his doorstep

anything over 250 yds. should be addressed by a good large caliber bolt-action rifle...the more common and cheaper the calibre, the better

My father,may he R.I.P. served in Nam in the Corp from 63-68
I once sold off a Norinco AK way back when they were 250$ out the door so I could buy optics for a Century built FAL ...I still recommend FAL or HK 91/ G3 (in semi auto...don`t be stupid) as these designs were much nicer quality with the FAL being the KING of reliability/quality for a .308...wish I had kept it and the STG 58 I once owned

anyway Dad was there during the early days of the M16 and told me that they frequently threw down their "jammers" and picked up battlefield AKs from dead NVA as an alternative....of course, the advent of the forward assist on that platform helped to address the bolt jams but only remedially...AR`s jam because they are cadillac rifles meant to be constantly cleaned and very well maintained as most AR owners do maintain their rifles very well....something one should do with any weapon but moreso with an AR platform

and as for full autos.....fun to play with....great for cover fire...but ultimately a ridiculous waste of ammo and lackluster accuracy for most users, unless you train to use very small, controlled bursts

as for buying NOW...well....since 9/11 and the Patriot Act, I am sure your name address and phone number are posted in the NCIS computer (run by the FBI last time I bought a pistol)...and we all know how fearmongers and gun haters loathe "assualt weapons"....Obama recently made a speech where VP referred to his fancy shotgun that he wouldn`t let Obama touch when the subject of gun control was addressed...Obama commented that battlefield weapons belong on the battlefield and not in the hands of criminals (translation: ordinary citizens)

He even mentioned AK-47s by name if I recall

and these types of weapons will be the FIRST ones they look for to have turned in....see California`s regulation of .50 rifles (register by xxx date or turn them in)

Louisianna tried to pass a proposition stating that semi-auto rifles need to be turned in, inspected, and the owner registers the weapon and applies for a liscence to keep....liscence good for one year, the reapply every year to keep YOUR weapon....it was struck down before being signed into law...that was earlier this year I believe

keep this in mind when buying on paper....however I DO NOT condone illegal purchase...that`s 30 yrs. flat Federal time and you would be a fool to tempt the Law...if your state allows face-to-face transactions, then take advantage but be aware of the laws in your state and stay within them...you cannot protect your family from behind bars

I saw an SKS purchased for $45 on sale new back in 96 run 7500 rds. thru it without being cleaned and it jammed 6 times....4 of those were bad primers/dud surplus ammo...pretty good if you ask me

any firearm can kill...but of all I have handled, the AK is a great budget shooter along with the SKS...and accurate enough to get the job done close in...try to find a milled receiver AK...as they are mre accurate and durable than their sheet metal receivered cousins

the FAL is, hands down, the easiest rifle I ever owned to field strip and quickly reassemble (even strip the bolt), high quality milled receiver and accurate in my experiences to one MOA out to 800 yds. and I was using a cheap scope and junk surplus loads...kinda heavy at a hair over 9 lbs. and front heavy unless you get a 16 1/4 carbine style barrel but with that you lose accuracy.

for bolt action a mauser action like a Yugo built is a cheaper but high quality excellent bolt gun get one new for about $200...the Mosin is like trying to pull a truck when pulling the trigger and the action leaves much to be desired as fars as smooth action...but a 7.62x54 is a muzzle blasting cannon load and rds. are cheap whereas 8mm for the Mauser action isn`t as cheap

one more EXTREMELY important thing to remember when deciding what to choose to defend yourself...I see posts about .308 ripping through anything whereas .223 was stopped by a propane tank....overpenetration could inadvertantly kill or wound bystanders like your neighbor or your family member in another room in the house...I would choose a shotgun for in- home defense when considering this fact...you wouldn`t want your neighbor to drop dead on the couch because you used an AK to defend your home and it penetrated an exterior wall of your home and traveled to his house...I have fired an AK through a 24 inch diameter pine tree...all the way through....so I`m sure some drywall, 2x4`s, and some vynil siding aren`t going to contain it either

JMO

hancadam
11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I use wolf in both SKS's and Mosin's, never have any issues. Not sure what you mean by heavy trigger on the Mosin's, I have never had any issues holding a target and pulling the trigger. I guess its all opinion. I am going to the Bill Goodman Gun show tomorrow, can't wait. I will be looking for a cheap pistol, possibly Hi-point, and a Mauser.

