seddon
11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et4YUis5PWQ&feature=related

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_mX2pZRBio

for all of u who hate fords

phreakboy
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
eh but in the end "Chevys rust and Fords break down and DODGE is there to pull them around..

SWIGIN
11-27-2008, 11:22 AM
eh but in the end "Chevys rust and Fords break down and DODGE is there to pull them around..

oh yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQ16CxtrgM&feature=related

phreakboy
11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Its truly sad that people think hooking bumper to bumper prooves anything. You could hook the same trucks together 20 times and get a different winner each time, its all about traction not power, in order to win one all you have to do is hold you feet on the brakes, wait till the other one starts to loose a little traction and then feather the brake and gas and you will win. It has nothing to do with power or whats better, its all in the driver.

I drove tow truck for about 7 years and I can gaurantee that I towed way more chevys and fords than I ever towed dodges. Fords have more stupid bullshit problems with their trucks especially the powerchoke and chevy with the duracrap. The main thing chevy had going for them over the years is the 350 and its abundance of aftermarket parts which is the reason you see the motor used a lot in all sorts of applications, but unfortunatly they have yet to be able to make a body that in a couple years doesnt start rusting, hell a family members 05 pickup had rust on the roof before it hit 40,000 miles which is truly sad. Hell about a month ago I towed a ford rollback with my DODGE, its truly ok though we all know that ford owners are just wanna be dodge owners, ford has done nothing but follow all of the dodge designs on pickups for quite a few years. As soon as dodge has a new body, ford makes a very similar looking one a year or two later.

Gearheadtom
11-27-2008, 05:58 PM
On those videos it was mostly all pulling. A tractor could pull a ford, but a tractor is slower than a ford. What does that say about Chevy's if a ford pulled a Chev?

SWIGIN
11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
On those videos it was mostly all pulling. A tractor could pull a ford, but a tractor is slower than a ford. What does that say about Chevy's if a ford pulled a Chev?

tactor = torque

so i would say it means the ford had the traction to put the torque to the ground.

SWIGIN
11-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Its truly sad that people think hooking bumper to bumper prooves anything. You could hook the same trucks together 20 times and get a different winner each time, its all about traction not power, in order to win one all you have to do is hold you feet on the brakes, wait till the other one starts to loose a little traction and then feather the brake and gas and you will win. It has nothing to do with power or whats better, its all in the driver.

I drove tow truck for about 7 years and I can gaurantee that I towed way more chevys and fords than I ever towed dodges. Fords have more stupid bullshit problems with their trucks especially the powerchoke and chevy with the duracrap. The main thing chevy had going for them over the years is the 350 and its abundance of aftermarket parts which is the reason you see the motor used a lot in all sorts of applications, but unfortunatly they have yet to be able to make a body that in a couple years doesnt start rusting, hell a family members 05 pickup had rust on the roof before it hit 40,000 miles which is truly sad. Hell about a month ago I towed a ford rollback with my DODGE, its truly ok though we all know that ford owners are just wanna be dodge owners, ford has done nothing but follow all of the dodge designs on pickups for quite a few years. As soon as dodge has a new body, ford makes a very similar looking one a year or two later.

ha ha ha....just a come back in good fun to your remark

i think they all are junk now a days but you didnt see as many dodges since there are more fords and chevy out there to be towed.

and i think we all know it all comes down to putting torque to the road....lol

Gearheadtom
11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
tactor = torque

so i would say it means the ford had the traction to put the torque to the ground.
Tractors have a lot of torque, but they are slow, and you say fords have a lot torque, one would think that they are also slow. Slower than a Chev.

The Goat
11-27-2008, 10:46 PM
and yet the new tundra is quicker than all of them....

And more thought went into it's design than any other pickup out there today. It's all about the little things...and toyota trucks have always done em right.

z400guy28
11-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Dodges have tranny problems. 2 of my friends both own dodges, 1 a Dakota and the other 1500. 02 Dakota's tranny went on him with 87,000 miles on it. The Ram 1500 which is a 02 had the tranny go with 52,000 on it. I'm a huge chevy fan and i hate ford but My Uncle has an 04 Tundra crew cab with 101,000 on it. (works in construction and is on the road 5 days a weak) and has yet to have any problems with it. Like Goat said they are a very reliable truck. If i were to get a new truck it would be the Tundra.

83ATC185S
11-28-2008, 01:58 AM
This is as pointless as Honda vs Yamaha vs Kawasaki Trikes, They all have their good and bad points, They all rust,breakdown and have to get pulled around sometimes. They all have their engineering flaws somewhere, nobody builds a perfect truck.

You will hear about stories with all the top manufacturers about how "so and so's truck went for 300,000 miles without a problem" and also hear about all the lemons. Its really how its taken care of,driven,and even where in the world the truck is.

