PDA

View Full Version : Your comfortable work boots are..........??

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I've been buying DUNHAM boots for a few years - wide width, no fluffly collar at the top and they run about mid high. I was happy with just about every aspect of these boots......

Now, BOB's stores no longer carries them after some buyout etc etc so I'm screwed. I looked around online and can't even find the same boot I've always bought.

I use to get them on sale for about 70$, 80$ or if I just needed them it was 100$. Of course they are worth 15$ but thats why our economy stinks. Good money for junk that doesn't last :mad:

So, what do you guys wear? I've tried the steel toe sneakers and I can feel the steel jamming on my toe. I'm about as flat footed as a person can get :lol:

I'm on concrete or in the weather all the time. I didn't even ask about what boots are warm because NONE OF THEM ARE WARM!! I just want some comfort and thick socks and I'm good to go along with a pair of gel inserts.....

Do I have to spend 200$? because I will.... I don't need or like the full height boots. I'm up and down ladders all day. Mid height, comfy and some sort of durability would be great.

Please give me some input :w00t: and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta get boots real soon!

fatcat
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Rockys are a really good boot wolverine durashocks are also good kinda expensive. but they last. if you want cheap go to walmart and get some Bramas there descent for the money.. you may check around you area for a discount shoe store.. ive seen $180 rockys go for $35-$50 NEW just old stock....

Greiver430x
11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
:( I work at a papermill and am up and down cat walks, ladders on concrete all day etc. I find Red Wings to be pretty long lasting and comfy but expensive. Rocky boots are just as good imo but about half the price. I go through about two pairs a year no matter what though, we wallow around in grease, waste water from the paper machine, caustic and various other nasty forms grime. It kinda takes a toll on your boots when the waste water can eat stainless steel.:( Either of those are great if you can get them.

edog
11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Red Wings all the way. You can replace the soles when they wear out.

KASEY
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
i am on my feet a;; day too,,, i wore georga boots for 10 years,great boots .. i likes the model they had,, steel toes, double insulated with thinsulate and gore-tex for water proof,,, perfect for washington weather,,, ,, when i moved to AZ i got a couple of pair of red wings!! both brands are about $200 a pair,,,

Macs
11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I used to work in the local refineries. Every boot i tried wore out within 6 months. I have had redwings, wolverines and everything in between. I wouldnt wear out the soles but the supports would quickly get trashed. I then stumbled across Timberland boots from Academy. They were $79.99. They were the PRO Laceups. Kinda ugly to look at but they were extrmly light weight, water proof and rated for 600 volts. I have had 2 pairs in 5 years. Actually, i still have the last ones in the closet with plenty of life left in them. Most comfortable boot i have had by a long shot. I am not sure if they still make them but they were brown and the hiking boot style. I have recommended them to everyone and all the people i know still in the industry wear them.

Vealmonkey
11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I've been a fan or Red Wings for years. They actually have a shoe truck that comes to the plant every fall and then returns to bring whatever he didn't have on the truck that day. Very convienant to say the least. The guy that has the shoe truck only sells steel toe shoes and he beats the prices in the Red Wing stores. He doesn't have the overhead of a storefront so he can offer great discounts. I like the medium high, with the synthetic soles in black when I can get them. You can take them to any Red Wing store and get them re water proofed any time. I do alot of walking between buildings and up and down stairs and walk through my fair share of chemicals and oil and alcohol and such and the soles hold up well. The heels get some wear after a good year or so but there is no problem getting them resoled if I wanted to. We are allowed one pair of shoes a year, so I just get a new pair every year when the truck shows up. Good luck with whatever you choose.

hancadam
11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I love Wolverine Durashocks, but they are expensive. Thats what I currently have now. I also have had a couple pair of Redheads, not bad boots for the money since there cheap. I wouldn't recommend Timberland pro's, mine didn't last long at all. I order mine from Ebay, had good luck doing that with my last 3 pairs.

