PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass mold forming ????

SYKO
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I want to make a large scale fiberglass reproduction (trunk lid for 1962 lincoln continental)

has any one done something as big as that? how do I go about making a mold and what with? plaster? foam?

also where can I get bulk amounts of fiberglass? how big does it come? do I need to gel coat it afterwards or can I just sand and prime?

finding a deck lid for this car is near impossible and when you do they are astronimical in price. the last one I got I paid as much for it as the car and it isnt usable but maybe to make a form for.

I also have a sweet fiberglass low pro trike racing rear fender I would like to reproduce possibly

thanx in advance

Vealmonkey
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
If you go on youtube, there is a guy here in baltimore that has videos on there and I think the name is fast glass. Just go to youtube and type in fiberglass mold making. Fiberglass cloth can come in sheets or large rolls. Once you have your mold made which is made from fiberglass and might want to make foam reinforcement ribs and fiberglass them to the outside of the mode to give it rigidity. When you go to make your fiberglass part, after you wax the heck out of your mold, then your first step is to spray in your gelcoat. After you have your gelcoat all coated up, then you start laying your fiberglass. Once you have your out trunk all glassed up, then you will have to have some kind of reinforcement for the underside of your trunk like the factory had or your trunk will just flex all over the place and crack your gelcoat and your paint job. There are alot of good vidoes on youtube to give you an idea of what is involved in mold making. The guys that are making are Tiger molds up here are doing really nice work. I hope you have that kind of end results. Also the more time you spend on getting your mold just right, the better the fiberglass part will turn out. Preparation is everything, but you know that from painting.

Erics350x
11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
we made all of ours using fiberglass and reinforced it with wood and metal

smokinwrench
11-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Syko, maybe you should find a good body man to repair that deck lid for ya!!! I just had to throw that jab in there HAHA

SYKO
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Syko, maybe you should find a good body man to repair that deck lid for ya!!! I just had to throw that jab in there HAHA

hahahaha! I might yet still roll a new skin for it, the problem is the frame is shot, theres no way to fix it as its well beyond repair, I could roll a new outer skin and then bead roll a underskin for strenght, but its a one time shot as this thing is huge and metal wont be cheap if I F it up eh?

88 Turbo Coupe
11-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Find a marina that does fiberglass work or builds boats.

LonesomeTriZ
11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
hahahaha! I might yet still roll a new skin for it, the problem is the frame is shot, theres no way to fix it as its well beyond repair, I could roll a new outer skin and then bead roll a underskin for strenght, but its a one time shot as this thing is huge and metal wont be cheap if I F it up eh?

Nothing is beyond repair. If you can weld on it, you can repair it. :welcome:

SYKO
11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Find a marina that does fiberglass work or builds boats.

sound like a plan! I wounder if any ponds around my house has any marina's.....lmfao! no ocean here bud!:lol:

LonesomeTriZ
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
There was a show on the Discovery channel that had the proccess covered.

SYKO
12-01-2008, 12:17 AM
well that show isnt playing in my head now is it? go play in the sand!

LonesomeTriZ
12-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Is there anything playing in your head? Look up the dicover channel on the internet (I know they have a web site) and see if you can locate that show. It would be worth buying if it takes you through a step by step proccess.

Homie...

Twilight
12-01-2008, 12:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_How_It%27s_Made_episodes

Episode 21

LonesomeTriZ
12-01-2008, 05:03 AM
That was a good find Twilight.