PDA

View Full Version : 350X sleeve spin out of the cylinder?

Billy Golightly
11-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Hmmm well I took my cylinder in from my 350X project to be bored Wednesday, went back by this morning and I was informed that in the process of trying to bore it that the sleeve spun inside the cylinder. The Sleeve is no longer secure in the cylinder in fact its pretty damn loose. I can't say I've ever heard of this happening before, anyone else ever had this problem? Doesn't seem like it was loose when I took it to him. I'm wondering if maybe he didn't set it up right and it just spun out of it. My dad thinks that this cylinder has been re-sleeved before and that whoever done it didn't do it right. Which I believe also. I have 2 other cylinders I can use but I want to make sure It doesn't happen to another one. Bill, or anyone else, any comments or suggestions?

MR ATC
11-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Billy, without seeing it i'm only speculating but it dose sound like it was one of the two possibilities you mentioned. i would lean more to the resleeved previously theroy although it is possible to spin it by not setting up the boreing bar properly but it would most likly damage his machine as well. also dose this guy bore motorcycle cylinders usually or is he a car guy? is there a gouge on the cylinder surface from were his bit might have caught it and spun it? either way your best bet is to use one of your other sleeves/cylinders and save the loose one for a big bore project.

Dirtcrasher
11-01-2002, 06:04 PM
I've never seen a boring tool for cylinders but due to the depth involved it must be a fairly rigid and sizable boring bar. If they tried to cut off too much I would imagine the cutting bit insert would snap before it tore the sleeve out. Just like everything thats pressed in you can only presss them in and out so many times before they just don't have the same tolerences. I wonder how many thousands of an inch interference fit there is from cylinder bore I.D. to sleeve O.D.?? .002-.004?? It must have caught while he wasn't watching it and just a couple of revolutions must've really slopped it up.

OldSchoolin86
11-01-2002, 10:45 PM
My bet is on a bad re-sleeve. Someone probably did a crapy cold crush on it.