SWIGIN
11-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Tractors have a lot of torque, but they are slow, and you say fords have a lot torque, one would think that they are also slow. Slower than a Chev.

dumbest and most generic thing i have heard in a while.......you guys seem to take it hard when a ford does well.

lighten up

seddon
11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
my buddy has a dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 4 wheel drive and i have a 1989 f 250 7.3 diseal 2 wheel drive and he whats to have a pull off would i win just going of it or will i have to do any thing else to win i hear and he just floors it from the start what would be the best way to win my buddys who are die hard chevy and dodge fans think i would win both time if he is in 4wheel or 2 wheel i would win

The Goat
11-28-2008, 03:17 PM
four wheel drive my money is on him unless you have an elephant in the back of your truck.

ATC-Eric
11-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I pulled a bobcat out of a mudhole with my tahoe.....

The Goat
11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I pushed an Impala out of a ditch with my scion Xb...lol

cybrman
11-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I am a Ford man and always have been. My Dad was too (which I'm sure is where I got it from). My brother is a Ford mechanic.

Personally I could care less if you buy a Ford, Dodge or Chevy....
other than that just remember where your money goes when you buy foreign!
It goes overseas and then we have to print more money to take its place lol.

Buy American! Employ an American Worker (it may be your brother!)
Ya I know that lots of foreign cars are made in America, but don't forget who owns the company and where their headquarters are located!

The Goat
11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm sorry man, but if at any point a foreign product is superior, I will not hesitate to buy it.

If I want heavy equipment, yeah, american made, a good rifle, american made, a heavy duty truck, american made...tools, american made...but that's pretty much where the list ends for me.

Too much of the japanese stuff is of a much higher quality. look at our bikes...20+ years old...a lot of them still running on an original bore and like a top.

The soul exception being my 97 grand am...I kept the pedal to the floor for EVERY shift, I melted the plastic sides of the heater core. and at 160k it ran like the day it came off the showroom floor.

Now that was a vehicle that could pull like a mule.

cybrman
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I can't argue with a buyer who wants the best quality.

It should be the objective of our American companies to at least provide the same level of quality and style of the foreign companies and win back buyers, in true capitalistic fashion.

There are many facets to this debate, and I don't have the time or statistics to
spell it all out.

In my opinion the bottom line is labor cost. American labor is much more expensive because we want to make "our fair share". Foreign labor is cheaper meaning you get more value for your $. This allows foreign companies the margin to be able to afford more Research and Development and bells and whistles as well as the core stuff like drivetrain and engine Q/A and still be able to undercut American manufacturers costs. The playing field is not level because of our own greedy gluttonous lifestyles.

So continue to buy foreign and continue to watch American unemployment rise.
In 30 years we'll all be landscapers and maids renting from Chinese landowners in our own land.

The Goat
11-28-2008, 07:34 PM
well then we need to stop screwing ourselves...and a economic depression would actually be....a good thing?

cybrman
11-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Hell I don't know, it may just be some much needed "medicine". Though the problem always is those in need of a renewed appreciation for whats important, usually aren't the ones who would be impacted. We can see an example in the recent string of bailouts.
Part of me really wants a Tundra lol.

phreakboy
11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
ha ha ha....just a come back in good fun to your remark

i think they all are junk now a days but you didnt see as many dodges since there are more fords and chevy out there to be towed.

and i think we all know it all comes down to putting torque to the road....lol

I too agree that it is all in good fun, I am a die hard dodge guy but like I said they all have their goods and bads. I will say though for those that like the tundras, they are a nice truck but they have the same problem that american vehicles had back in the day and that is the fact that you cant have a truck rated so high in weight class and expect to run 5 lugs axles, they have quite a tendency to crack and have big problems. There have been quite a few that had to be towed for that reason. Otherwise I do think they are a decent looking truck.

SYKO
11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
This is as pointless as Honda vs Yamaha vs Kawasaki Trikes, They all have their good and bad points, They all rust,breakdown and have to get pulled around sometimes. They all have their engineering flaws somewhere, nobody builds a perfect truck.