Billy Golightly
11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I actually have wore just about all the big name brands of boots. Redwings, Georgias, Justins, Wolverines, and a few others...I always come back to the $45 "Brahama" boots from Walmart that are made out of yellow leather. They have a nice wide toe area, a good distance up above the ankle but not stupid far, and they laces last pretty long before they need to be replaced with rawhide ones. I smear em heavy with mink oil for waterproofing, and yank the inner soles out and put Dr. Schol's gel inserts in within the first week of having them, as soon as the leather is broke in and loosend up. By the time thats done, their comfortable enough for me to stand on for 13-14 hours a day and not be miserable. Total cost with the mink oil, and gel inserts is like probably $55. And these will last me in just about the worst conditions possible about 8-9 months until the stitching breaks loose or I demolish the bottom sole from foot pegs and kickstart levers. The soles are pretty oil resistant and have good traction too, I've climbed around on the sides and tops of equipment before that were slick and not busted my ass yet. They are a little bit on the heavy side, but not terribly bad.

You might give them a try before you shell out a couple hundred bucks for some red wings or other expensive boots because for me these are just plain better with a few mods.

Blown 331
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Red Wings all the way. You can replace the soles when they wear out.

Agree. I have several pairs that are over 10 years old and are made in the USA, support our economy!

smokinwrench
11-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I have had the same problem, I wore Wolverine durashocks for years got about 1.5-2 years on every pair, then they quit making that model and changed sole design, non of them feel good anymore. Since then I have tried many brands Brahama fairly comfortable small toe area and wear out fast. Rocky tongue so stiff my feet were bruised so bad I could barely walk. Redwing to much arch for me. Thorogoods, are horrible. Georgia have ZERO cushion on ball of foot. Redwing just uncomfortable. I've had others this is just boots I have had in the last couple years. When it comes to comfort I don't care what it costs.

With this new job I walk on concrete and grating all day everyday and have had a terrible time, 4 pairs of boots in the last year. I think I finally found a good comfortable steel toe. Michelin, they are more of a hiking boot so not sure how they are gonna hold up but very comfortable after 3 months now, 2 other guys at work got them and think the same thing. We got them off a truck that comes to our plant called Lehigh https://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/

This is what I'm wearing now https://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/products/details.aspx?productId=4879&lehighproductId=1500XPS553&Gender=01&pageno=10

Yes my wife says I'm worse then any woman ever about shoes.

DeePa
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
that place delivers to my work too...we get 120 to spend there, im using some tim pro steel toe sneakers...could run in them if i want to

honda250sx
11-24-2008, 11:05 PM
When it comes to boots, Wolverine Durashocks and Multishocks are where my heart is. I work on gigantic CNC equipment. In and out of machinery, oil, coolant, metal chips, you name it. They soldier thru it all. My work buys me a pair every year religiously. I have about 4 pairs new in the box for someday. I still can't get out of my originals. These things are like walking on cloud nine when it comes to walking on concrete.

Another thing I went and had done was mold's of my feet. Good Feet store can do this for you. This way I get inserts for my boots. Its incredible the difference makes. Walking/working in good boots and having the proper support will make you feel alot better. From your hips up thru your back you'll feel the difference. I'm a young guy. But I watched my old man suffer enough from years of being an union operating engineer running every piece of equipment under the sun and hoping in and out of them in TEXAS STEER walmart brand boots. Needless to say he had two full hip replacements by the time he was 50!

I forgot to mention. I don't run steel toes. But I run the composite toe instead. Takes years of too. SUPER LIGHT!

