PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing a cb in a pickup truck

timex69
11-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey
Im buying a brand new midland cb tomorrow for $35 off a friend and was wondering how hard they are to hook up? Also ive herd you need to tune them or something once they are installed. I know very little about them. Can someone with some experience fill in the blanks.

Thanks guys

tanks350x
11-10-2008, 11:34 PM
If you want to avoid hard wiring it in, go to your local radio shack and pick up a cigarette lighter adaptor to plug it in. About tuning, the more coax antenna wire the better. when tuning the antenna to the radio there should be a switch that has 3 settings, rf, swr and tune, set it to tune and key up the mic. and move the nob that says tune,(Remember you have to hold the mic keyed as you do this),, it should be the one closest to the channel indicator. Read the meter, it should tell you where it should be. When you are done with that, set the 3 way button back to rf and it should be good to go. but if the radio has an antenna light, you might have to have the coax matched with a meter,,, good luck

timex69
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
naw man i got an accessorie fuse in my fusebox so im going to hardwire it in, thats no problem. I just need to know how to tune it basicly...thanks for the advice im on my way to get my cb now.

10/4 lol

super90
11-12-2008, 03:11 AM
I have a galaxy dx99 in my truck, its wired straight to the fuse box. I also have a 400 watt amp for it. But for the tuning I would pick up a SWR meter. You can get them at almost any truck stop for cheap. You wire the coax cable from the cb to the swr and then to the antenna. Or from the cb, to swr, to and then to the antenna. For the swr you want to go for the lowest, anything under 1.5 is good. I usually go through all the channels, 1-40 on am/fm/ssb. If you have a good antenna you will have to loosen the hex screw and move the antenna up and down until you get a good reading. If you need more detailed info I can help.

timex69
11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
i got it all roughly installed for now, how do i go about running the cable though the firewall in my f150, im having a hard time finding a safe spot.

super90
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Is there any spare grommets to put it through? Also keep it away from any live wires and high heat obviously.

timex69
11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
I couldnt find any spare grommets but I have no idea really what to look for. I just ran it through under the hood between the drivers door. Anyway Okay, I diagnosed I bought a faulty cb because the volume button wasnt working so the guy traded me for a newer cobra that seems to be working and it has the tuner built in.

my antenna is a cheap one from walmart and has next to no adjustment only about half an inch. Should I return it tomorrow and buy a cobra one?

Just how do I tune it? I know somethings wrong because I cant seem to reach anyone and any noise I hear is just like static. Im sure this isnt going to be too bad of a problem.

tanks350x
11-12-2008, 11:50 PM
you're always going to have ground noise, to get rid of it turn the squelch up a bit. It's up to you on bringing the antenna back and getting the cobra. Most mobil type CB radios are lucky to get a couple mile range, unless you have an amp and really good antennas

250rAL
11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
You want to have as much of the antenna above the highest part of the truck as possible otherwise you won't have much range.

timex69
11-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Okay I bought a cobra 300 watt magnet mount antenna and its mounted on the roof, I found a spare gromit in the firewall and its all wired but according to my swr meter on my radio its still way too high.

phreakboy
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
One thing also that I did not see anyone mention is you never want to coil the extra antenna wire up, always run it the full length even if that mean having to go farther out of the way and then back to the radio, just run out the extra length somewhere. Also make sure you do not key up the mic without the antenna hooked up.