You will hear about stories with all the top manufacturers about how "so and so's truck went for 300,000 miles without a problem" and also hear about all the lemons. Its really how its taken care of,driven,and even where in the world the truck is.

real talk

I had a 01 dodge x cab sport 318, that I ran the piss out of it, sold it at 68k and the new owner drove it untill he sold it at nearly 180k with no problems, great truck.

then my 99 f-250 powerstroke day cab 2wd, shattered the tourqe converter at 30k put in a heavy duty aftermarket added a bully dog controler and some free flowing exhaust and intake, and turned it into a monstor... once again other then the tourqe converter no problems sold it at 125k

picked up my current stead 97 f-150 x cab 2wd, I drive this truck like its a indy car! lol! since its lowered and I firmed up the ride the handleing is great, its been a great truck and plan on keeping it for a LOOONG time, its currently chillin at 168k with only the facotry ac compresor changed out,

in the past I had a 95 yukon, 87 dodge d-50 and they were great vehicles

all my trucks have been great and from differnt manufacters

any truck can be a POS if it isnt taken care of as well

there isnt really anything new out there that catches my fancy plus im a broke mofo and unless they start giving new trucks away wont never own a new truck.:cry:

The Goat
11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I just can't afford the gas for a truck...so I'm driving small cars.

hancadam
11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Check out the Tundra forums. They have had a few problems:
Tailgates coming unglued (yes there glued)
Camshafts breaking
Torque converter issues
Bed bounce

MattR
11-29-2008, 12:31 AM
How many DODGES, CHEVYS, and TOYOTAS does it take to pull this Ford around? lol..Sorry could not resist that.

Actually in the true end, it mainly comes down to the driver. The vehicle depends on many factors like how well it has been maintained, engine type, gear ratio, tire depth/tread design, and so on...

I like the old trucks back in the 70's. They do not require a computer being hooked up to the vehicle's brain box to fix the dang thing. Take that load of cash you want to spend on a new truck and invest in an old truck to fix up with the remaining money and you have a real American made truck that will not only turn heads, yet will outdo any of the new junk out there. :beer

Matt

phreakboy
11-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Here is one that would do it at idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_5EwsrDts

1450 HP and it was something like 2000 tq

Otherwise a stock cummins would pull it.

MattR
11-29-2008, 08:54 AM
On dial up so tend to not open videos..takes way too long.

Otherwise a stock cummins would pull it.

If you are serious and actually believe that, I better hope I can find some waders, the kind that go chest high, cuz it is getting really deep in here...lol.

Matt

DixiePlowboy
11-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I like the old trucks back in the 70's. They do not require a computer being hooked up to the vehicle's brain box to fix the dang thing. Take that load of cash you want to spend on a new truck and invest in an old truck to fix up with the remaining money and you have a real American made truck that will not only turn heads, yet will outdo any of the new junk out there. :beer

Matt

My favorite vehicle is a dinsoaur. I drove a '75 International Scout II(4x4/304/T-19 4-speed) for 3 years back before fuel got high. Built like a tank with a longer drivetrain life-expectancy than most new vehicles.

Second choice behind IH would be a dead tie between Ford and Jeep.

phreakboy
11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
On dial up so tend to not open videos..takes way too long.

If you are serious and actually believe that, I better hope I can find some waders, the kind that go chest high, cuz it is getting really deep in here...lol.

Matt

What does it actually weight In at?
well I found the answer shipping weight is 19,730 even being generous and saying the plow weight 2000 which I doubt it does, your talking about 11 tons. I have seen a stock cummins pull an 80k rig without any hesitation. So yes there is actually no reason that a stock cummins couldnt pull that.

phreakboy
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
My favorite vehicle is a dinsoaur. I drove a '75 International Scout II(4x4/304/T-19 4-speed) for 3 years back before fuel got high. Built like a tank with a longer drivetrain life-expectancy than most new vehicles.

Second choice behind IH would be a dead tie between Ford and Jeep.

I love the old scouts, where I worked, we actually had a 72? scout diesel that I used to run around in, we actually sold it and the guy drove it back to NY.

Also while I was running the skidsteer one day digging down about 2-3 feet for a fence I was installing at the junk yard, I was running along and came to a quite sudden stop due to something in the ground. I ended up getting our loader a pulling out an old scout that was buried who knows how long ago and for what reason. Unfortunatly their really wasnt much usuable other then the axles, but it was still pretty cool.

Greiver430x
11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
You know what they call a car carrier with a load of dodge pickups, A garbage truck lol. They all have their good points doge has the cummins which is the superior diesel imo. They seem to have alot of tranny problems though, fords and chevys seem to be able to put up with way more abuse. As far as longeveity my f-150 had 360000 miles on it and still ran like a mother. No smoke or anything, but the 300 straight six was one of the best engines ever imo.

seddon
11-29-2008, 12:01 PM
ford ownes the cummis now

phreakboy
11-29-2008, 01:02 PM
ford ownes the cummis now

I am really not going to get into this one, but just as it has always been, its a myth. Ford does not own cummins, and never will own cummins.

I remembered seeing a very good explanation on here before so I decided to just quote it to again put down the bs.