Do it right Steve, buy good boots, find a place to get some insoles made and be a happy happy man.

tanks350x
11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
There is nothing more important than a good pair of boots, shoes I personally wear Harley Davidson boots from Hot Leathers,, Turned out to be the best pair of boots I ever had. As far as you being flat footed, I'm the same way,I even was suffereing from a slight pinched nerve in my back from sleeping all twisted up one night. I bought a pair of Dr. Schols gel inserts and problem solved after a couple of weeks. It's amazing how much your feet affect the rest of your body, and how important a good pair of shoes are

85burbanator
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM
i lay asphalt in the summer and have tried many different styles of boots between me and my buddy. we both agreed that the diehard suretrack boots from sears are the most comfortable, durable boots weve tried. the break in sucks on em and will rub your ankles raw (duct tape around the inner part of the upper makes a world of difference) but once they are broken in they are the most comfortable boots we tried for under 100 bucks. he even had some redwings and they didnt last a full season, the diehards are on season 2 and going. everyone on our crew swears by the diehards while everyone on the other crew buys new boots every couple months.

300rman
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Wolverine Durashocks are awesomei was on my feet 6+ hours a day and used the same pair for 3 years, and i still have them around.
I have heard MANY good things about Redwings. With redwing shoes, they are radically different, and getting one that works for you could take 1-2 trips back to the store over a week or 2 to find ones that work for you.
the local redwing dealer will exchange the boots for a different style if you come back in a week and they are uncomfortable.

Erics350x
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Dr. Martens , they are alittle pricey but well worth it.

Itrike
11-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Man I've had a bunch also . Ive worked it steel plants oil ref , power plants(nuke and dirt burners) just abought anything with a process , I like the red wings for a long run , bramas from walmart are comfy. The last pair i got from a farm supply type stor (farm and fleet here) were work and sports they had the composit toe and were good for cold weather. I bought them for the nuke plants (metaL detectors) but they wore out fast. Red wing for now on!

Twilight
11-25-2008, 01:28 AM
I buy mine at the local fred meyer. Timberland Mudsill Low, steel toe sneakers, my current pair is 3 years old and still kicking.

I do racking, welding, lifting, and various other jobs as the companies tool, lol

The Goat
11-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Dirty

Head to zappos.com

free shipping to your house, and if they don't fit right, you can ship them back for free for a new size. plus they are cheap as hell

I've had a pair of doc martens for 9 years now...they aren't that great when you first start wearing em, give em a week and they are glorious. Be sure to get them a half a size larger than you usually would. helps a lot. Nice and wide, and you will NOT wear out the soles. I've seen someone road surf at 120mph for 2 minutes straight, and he shoes still had a small bit of grip left.

50-190 bucks...and just a damned good shoe. put some beewax on em...and they'll look brand new.

I do have a pair of wolverines but I never wear the damned thing. They are comfortable, but they feel slightly stiff to me.

I've walked rebar at a friends job in my docs for a whole day...and my feet were fine. I also stand still for 8-12 hours each day in em...damned good shoe.

Russell 350X
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Rockys are the best boots I've used. If you don't need steel toe, and are out in the cold all day, get some Muck boots, keep my feet dry and warm all day. My newest pair of boots are Chippawas. they were 150$ at a local place, basically a logger boot, but are awsome.

ProCarbine2k1
11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Timberland PRO, mid high's with the titanite toe. Very tough boot, and VERY warm. My feet were always cold, and I survived this past winter welding outside when it was sub zero. Didnt think I was going to make it through that job!
My feet are wide.. and the Timberlands were the only boots that felt good on my feet. Ive always worn Rockys, but their toe section seems like its the same width on their regular and wide sizes.

fabiodriven
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sporting Carolina's now. Tried the Chippewa's (at like $220 fricken bucks or something ridiculous) and they absolutely KILLED my feet for two weeks. I had to bring 'em back. And I'm no stranger to new boots. I served in the army!

The Carolina's are great. Nice and warm, and never hurt my feet. Although I think the only boot that ever did were those Chippewa's.

I looked at the Timberlands, and they just looked so cheezy. They don't weigh anything, there's glue everywhere. I was disgusted when I really looked at them. I think you're just buying a name with those things.