The Goat
11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
and instead of passing that law, Louisiana passed one allowing loaded concealed weapons in your vehicle. Your vehicle is now viewed as an extension ofyour home. Carry what you will.

Want transferred energy? .40 cal with a very low weight bullet. 180 grain sounds good, 145 and below travels 500fps faster.

As for bullts going through a house, pretty much anything will.

wheelie king
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
My daughter has a daddy cause of .223. I guess Dixieplowboy thinks its crap, and that's too bad.

And wolf ammo is crap.

Be safe out there everyone.

Billy Golightly
11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Do any of you guy with the Mosin's know of a good place to buy those in bulk? I mean like 5+? At $90 a piece I want enough of em to stash in each corner of the house, the shop, and maybe even out in the woods :lol:

hancadam
11-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Contact Trinity Arms at this forum:

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=105

http://trinityarms.com/

He specializes in dealing with mosins, mousers, etc.

DixiePlowboy
11-08-2008, 04:31 AM
My daughter has a daddy cause of .223. I guess Dixieplowboy thinks its crap, and that's too bad.

And wolf ammo is crap.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad because you like .223, and I'm glad your daughter has a daddy. My five sons have a daddy because of .308.....

I gave my opinion based on MY experience only, take it or leave it....and I don't like .223 for a battle round. As a varmit rifle caliber, I'm sure it's fine.

Why take my dislike of 5.56 so personally?

SWIGIN
11-08-2008, 05:16 AM
great post inchdrop

i
agree 100% that you got to think about over penitration and as far as in home protection goes you cant go wrong with a low brass/target load 12 gauge.

anyone who has a rifle for in home protection is a fool.....even a .22

wheelie king
11-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Dixie- (and everyone else who cares)
I must clarify that I do not think AKs or SKSs- whatever- are junk. Again I have 2 of them and have a ball shooting them recreationally. While I don't take your view on the .223 personally, you must realize that there are so many people out there that just say something is "junk" or "crappy" and have NOTHING to back it up. You obviously disagree and have valid reasons for it, from your point of view. I understand that. But please bear with me that so many people will bandwagon around and hate on something for no reason. I respect your opinion, but I just was confused on what you are basing it on. Nothing personal, and I understand your points.

Keep in mind that my profession (look at the avatar and guess) has exposed me to stuff that few others ever experience. I have been in live fire and taken fire, returned fire, and ....well, I am still here. I also believe in the .223 for 150 yards or less range requiring rapid delivery fire. Just consider the load you are using for penetration issues.

Anything else, I will go .308. I am definitely with you on that (and plenty of snipers are too!). My SRT (swat) training and expereince has afforded me many opportunities to see various weapons and calibers in action.

I just threw out the .223 thing because, plainly put, I LOVE an AR 15. But with all the rifles discussed here really, many posters are comparing apples to oranges. I was not trying to split hairs. Sorry, but I tend to come off strong.
I wish I did not feel so strongly about it. Acutally, I wish I did not care. I guess I just have a bond with the .223 and the AR style rifle because of my expereice with it. And that is experience I don't really want to talk about.:eek: :eek: :eek:

For the average recreational or sport shooter, Any of the rifles discussed would be great. Ammo is readily available (for now) and not too terribly expensive. But it's not getting any cheaper.

Stay safe guys.

DixiePlowboy
11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
And that is experience I don't really want to talk about.
I know where you're coming from with this statement. I guess that's why I really didn't qualify my remarks by elaborating on experience. Some things are just better left unsaid.

No harm, no foul. I tend to come off a bit strong myself, and I really meant no offense.

Best of luck and wishes while you're in harm's way.:beer