Before this goes any further, let me clarify the Ford-Cummins connection. (deep breath) Ford, in 1990, bought LESS THAN 10% OF STOCK in Cummins (1.3M shares), as they were (and still are) using Cummins engines as an option in their medium and heavy-duty truck lines. Cummins is its own company, and has always been under its express control. Chrysler approached Cummins to use their 6BT and later 6BTA engines in their pickups when the need for a light-duty diesel pickup arose in the US market. Yes, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are considered light duty. Chrysler had previously used Mitsubishi 6DR5 diesels in the 78-79 models in an attempt to exploit their fuel mileage, but they were very underpowered and never sold well, so they were dropped. Mitsubishi built the Ram 50 pickup for Dodge, and the two companies have been partners since the early seventies, so the Mitsu diesel was a natural choice at the time. The 6B engine family was never designed to go in a pickup. It was designed to be a heavy-duty service engine for use in boats, forklifts, generators, etc. As a matter of fact, we have several 36,500lb forklifts here with 6BT engines in them. They just happened to have the power characteristics that Chrysler was looking for, and they fit in their engine bays, so a deal was struck. Back to the Ford rumor, they only owned shares, but later sold them back to Cummins in January of 1997. The day after Ford was bought out, Cummins' shares actually ROSE $1.25, closing at $46 on 04JAN97. Ford has never had any contolling interest in Cummins and they never will. Sorry for the novel, but this subject pisses me off to no end because it's been nearly eleven years since the buy-out and this rumor still won't die.

Yamada
11-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Well New Holland own Ford, and New Holland create a partnership with Cummins to use their engine. New Holland and Case IH tractor are the same thing. Fiat owns all of those.

MattR
11-30-2008, 01:27 AM
What does it actually weight In at?
well I found the answer shipping weight is 19,730 even being generous and saying the plow weight 2000 which I doubt it does, your talking about 11 tons. I have seen a stock cummins pull an 80k rig without any hesitation. So yes there is actually no reason that a stock cummins couldnt pull that.

I can think of one reason...Start the Ford tractor up and put it in gear. Big difference between just pulling it, which is like towing it, and actually having both trying to outpull each other. Anyways, enough of this since I was just trying to joke around with the mention of a Ford tractor with the "my ford is better than your Chevy" type of discussion.

Personally I have owned Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. While Dodges break a bit above average for me, Chevys seem to break down with me just looking at them...lol.. I have had my best luck with Ford. Somebody mentioned the straight 6 (300) Ford engine, yeah that is a workhorse that never seem to want to die.

Best thing to remember is no matter how tough your truck is, somebody will build one to beat it.

:beer
Matt

Tri-Z Pilot
11-30-2008, 01:42 AM
I love the old scouts, where I worked, we actually had a 72? scout diesel that I used to run around in, we actually sold it and the guy drove it back to NY.

Also while I was running the skidsteer one day digging down about 2-3 feet for a fence I was installing at the junk yard, I was running along and came to a quite sudden stop due to something in the ground. I ended up getting our loader a pulling out an old scout that was buried who knows how long ago and for what reason. Unfortunatly their really wasnt much usuable other then the axles, but it was still pretty cool.

My cousin put a gremlin body on an old scout chassis and painted it up like the grape ape, even had the gorilla on the sides, I think it had 40's or something close on it. Now that was a site to see, lol

phreakboy
11-30-2008, 09:39 AM
My cousin put a gremlin body on an old scout chassis and painted it up like the grape ape, even had the gorilla on the sides, I think it had 40's or something close on it. Now that was a site to see, lol

Sounds cool, there was actually a local custom shop that stuck and late 80s iroc body on a scout chassis and stuck it on 44's, I will have to see if I can find the pics of it. It looked like it would be fun to play in.

Blown 331
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM

My cousin hooked his 84 F-150 with mismatched ratio 3/4 ton rear, straight 6, 4-speed back to back with a friends 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 350. And the straight 6 drug him all over the place! :lol:

phreakboy
12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
My cousin hooked his 84 F-150 with mismatched ratio 3/4 ton rear, straight 6, 4-speed back to back with a friends 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 350. And the straight 6 drug him all over the place! :lol:

Exactly my point, Its obvious that the 300 cyl has a lot less power then the 350 v8, but like you said the 6 banger out pulled. I have seen this so many times yet people still think that hooking bumper to bumper prooves who has more power.

Erics350x
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
i used to build wrecks, and you wouldn't believe how much better the frame alone on Toyota is built than all the American made trucks

hancadam
12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
i used to build wrecks, and you wouldn't believe how much better the frame alone on Toyota is built than all the American made trucks

My father in law is a body man and swears by the exact opposite. He has been doing it for 37 years. He is a die hard Ford fan. I myself love all trucks; favorite engines would be GM, favorite looks would be the new Dodge Ram.