PDA

View Full Version : A cheap oven

The Goat
11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Let's say I was to build a large metal box....6 feet long, 2 feet wide, 3 feet tall. One bottom portion of the box has slots cuts in it. I then place a propane burner under those slots.

Placing a thermometer on the opposite end, would it not be possible to use this crude oven to do powdercoating?

It's cheap, adjusting the height of the flame would control temperature, once the half inch metal heated, it would stay a reasonably constant temperature for a few hours with minimal heat.

oh...and did I mention it's cheap as hell.

as long as it's outside, seems like it would be an effective oven...a coonass microwave used for powdercoat.

bash away...before I go out and buy some new welding rods and go nuts.

Erics350x
11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
you need a vent at the top, other than that it should work if it'll get hot enough.

The Goat
11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
well I was thinking it could be top loading...so the ven twould essential be the cracks at the top.

ATC-Eric
11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
You probably want some sort of fan to circulate the air inside.

I wish I could give you more info then this, but my old powder coater did this. His oven was probably 8ft tall, by 12ft wide, by 5 ft deep. Just some guy working out of his garage. Had a propane burner hangin in the side of it, with a thermostat temp gauge to regulate. Did a really good job, he did all sorts of large items, even fencing :lol:

Anyways, no reason to bash, all you need is the right constant temp, nothin wrong with your idea.

The Goat
11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
gives me an idea though...the problem is I need a blaster, gun, and probably a better air compressor.

ATC-Eric
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Sounds like about $400 to me. Get that out of the way, do a couple jobs for some locals, and all the equipment pays for itself!

Sprocks been talkin bout it for a while, Im gonna get him to go through with it so I can use his gear :lol:

oOGoFastOo
11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
You could also use it to heat your shop while using it to powder coat things. :lol:

Macs
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
It would be a good idea to make a fire box at one end with just a few vents to the materials box. This will keep the heat more evenly distributed and keep certain areas of the powder coating from getting direct heat.

Dirtcrasher
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Are you scoring free metal Goat? Metal isn't very inexpensive, what did you have in mind??

My free Craigslist oven does the trick, but I too want something larger.....

The Goat
11-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Dirt there's tons of old abandoned oil tanks around here and miles and miles of old 2 inch gasline pipe....I'm pretty sure I can get as much as I want without anyone saying a word. at this point it's just all rotting in the woods.

It will all have a slight bend in it, but to be honest, the tanks are so large, it won't make that big of a difference, plus it doesn't have to be perfect at all.

I can gorilla weld with ease...it won't be pretty but it won't break either.

I'm liking that idea of a fire box. If I had the burner firing into that box, slits in the side of the box....slits at the other end would remove the need for a fan to circulate air. I could also put some bricks in the firebox side to maintain heat...

The issue is that the oven is the easy part...a large blasting cabinet and a air compressor capable of blasting and spraying powder is the hard part. and by hard I mean $$$$$

DeePa
11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
you dont need high pressure to pc...the guns run at less than 10 psi, you just need a compressor that will blast for you.

I have a 25 gal .5 hp electric craftsman that works good enough, but it runs constantly, and whenever it shuts off and drops pressure, itll trip the breaker in the basement, making me have to go and switch it back. If i keep it running, it works fine...loud as hell though...

Mike

The Goat
11-27-2008, 05:40 PM
just curious about something...I have galvanized tank steel.

Think that would be an issue with the fumes? anyone know what temp that stuff burns off.

Dirtcrasher
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Yep, galvanized metal gives off bad fumes when welded.... People do it outside and wear a respirator. Not sure what it does at 400 degrees.... Just remember that the inside of that tank has to be clean and dust/crap free during curing.

gravelyman
11-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I have welded lots of galvanized steel. if the fumes get to ya and you will feel like crap. but a glass of milk will make it go away. i dont know why but it works.

The Goat
11-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I actually knew about the milk thing. nobody down here wears respirators or follows any of the proper safety guidelines....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was more concerned about it hurting my powdercoating if I go with this idea.:p